Need help!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JustinB

Need help!

Post by JustinB »

I am finally getting myself a Pac Salt after hearing so many glowing reviews here on the forum, but I cannot decide between getting the OG with the Endura 3 handle, or the recently updated Pac Salt 2 with the newer Endura 4 handle. I have multiple Endura 4s, and find the handle comfortable, but I have heard many talk about. how much more comfortable they found the Endura 3 handle.

So, I need your help deciding which should I pick up, OG Pac Salt with Endura 3 handles, or Pac Salt 2 with Endura 4 handles :confused:
Justin :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Re: Need help!

Post by Sumdumguy »

Best advice would be to find a store that has an E4 in stock and see if it works for you.

I will recommend the original one, as the E4 handle has ridges that line up with the middle of my fingers and that makes me unhappy. The E3 handle works like a charm, for me.

Others swear by the E4 handle. Different strokes.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’d say get the original if you still can. You can always get a pac salt 2 later...

More importantly, you’re getting a SE blade right?!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:37 am
I’d say get the original if you still can. You can always get a pac salt 2 later...

More importantly, you’re getting a SE blade right?!
That's true, the 2 will be around for a while. Of course its gonna be SE! :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Not sure how much help we actually can offer you, since this is totally personal preference and you´d have to try for yourself...

I personally clearly prefer the E4 handle.
- More comfortable (especially in "my" kind of grip: Thumb not on the ramp, but to the side of the blade, more in a hammer grip) and more versatile for me.
- I also prefer the newer bidirectional texturing over the volcano pattern of the E3.
- And the slimmer, more rounded butt end of the handle makes it easier to slide the hand by when the knife is in pocket (in tip up carry of yourse)

The older E3 handle is a tad shorter and the knife carries a bit deeper than it is with the newer E4, if that is something that matters to you.

Perhaps something to consider is also the attachment of the clip: The typical 3 screws on the E4, while the E 3 clip has just a slot and could be removed or tightened by using just a coin

People who don´t like the newer E4 handle often seem to bothered by the "point" behind the first finger groove.
A recent thread showed though, how easily that could be sanded down (again, for me personally no need at all to do so)

So: I personally would take the Pac Salt 2, but you can´t go wrong with the "1" either...

Comparison pic E4 vs E3 handle (keep in mind: The Pac Salt 2 has a bigger opening hole than my Endura 4 in the pic. So the ramp will be steeper, just like on the Pac Salt 1 in the pic)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Best advice would be to find a store that has an E4 in stock and see if it works for you.

OP already has multiple E4s (he said that in his first post), so if he knows it works for him (for you, Justin B) I´d certainly go Pac Salt 2...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:46 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

OP already has multiple E4s (he said that in his first post), so if he knows it works for him (for you, Justin B) I´d certainly go Pac Salt 2...
Wow, don't know how I missed that one! :confused:

Glad it wasn't a snake, haha. :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:43 am
Not sure how much help we actually can offer you, since this is totally personal preference and you´d have to try for yourself...

I personally clearly prefer the E4 handle.
- More comfortable (especially in "my" kind of grip: Thumb not on the ramp, but to the side of the blade, more in a hammer grip) and more versatile for me.
- I also prefer the newer bidirectional texturing over the volcano pattern of the E3.
- And the slimmer, more rounded butt end of the handle makes it easier to slide the hand by when the knife is in pocket (in tip up carry of yourse)

The older E3 handle is a tad shorter and the knife carries a bit deeper than it is with the newer E4, if that is something that matters to you.

Perhaps something to consider is also the attachment of the clip: The typical 3 screws on the E4, while the E 3 clip has just a slot and could be removed or tightened by using just a coin

People who don´t like the newer E4 handle often seem to bothered by the "point" behind the first finger groove.
A recent thread showed though, how easily that could be sanded down (again, for me personally no need at all to do so)

So: I personally would take the Pac Salt 2, but you can´t go wrong with the "1" either...

