Anti-seize

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Anti-seize

Post by JD Spydo »

Supacede wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:12 am
Hey spydergirl,

We work with anti-seize everyday, it's designed to allow high torque applications from seizing up over time in the elements be it weather, corrosive environments, extreme temps etc.

It's designed to allow fastener removal after years of in service in tough environments. Most grades are made with graphite and/or copper which doesn't really degrade over time, prevents fasteners from siezijg together and aids in fastener removal.

Anti-seize had no inherent fastening/thread sealing capabilities like a pipe dope or thread locker. It's solely designed to allow fasteners to be broke free after installation and usage.

I don't really see anti-seize being useful in any part of a pocketknife unless maybe one has extremely corrosive sweat or something.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and to address jd spydo, most grades are readily available to public some just more expensive than others.
Interesting rundown on anti-seize compound "Supacede". By chance have you ever used that "nuclear grade" anti-seize compound that I mentioned earlier? Because I noticed that it was different from any other anti-seize compound I had used in the past or have used in recent times as well. I figure it must have a higher heat tolerance or other properties that make it ideal for use in Nuclear Power Plants?

Just wondered if you ever dealt with that grade of anti-seize compound before?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Anti seize is exactly that. It keeps things from seizing. It doesn’t aid in keeping threads from loosening over time, it helps keep them removable. I put it on oxygen sensor/air fuel ratio sensor threads so that the sensors will not seize in the exhaust pipe. I also use it on exhaust studs and bolts so that if I, or anyone else has to remove it down the road to perform a repair it will be much easier on us and the customers wallet. I also use it on some other things but there’s 2 really good examples.

Source: master technician for over a decade
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Pokey wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:50 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:46 am
Have you tried nail polish? I just purchased a new bow and the bow tech encouraged me to use a small dab of nail polish to prevent screws from working loose due to vibrations from the bow. I’ve not tried it yet, but he says the screws with nail polish will not loosen by themselves and are easier to break free compared to even blue Loc-Tite. (I love blue Loc-Tite, so I was surprised to hear that). Dunno, but it might be worth a try.
RTV will work also, but nail polish is cheaper. Edit: I'm assuming nail polish is cheaper, I've never bought any. :D
Ha! I’ve purchased nail polish and nail polish remover... Not for me, but for protecting knife parts while acid-washing. Opi is my favorite nail polish, but I’m not too picky. ;) :p

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:38 pm
This is what I have... Bought it years ago for shotgun choke tubes. It's banana scented for some reason... Image
And of course when I tried to open it my thumb slipped and got grease on it 👍🏻FUN.
Thompson Center also makes some stuff called “Bore Butter” for muzzleloaders. It works great for weather-proofing all of the metal components without leaving a greasy residue, which is critical for muzzleloaders. The stuff smells like anise and is food-grade biodegradable... and yes, I’ve tasted it a time or two when I was super hungry. :o
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:46 am
Have you tried nail polish? I just purchased a new bow and the bow tech encouraged me to use a small dab of nail polish to prevent screws from working loose due to vibrations from the bow. I’ve not tried it yet, but he says the screws with nail polish will not loosen by themselves and are easier to break free compared to even blue Loc-Tite. (I love blue Loc-Tite, so I was surprised to hear that). Dunno, but it might be worth a try.
Nail polish on the threads?

I use nail polish frequently as a witness mark to see if the threads are loosening, but I've never put it on the actual threads themselves.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My understanding is that copper antiseize is basically a high pressure, high temperature grease. I've always heard that Glock use it to lubricate their slides, so this seems like a terrible idea for screws. Plus the stuff is like glitter, once it's in an environment it's there for eternity, you'd never get all of it out of the pivot threads.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:44 am
Would adding anti-seize to knife clip screws "work"? As in, preventing the screws from seizing but also allowing the screws to stay secured in the barrel threads and not get loose over time?
Yes, and yes.

To address the second part of your question first, it will prevent loosening. The anti-seize will allow you to more accurately tighten the fastener in the first place, and properly tightened fasteners are less prone to loosening. I'm not a big fan of the casual use of thread lockers. I use them a lot, but only when there's a good reason to do so. It's probably best for a manufacturer to use thread lockers because the typical end user is just going to carry a knife until all the screws fall out and the blade falls out and pokes a hole in his toe. For users like you and me, that just isn't going to happen.

As for preventing seizing, it will do that, as well. The primary reason to choose anti-seize is to prevent galling, the transfer of material between the thread surfaces. It's like microscopic welding caused by friction. Aluminum, titanium, and stainless are susceptible to galling. It's a good thing these materials are not used in knives, right? Right? The anti-seize also protects against corrosion. But... keep in mind that thread lockers also protect to some degree against corrosion and galling.

So there's no perfect solution as to what's best for every knife. For me, I think that excess use of thread locker can contribute to fastener deformation. How often on the Spydie Forum do you hear about users who have trouble removing, and eventually damage their fasteners? How often to you hear of users complaining because their screws fell out?

I use anti-seize on a lot of my projects. I think it displays a higher degree of craftsmanship and aids in long term serviceability. If you're only going to buy one jar of anti-seize, get the nickel. It has more applications. You can use it on the screws on your knife, the spark plugs on your top-fuel dragster, and the control rod bolts on your nuclear reactor.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Teflon tape would work 🤔

Never tried it on knife screws, I’m just thinking out loud
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I would think wrapping something as small as a knife screw would be quite difficult, but I have wondered if it would work.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Teflon tape is not the appropriate product for application on machine screw threads.
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:11 pm
Teflon tape is not the appropriate product for application on machine screw threads.
Yup
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I agree... I put blue loctite on all my knives...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I've been trying Teflon tape on my pivots, and it works very well. It may not be the best choice, but if you want to be able to adjust your pivot and not have to reapply threadlocker every time it works just fine.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Good to know! it may not be the “appropriate” application but I figured it’d work as such!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:39 pm
Teflon tape would work 🤔

Never tried it on knife screws, I’m just thinking out loud
I thought about that>> but as small as those screws are that hold Spyderco handle scales together I seriously doubt if you could even use Teflon tape on an application that small. Now like I was saying earlier I do believe that a teflon based, dry lube would be helpful and might even remedy the problem. But I haven't tried it yet so I'll put that one on the back burner.

I do believe that with some type of dry lube application you could torque down screws with significant force and not risk having them to be impossible to remove>> but that's just my own gut feeling>> haven't tried it yet but I do think it might be a solution.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I use these pretty regular.

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Just want parrot what others said about anti-sieze, it spreads worse than covid! :p

I personally hate it, but use it because it works so well. It also helps when ham-fisted blokes over tighten bolts and nuts. I've only used blue loctite on knives tho.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049