What knives in your collection keep wow-ing you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

What knives in your collection keep wow-ing you?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I was checking the edge on my waterway since I had just been hiking with it, and I realized something. I really like that knife, like, I REALLY like that knife. I mean just every angle had been carefully considered, and she cuts so well, and the steel, and the handles, and the sheath and the positioning of the lanyard, and just OOH.

I could go on and on. But the point it that knife really just wows me. I'm the same way with my Watu, could talk about that thing for hours. Oddly I'm not that way with my spydiechef, even though it's my most used daily driver and definitely my favorite of the collection. maybe age just does that.

In any case, what knives in your collection keep wow-ing you time and time again?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Cambertree

Re: What knives in your collection keep wow-ing you?

Post by Cambertree »

Pacific Salt SE
K390 Urban and Police 4.
ZDP189 Dragonfly
SE Salt Dragonfly
Gayle Bradley 1.
JMM

Post by JMM »

This year has been a whole new world for me moving outside of a PE-only world, into an SE world, along with really trying out some new blade shapes like the Hawkbill & Wharnie -- I've learned so much, and have so much more to learn -- it's been an absolute blast for me to (re)learn how to cut things in different ways with different tools than I ever have before, it may sound silly but it actually makes me smile and chuckle to myself how easier/faster/cleaner I could have been doing so many things for so many years! (I also just got my first auto) :) :D

SE Police3 G10
SE Dodo
SE DLC Shaman
SE Tasman Salt2
SE Lil' Matriarch & PE Lil' Matriarch
SE Wharnie Delica & PE Wharnie Delica
PE Autonomy2

Red

Post by Red »

Great thread, very cool! Here are mine below.

-Salt Dragonfly SE, just a little workhorse.
-Autonomy, 100 reliable and alot of fun!!
-Resilience, still cant believe it was $50 :D
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Funny as I was only moving my Pakkawood Delica the other day and I paused to wow a bit longer than I normally would for a knife.

Gayle Bradley 1 and my CR Mnandi wow me every time I carry them.

Spyderco Junction is still in Honeymoon period for weekend 4x4ing and day hiking duties. Hardly ever carry folders for this anymore
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Caribbean, pretty much every time I use it and I'm amazed at how aggressive it cuts.

Shaman Cruwear/Micarta, because it's just such a beautiful knife and one of the only knives that I genuinely feel fortunate to have.

Spyderhawk, lately I've been using it a lot to harvest peppers and the utility of a SE hawkbill for that sort of work is really amazing, it's like the knife was designed specifically for that task.

Autonomy 1, every time I fire it open and feel how it melts into my grip I'm surprised because 99-100 times finger grooves never fit my hand but the Autonomy fits me like it was molded off my finger size. The lock/auto action is awesome.

Dragonfly Salt SE, because it's actually laughable sometimes how strong that little knife performs for it's size. For me it's about the smallest a knife can get while still remaining to be a fully usable EDC knife and not just a keychain trinket that can open your mail. The hawkbill version is equally amazing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Every time I go back to carrying a PM2 I question why I have other knives.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Police 4. G-10 and K390. Such a great knife in every way.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:30 am
This, and my Proficient continue to amaze me!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I haven’t really opened the safe in months. Just carrying my S110V and Cruwear Militaries. Not sure why I own any other folders. Those two are all I want or need at this point. Probably won’t change it up until I get a Rex Chief.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well at the risk of being redundant my first pick in that category would be my C-60 Ayoob models. There is just something about that particular design that breaks all the barriers of conventional knife design.

I could also add the "Dodo" model to that list as well. Because when I bought my first Dodo model back in 2003 I mainly thought it would be a novelty, collector piece>> I had not taken that knife seriously until I actually EDCed it for about a week and I was blown away at how versatile that short bladed, super design is. So those are two that immediately come to mind.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The knife that continues to wow me is the Police 4 G10. It's beautiful and graceful, yet strong, and fits my hand as if it had been made for me alone. The beautiful, classic look of the contrasting black G10 and polished steel, gives me the warm and fuzzies every time.