Comparison pic E4 vs E3 handle (keep in mind: The Pac Salt 2 has a bigger opening hole than my Endura 4 in the pic. So the ramp will be steeper, just like on the Pac Salt 1 in the pic)

Thanks Wart. I am fan of the E4 handle, and have never found it uncomfortable either.

I remember when the OG Pac salt was discontinued last year that many lamented the change over from the E3 handle, so I was just curious of the differences between them and wanter to hear some peoples opinions. I ended up deciding to pick up the 1 while it is still in stock, and will end up getting a 2 at some point later as it is in current production.

Maybe then I can do an apples to apples comparison between them :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JustinB wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thanks Wart. I am fan of the E4 handle, and have never found it uncomfortable either.

I remember when the OG Pac salt was discontinued last year that many lamented the change over from the E3 handle, so I was just curious of the differences between them and wanter to hear some peoples opinions. I ended up deciding to pick up the 1 while it is still in stock, and will end up getting a 2 at some point later as it is in current production.

:)

Well, I guess Vivi already did this for you... ;)

viewtopic.php?t=87226
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:57 am
JustinB wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=87226
Aah, I must've missed that!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JustinB wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:57 am
JustinB wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=87226
Aah, I must've missed that!
It's really more than worth reading if you're interested in the differences between "1" and "2".
There is even a vid on this topic linked in the first post of the thread.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i kind of prefer the texture on the original because it has less bite and i carry it iwb. it's a minor difference, but the native salt is definitely more noticeable in that position. of course, it's also a little thicker and squared off around the dredges, so that's part of it too.
it's a minor factor to consider, but it's a factor. if you plan on carrying it that way, especially when swimming, try it with an endura and see if it bothers you. if not, you're golden. or i guess seki in this case. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I personally prefer the Pacific Salt 2 handle because it’s slightly thicker and the bi-directional texture is better with wet hands than the old volcano grip. Also, the PS2 has a four-way clip that takes normal screws, so it’s easy for me to install an after-market deep-pocket carry clip. I never liked the PS1’s barrel bolt clip very much since I carry torx wrenches in my wallet, but seldom have a pair of coins on me. I also use blue Loctite on my clip screws so that they won’t back out on me.

The one thing that the Pacific Salt 1 has going for it is the fact that the inside of the scales are completely flat. The Pacific Salt 2 has skeletonized scales to reduce weight, but they can collect gunk in them if you aren’t careful to rinse them out. It’s not a huge problem, but could be annoying if you’re using the knife for dirty jobs and not in a position where you can clean the handle.

As others have said, go with the Spyderedge. Plain edge H1 pales in comparison to serrated H1.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have an Endura4. When I heard the original Pac Salt was being disco’d, I bought a second original... The E4 handle is just fine, as is the E3, but the original Pac Salt as a whole is iconic, which was a factor in my choice.

EDIT: Added a thought.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:54 am
I have an Endura4. When I heard the original Pac Salt was being disco’d, I bought a second original... The E4 handle is just fine, as is the E3, but original Pac Salt as a whole is iconic.
When you said that the Pac Salt had been disco'd, I feared the worst... ;)
Disco'd Salt.jpg
--Socrates
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Takuan wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:03 am
wrdwrght wrote:
I have an Endura4. When I heard the original Pac Salt was being disco’d, I bought a second original... The E4 handle is just fine, as is the E3, but original Pac Salt as a whole is iconic.

Disco'd Salt.jpg
lol :D
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JustinB wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:06 am
Takuan wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:03 am
wrdwrght wrote:

Disco'd Salt.jpg
lol :D
Ditto.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I had a funny conversation with Bob Geldof (who spoke at my college a few years back) about the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. He said that he hated disco, but couldn't get the accursed songs out of his head, so he had to try to sneak into the record store to buy a copy, hoping that nobody would recognize him. :)
--Socrates