Native Chief LW FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you like to see one?

Yes
66%
No
22%
Maybe
13%

Total votes: 32

Pancake

Native Chief LW FRN

Post by Pancake »

Title says it all.
FRN construction similar to Native 5 LW, with normal spoon clip ( not the hideous one from Native), pack it with some good steel (BD1N maybe, or even SPY, but good old boring S30V is fine) and I think you have a winner knife. In my eyes, humpless alternative to Endura 4.
Yes, Chief is already linerless, so you don't save a ton of weight, but some ppl prefer FRN.

I think this model could be possible, given that we have 2 sprint runs, so the sales should be ok.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Re: Native Chief LW FRN

Post by Wartstein »

YES 100%! :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Yes, but give it the less aggressive texturing from the Chap and Sage 5 LW.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... and please also in SE!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:09 am
... and please also in SE!!
Let's take this all the way to the logical conclusion: Add corrosion resistant hardware, make that SE blade FFG LC200N, and just do a Native Chief Salt :)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm surprised some seem to be against the idea of a frn chief being made. I wonder what their reasoning is.

I don't think the OP was suggesting it replace the g10 version. And the poll doesn't ask if you'd BUY an frn version, just if you'd like too see one. Do they just not want Spyderco to offer knives in frn?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I can see a Native Chief Salt. FFG LC200n in SE and PE with the typical yellow salt scales. But as you mentioned, the g10 version is already linerless... So what about coarse texture g10 then? Seems an easier route for the factory than new FRN molds... Unless they are already a part of the plan a la the lil native lightweight :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Yes, but... I hope they put some effort into designing contoured, rounded scales with shallow texturing.

I really dislike the flat slabbed, "bi-directional" texturing on the FRN Native 5. I don't need or want deep cleats. There is no good reason for injection molded scales to be flat or have sharp edges. Perhaps Spyderco could use the fluted (carbon or titanium) Native 5 scales as the basis for the injection mold for the Native Chief and Lil' Native.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I'm more interested in trying SPY-27. While I would love to see it in the P4LW, but there's no guarantee that'll happen. The Native Chief sounds like the next best thing. So if the LW version comes with SPY-27, sign me up.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Yes
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

A Salt Chief would be pretty fantastic, as would a blue Spy27 model.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yes, i'd be much more interested in the Chief as an FRN model. I prefer the FRN models for the most part and probably 3/4 of my knives are FRN. Chief LW Salt or DLT's Cru-ple combo in a Chief LW would get my money.

I have no real desire to pick up a G10 Chief at the moment unless St. Nicks or DLT do an exclusive. The Endura gives me everything I need in that sized blade, but in my preferred handle material, the Seki FRN. The only downside to the Endura really is the lack of my preferred steel, Cruwear. I am very eager to try K390 though.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:00 am

I don't think the OP was suggesting it replace the g10 version.
Heck no! Native 5 and Native 5 LW happily coexist together, then why not these 2.

Native Chief FRN could fit a empty space of Golden made FRN knives. Largest that I can think of is Manix 2 LW, and the Chief is longer then that.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45