Anyone here with a recent pacemaker?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Anyone here with a recent pacemaker?

Post by Doc Dan »

Has anyone here had a pacemaker put in within the last 5 years or so, or their spouse having had one put in?

My doc wants me to wear some sort of contraption for a couple of days to see if I need one. I'll admit to a bit of trepidation about the possibility.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TazKristi

Re: Anyone here with a recent pacemaker?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Doc Dan:
I can't help with information, but I'd like to wish you well regardless of the path in front of you. Hang in there! You'll be in our thoughts.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I will echo what Tazkristi just said to you>> also do keep in mind that they have made huge strides in the Cardiology Sector. I have a second cousin who is a Cardiologist and he told me some time back that there is more hope for heart patients than there has ever been in the past.

I'm kind of "mind-blown" that you are having ticker problems after reading your posts for the past 3 years or so. You kind of strike me as a guy who is very mindful of your health. No matter how it pans out I'm sure you'll make the right decision. But don't do anything major without a second opinion ;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

No, but I had heart attack symptoms a few years ago, ambulance to a&e (ER), ecg’s, angiogram, the works. Seeing the inside of your own heart on a live TV monitor is something else....

What it left me with (other than relief) was complete faith and trust in the cardiology profession.

Best wishes, Doc.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Having to deal with stage 4 cancer for the last couple of years I can say that if you have a good cardiologist who has your best interests in mind, go with what she says.

I’ve fired a couple of oncologists along the way. Probably be dead now if I hadn’t.

Best of fortune and fortitude to you.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:04 am
Has anyone here had a pacemaker put in within the last 5 years or so, or their spouse having had one put in?

My doc wants me to wear some sort of contraption for a couple of days to see if I need one. I'll admit to a bit of trepidation about the possibility.
IF they even "think" that you need one, you are going to probably need one in the future. IF they think you need it NOW then do not goof around. Get it.

I've been run through a wringer but I try to set my mind at ease!

It all started with being denied entry in to the US Marine Corps in 86 over a heart murmur. That was monitored, and the tests became more diagnostic. I was on heart failure medication, but the DRs that I was seeing were very nonchalant about the whole process....they did not run a whole lot of tests, they were garbage, but until you have excellent DRs, you just do not know any better.

I had a mild heart attack, followed by open heart surgery wherein they replaced my aortic heart valve and did a 3-way bypass. These new DRs at Loyola Medicine in Maywood, IL, ran every test. Loyola is the #2 heart hospital in Illinois. Heart MRI found out that I had cardiomyopathy...yes, in a sense, I do have heart failure. They also gave me a device to wear at home for a day or two. And I am on a list for a pacemaker with a defibrillator in the future, but not just yet. They meet with me 2x a year to discuss my current condition, and run more tests if necessary.

If they put you down for a pacemaker, ask if you need the pacemaker with a defibrillator. It makes little sense to give you one without the other.

I am a candidate for sudden cardiac arrest. Welcome to my world.

If you have unlimited income, make an appointment with the Cleaveland Clinic, the #1 heart hospital in the USA. Absolutely the best in the world.

I keep my mind busy by reading news, and collecting knives. I need to exercise more, and as it is get exercise by walking our dog. If I thought about this all day...that would not be good. Keep busy.

TlDr;
Pacemaker = Good

Pacemaker with a defibrillator = Better

Death = Bad
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Doc...It's a piece of cake. Wear the Halder monitor for a few day and it will help them diagnose exactly what needs done and the best way to do it.

I have a pacemaker with defibrillator and it's pretty darned handy when my ticker gets wonky. I have a non-standard heart issue due to nerve damage in my medulla and some damage to my brain from explosive concussion. Causes my heart to go from the Marine's Hymn to Ozzy's Crazy Train very suddenly. The PM W/ Defib WILL save your life and I'm walking proof of it.

Do what they want and get yourself straightened out. You won't regret it.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My girlfriend's sister-in-law had one installed last year (sudden, life-threatening problems) on a more or less emergency basis. Now the doctors have decided she needs a 4 lead instead of the 2 lead they put in, so she has to go back in for an upgrade. If the monitor will let you avoid that, wear that sucker.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:06 am
Hi, Doc Dan:
I can't help with information, but I'd like to wish you well regardless of the path in front of you. Hang in there! You'll be in our thoughts.

