First Glimpse at my Swayback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nemo3000

First Glimpse at my Swayback

Post by Nemo3000 »

Hello there,

here is my little review:
https://nemoknivesreview.com/2020/08/14 ... and-child/

Since my writing I have been able to use it for lunch in the kitchen. It is just amazing how thin the edge is.
I have found an easy way to open it: in reverse grip with my ring finger. It fires everytime.
Because non of my other fingers touch the lock bar !!!

You will find also what new clip I have mounted to remove the Polished Stainless Steel on that Polish folder.
Also the Sebenza shown on the pictures is a 1997 version in ATS34 with a long story.

I hope you will enjoy it.

Cheers Nemo

Dazen

Re: First Glimpse at my Swayback

Post by Dazen »

Nice review and pics. I am one of the few that actually likes this clip on the Swayback. I’m surprised no one has stone washed the clip to match the finish on the blade yet. In the end I really wanted this knife to be smaller so it could ride clip less in the bottom of my pocket.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Thank you ! :-)

The only thing which I wanted is a titanium clip because of the titanium handle and I got some spare to try on it.
Now my main issue is the opening and I have found a way: the ringfinger opening:

carrot

Post by carrot »

Nemo, your photos and reviews have sold me many a blade.

I saw your review this morning and put the Swayback back on my wishlist despite giving it a whirl at SFO and taking it off.

I thought it a little too tricky to open, much like the Sebenza. But I also carry a Sebenza often.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Thank you Carrot :-)
I have updated the review with many new photos including my bottle butt test.

The Swayback is a little tricky to open but since I bave decided to open it à la Michael Janich (with the ring finger)
it is tricky no more. Also opening is slowly coming a 100% fire ration. I need really to hold the knife high on the pivot.
Two hands opening is very easy NOT using the hole but the rounded spine. It's easy to catch.

About the sharpness, having used the Shaman REX45, the Native Salt and the SIren and the Para3 Maxamet...
The Swayback out of the box is very close to the Nilakka's edge or better my Urban EAB-L !!
It is a true razor after ten leather strops.
A real razor: the caresse on the skin is smooth and the hairs are just flying. No skin's cells on the edge. The skin is not scrapped.
Oh it is a straight edge with some hunger !! So far it is really fun to use.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice review. I enjoy your reviews, Nemo.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nice review as usual Nemo

Mine's been kind of strange as far as opening. It'll work fine holding it as I would any other frame lock and rolling the blade out with my thumb. Then every once in awhile I can't open it that way. I can still open it just fine by holding it the same way and using the tip of my thumb in the hole to pull the blade out. I'm sure it has something to do with the pressure I need to apply to the blade when I try to use the pad of my thumb but I'm not changing how I hold it or the pressure my fingers put on the lock bar. After I pull it open a few times with the tip of my thumb it starts working again with the pad of my thumb.

I love the knife regardless of the odd ergos and the clip is a non-issue for me. It seems to be getting more smooth too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Excellent review and the pictures are helpful. What brand of clip did you finally choose? I like the look.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Thank you guys for the very nice words ! :-)

The clip chosen is a Blade4sell clip I have bought on Ebay. :-)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:28 am
Nice review and pics. I am one of the few that actually likes this clip on the Swayback. I’m surprised no one has stone washed the clip to match the finish on the blade yet. In the end I really wanted this knife to be smaller so it could ride clip less in the bottom of my pocket.

In the "Swayback Lookout Thread," Liquid Cobra posted that he did some kind of acid stonewash on the clip and hardware.

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:08 pm
For folks out there still looking for a swayback don’t give up. It’s well worth the effort.

I modded mine today and removed the shiny hardware.

Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Nice acid work !!

The Swayback is one of the most sharp Spyderco's factory edge I have ever got. I even don't remember my Nilakka being that sharp.
Yesterday I was cutting deep in the board of that Pizza. ;-)

dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Man, this Swayback thing did not go the way I was hoping.The size and the stamped steel clip say Working Knife, but those lines are all about a gent’s folder.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:19 am
Man, this Swayback thing did not go the way I was hoping.The size and the stamped steel clip say Working Knife, but those lines are all about a gent’s folder.
This is precisely the huge charm of the Swayback design: an iron hand in a velvet glove.
It is a wolf dressed as a sheep. The kind of knife our old timers would have love.

And this is again another link with Chris Reeve who is a true gentleman, making working knives. (Sebenza means "work" in Zulu).

Patrick Macnee, who played John Steed in the British spy show the Avengers has died at the age of 93, the 25th June 2015. He was the epitome of the gentleman secret agent, able to handle the bad guys but always with style and panache.
And this was his car in the New Avengers:

This is a Jaguar XJ12C by Broadspeed, 560 HP... Electric windows and Dark-brown burr walnut trim elements... Sal loves English speed cars, hence the name Spyder- Co. :-)

More here:
http://fabwheelsdigest.blogspot.com/201 ... 76-77.html
pdixon

Post by pdixon »

Really not a fan of that standard clip on this design, it looks like an afterthought.

I like the knife itself though
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

pdixon wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:32 pm
Really not a fan of that standard clip on this design, it looks like an afterthought.

Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Thanks for the excellent review, Nemo3000.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Takuan wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:26 pm
Thanks for the excellent review, Nemo3000.
Thank you for the nice words !

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks, Nemo. I’ve had the Swayback on and off my list several times. It’s back on now. :)
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
pdixon

Post by pdixon »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:22 pm
pdixon wrote:

That is better, I think if I was buying the knife I’d want something like this below; milled, solid and In keeping with the design...
Attachments
A833706A-FB10-416C-B7F4-21813B14D5F9.jpeg
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

pdixon wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:37 am
Nemo3000 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:22 pm
pdixon wrote:

That is better, I think if I was buying the knife I’d want something like this below; milled, solid and In keeping with the design...
Yes but this is done for Wire Clips remplacement.... Here we go three screws.

Also for opening it easily, I know keep ALWAYS my fingers ON the clip. And the thumb opening is smooth. :-)
Learning everyday ! :-D