The other knife is a Para 3 Rex 45 two-tone. This one was meant to be mine. I was in the market for a Para 3 Rex 45 knife, when this version was announced. My 2 favorite colors are green and orange. Imagine my surprise (and excitement) when I found out the show side would be that beautiful shade of orange Cutlery Shoppe uses, along with an OD green scale on the clip side. I knew it was for me. It's been slowly working up to P4 levels of admiration, but still has a lot of catching up to do.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Albatross wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:03 am
The knife that continues to wow me is the Police 4 G10. It's beautiful and graceful, yet strong, and fits my hand as if it had been made for me alone. The beautiful, classic look of the contrasting black G10 and polished steel, gives me the warm and fuzzies every time.

The other knife is a Para 3 Rex 45 two-tone. This one was meant to be mine. I was in the market for a Para 3 Rex 45 knife, when this version was announced. My 2 favorite colors are green and orange. Imagine my surprise (and excitement) when I found out the show side would be that beautiful shade of orange Cutlery Shoppe uses, along with an OD green scale on the clip side. I knew it was for me. It's been slowly working up to P4 levels of admiration, but still has a lot of catching up to do.
I haven't owned or used a POLICE model in quite some time. I've had several and the older Carbon Fiber units I really regret trading away. But I've got to get one of these POLICE 4 models because I've heard nothing but high praises about this newer edition of the POLICE model.

I also kind of wish they would bring back a super version of the ROOKIE model. Which was a smaller version of the classic POLICE model.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Any of my total of 8 Manix's or Shaman's. There's a reason I have this many...their incredible knives! Particularly the Crucarta Shaman and Rex45 Manix, as each time I carry them it's a reminder of how great this place is and the friendships I've formed here! :)

The HH UKPK. It came out, I thought it was a great looking knife...but at that point I didn't want multiple knives with the same colored scales in my collection. Held off for a week or so and then finally succumbed after seeing lots of pics and posts about it. I dont use it at work often, so it's a weekend knife for me and I look forward to putting it in my pocket every time I choose to do so. Incredibly comfortable in hand, very light, beautiful with a thin blade and lazer sharp edge.

Also the Matriarch 2 that my wife totally surprised me with for Christmas last year. Not the most practical knife, but the blade is so wicked and unique! It's the one knife I really use a little more thought than usual when opening and closing. It's a bad momma!!
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve been pleased as pie with my CRUWEAR Military. I love the knife; such a versatile handle. You can choke up, or hold further back. I often hold forward and pinch the blade and the handle doesn’t get in the way at all.

I love the steel. It really seems like an excellent balance/compromise. I have other steels with push the envelope in corrosion resistance or wear resistance, but this one doesn’t rust in daily use, doesn’t chip, is easy to sharpen. It doesn’t keep that edge as long as M4 or REX45, but I can easily sharpen it on ceramics.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

abbazaba wrote:
Yeah, it covers such a wide range of use cases so well. It’s my smooth G10 Cru-Wear PM2 that really gives me the ‘wow,’ though.

If Spyderco ever makes a comp-lock Military, I’ll probably like that even better, but a knife that size is always going to freak some people out, while the PM2 is a bit less alarming.
GaryArt1

Post by GaryArt1 »

The knife I seem to keep coming back to is the Vrango. It is small enough to pocket carry in almost anything from shorts to slacks. It feels good in the hand. It always catches peoples eye with unique styling. I have grown to really love the blade for multiple tasks. And I love any knife in blue.
Current Spydercos in EDC rotation: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Dragonfly 2 Toku2, Vrango, Matrix 2 G10 Black, Native 5 Fluted Carbon, Canis, Native 5 Salt, Enuff Sheepfoot, Lil' Temperance 3, Proficient, Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Zwear micarta, Shaman Black/Black Spyderedge, DLT tan Yojimbo 2
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2 Maxamet. I still have trouble believing the edge retention on this steel.

For fit and finish, the g-10 Manii that I own are very impressive as well. I feel like I"m getting the fit and finish of a $250 knife from other manufacturers, but at half the price.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

abbazaba wrote:
I really need to get one in my collection. I’ve made the rounds as far as spyderco classics go, but I’ve never held a para.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

For the last few months I have been almost exclusively carrying the SpydieChef as my PE knife. Sometimes I rotate in the occasional fancy dressed up blade, but this Slysz design has been wowing me each and every day. This is my first knife with LC200N as well and the edge retention, corrosion resistance and sharpening responsiveness all make this knife a joy to use.

Looking back through my social media, I posted this share of the prototype in January of 2013. It took me years to finally get one and it hasn't disappointed me yet.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*