Kristi
Thank you. That’s so sweet.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The doc said they no longer have to oblate the top of the heart. Doing that means the pacemaker has to be in place or get a new heart. I am happy it does not need doing. My medical knowledge on such things is 40 years old. Doc told me I’m now in the 21st Century. :D I developed afib a few years ago but that motorcycle accident last year made it worse. It’s kind of scary having people do things to your heart but worse when the heart is out of control.

The Afib is lone afib and has no known cause. About to do another sleep test. Prior tests showed nothing but not sleeping.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Prayers Doc! My brother-in-law survived a widow maker two years ago as he stopped for a red light. With foot on the brake he slumped over and my sister had the presence of mind to put the car in park. Until that point he had no previous health issues and was rarely sick, worked as a respiratory therapist at 2 different hospitals and loved every second of it. Now with a pacemaker he's doing pretty good, although the trauma from the heart attack and loss of blood to his brain he's unable to work but he gets to spend more time with the grand kids so he's happy.

The story could have been so much worse and he's very thankful that he got more time.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks Larry. The found a block in my widow maker of about 70% back in 2014. Everyone was praying and when we went in to do the stint, the block was gone. The doctors could not believe that Jesus healed me. It is all on film, too.

I am glad your BIL is doing fine.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RocketJ

Post by RocketJ »

Doc Dan....first let me apologize for not seeing this and responding sooner. I’m on my second pacemaker. The first, in 2011, resulted from a condition called bradycardia. Simply put, an abnormally slow hearbeat caused by a nerve blockage in the heart. No heart attack or damage, bet constantly tired and worn out. The two lead pacemaker they put in did the trick. Then in 2016, my cardiologist noticed some anomalies, and after a couple of echocardiograms and a heart cath it was determined that the bottom chambers of my heart were beating out of sync. Again, likely caused by the nerve blocks. The second is a 3 lead device....one in each top chamber and one in the left bottom. Since then, I have had zero problems or abnormalities, and at 66 I do whatever I did before.....just not quite at the pace I used to! Neither of my devices have had defibrillators. I rarely ever think about having it unless I bump into something in my left chest area, as it is just under the skin. I can relate to how you are feeling, Doc, but don’t fear it and dont assume life as you know it will be radically changed. If it is determined that you need it, do it and continue living your life. If you have questions or would like to talk about it, we can make that happen.....just say the word. Good luck and hang in there!
John
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I got some great news! The holter showed I do not need a pacemaker at this time. My afib has not advanced to that point. Medication remains the same for now.

I appreciate all of you. Thanks.

Since that hit and run motorcycle accident last year a lot of things are worse than before. Still, I’m alive and kicking. No more camping or motorcycles though.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Great news, Doc! Congratulations!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Great news, Doc! Congratulations!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m certainly happy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:55 am
I’m certainly happy.
This is great news, however, do not lose sight of the bigger picture.

The fact that they are considering you for a pacemaker....you need to try and follow wise guidelines to extend your life.

I take a one a day Centrum, statins, metropolol and an 80mg aspirin. Check with those DRs what you need to be doing to extend your life. Be aggressive and get another appointment if you need it to clarify what you might do! Take action, while the skillet is hot.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Congratulations Sir
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:28 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:55 am
I’m certainly happy.
This is great news, however, do not lose sight of the bigger picture.

The fact that they are considering you for a pacemaker....you need to try and follow wise guidelines to extend your life.

I take a one a day Centrum, statins, metropolol and an 80mg aspirin. Check with those DRs what you need to be doing to extend your life. Be aggressive and get another appointment if you need it to clarify what you might do! Take action, while the skillet is hot.
Statins are bad for most people’s health. They cause serious deterioration and in most cases are not significantly more effective than oats. Diet does not cause high cholesterol. A good healthy diet is essential to good heart health. My afib is ‘unknown ‘ or lone afib. It has no known mechanism or cause. There are no underlying problems. It just happens. I take daily aspirin, beta blocker ( as needed), and daily rythym drug. I eat pretty good and exercise 3-4days a week.

I’m of the opinion that if I could lose weigh a lot of issues would clear up. I was always very muscular (still am to some degree) but my chest has sunk into my drawers. In my prime I weighed around 225 or 230 lbs Of muscle. with no or little fat. It is hard now to lose weight at my age, even with diets and exercise.

The doc says my heart is very, very strong, even for a younger person. But the afib episodes area real problem.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050