Golden Made Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Golden Made Fixed Blade

Post by TomAiello »

I'd be happy with the waterway pattern produced in k390, 4v, or s90v (as a stainless option) for a general purpose outdoors knife.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:26 pm
I'd be happy with the waterway pattern produced in k390, 4v, or s90v (as a stainless option) for a general purpose outdoors knife.
I would too. From the beginning I have wanted a tool steel version of the Waterway. K390 or 4v both sound like winners. I would probably go with the tougher of the two since I use mine often as a camp knife. Maybe canvas micarta handle? :eek: :spyder:

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:13 pm
I was kind of imagining something like this quick sketch:

Scale curvature is up still up in the air.
I like this - a little more sleek that the Proficient. I want something that can compete with the Bark River Bravo/Gunny knives. Same approx size, ergos that work for small and large hands, and useful for general camping/outdoors/hiking carry.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:18 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:26 pm
I would too. From the beginning I have wanted a tool steel version of the Waterway. K390 or 4v both sound like winners. I would probably go with the tougher of the two since I use mine often as a camp knife. Maybe canvas micarta handle? :eek: :spyder:

Yes please! The Waterway with 4v (or 3v, cruwear, k390) and canvas micarta would be awesome. If it came with a lower riding leather sheath, I'd be drooling.
- Julia

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:34 pm
[

Yes please! The Waterway with 4v (or 3v, cruwear, k390) and canvas micarta would be awesome. If it came with a lower riding leather sheath, I'd be drooling.
I like the way you think. If there were ever a tool steel version, I would love a leather sheath. The main reason for a molded sheath on the Waterway is to offer drainage and quick drying for wet and corrosive environments. A “dry land” or “camping” version would be just dandy in leather.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:47 pm
Naperville wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:35 pm
I like the Proficient, and I'm hoping to get one after I get my 2nd copies of both the Spyderco Province and Spyderco Sustain.
Do you have a Zoomer?

That one has always intrigued me, but I've never gotten past the sticker shock and picked one up.
No Zoomer yet!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:52 pm
JuPaul wrote:
[

I like the way you think. If there were ever a tool steel version, I would love a leather sheath. The main reason for a molded sheath on the Waterway is to offer drainage and quick drying for wet and corrosive environments. A “dry land” or “camping” version would be just dandy in leather.
Absolutely - kydex for water. Leather for woods. ;)
- Julia

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I was thinking of of a another way to describe what I’m personally looking for. It’s more or less a fixed blade version of the Shaman with some changes:

-Increase thickness to 4mm
-Increase blade length to 4 inches
-Remove/keep the choil (I like both)
-Increase the palm swell

Call it the “Spyderco 4x4”

While I like the Waterway, I would like the blade to be shorter by about a half an inch, thicker to about 4mm, and wider. I would also like to see smoother thicker scales with more of a palm swell.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
standy99

Post by standy99 »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:30 pm
ergos that work for small and large hands, and useful for general camping/outdoors/hiking carry.
This sounds like the Junction
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:09 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
[

I'd use Kydex for the woods anyway, but it should fit the Waterway sheath, so I can just use that sheath.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:28 am
JuPaul wrote:
ergos that work for small and large hands, and useful for general camping/outdoors/hiking carry.
Yes, except for the flat handle scales. Just not comfortable for me.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:11 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:09 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
[

I'd use Kydex for the woods anyway, but it should fit the Waterway sheath, so I can just use that sheath.
Although I do prefer leather, I'm not opposed to kydex in the woods if it's got a lower ride or at least an adapter to make it that way.

Edit: if spyderco could make the sheath to fit the specs on these, I'd be all good.

http://sagewoodgear.com/belt-loop-sheath-adapter/
- Julia

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:28 am
JuPaul wrote:
I wish they would marry the Junction with the Bowie; Junction size but with the Bowie thickness, scales and swedge. All made in Golden of course.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:33 am

I wish they would marry the Junction with the Bowie; Junction size but with the Bowie thickness, scales and swedge. All made in Golden of course.
Why would you want a knife small as Junction to have 4 mm thick blade?
2.6 on original was something special, but 3 mm is really all you need for this size. My opinion only.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:42 am
Dazen wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:33 am

Why would you want a knife small as Junction to have 4 mm thick blade?
2.6 on original was something special, but 3 mm is really all you need for this size. My opinion only.
I would really like this blade to go out to about 4.5 inches with 4 inches of edge, and ideally between 3.5-4mm thick. I personally love thicker knives in fixed blades, because I tend to be a lot harder on my fixed blades than my folders. I do not want or need something that a kitchen knife can do. People tend to talk about how “slicey” a knife is, I’ve never had a problem really cutting anything with any knife as long as it is sharp. I also am one of the few advocates for overbuilding everything, and don’t mind the extra weight it adds.
Dane

Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Cool, those are fair points.

I, personally, still waiting for ,,that one" fixed blade from Spyderco. I have Waterway which is fantastic, I had Bow River, but I sold it (along with some other fixed blades), but I am waiting that in next Reveal will be something excellent. I have no idea what the fixed blade will be, but when I see it, I'll let you know :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:11 pm
Cool, those are fair points.

I, personally, still waiting for ,,that one" fixed blade from Spyderco. I have Waterway which is fantastic, I had Bow River, but I sold it (along with some other fixed blades), but I am waiting that in next Reveal will be something excellent. I have no idea what the fixed blade will be, but when I see it, I'll let you know :D
Me too, the Proficient is about as close as Spyderco has come for me. I just want something made in Golden and see some awesome sprints/exclusives follow.
Dane

Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Me too, the Proficient is about as close as Spyderco has come for me. I just want something made in Golden and see some awesome sprints/exclusives follow.
Proficient is gorgeous, but outside my price range. Really, something like a Bradley Bowie, with 4.5 inch blade, with max price of 200 € would be dream come true.
I think one day I get what I want from Spyderco, sooner or later :D