What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by prndltech »

Red wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:24 am
5CC42FF6-1FCE-4D5E-8BC9-3FC5F60A3EE4.jpeg

This Dragonfly has a permanent spot in the pocket 7 days a week. Occasionally I will pair it with something larger depending on that days projects, Its just a kick butt little knife.
That’s a serious statement.

Have you tried the hawkbill model or is there a reason you got this one over it?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Back on the bike for the first time in 3 years Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

The Millie was in my pocket like it's been since I got it. :cool:

The Shaman was waiting for me in the mailbox !
I'm surprised by it in a few ways :
- it's heavier than I thought. Nothing bad because I'm not obsessed by my carryweight. Makes it feel more substantial.
- I wasn't expecting smooth G10 for the handles, yet when rubbing my fingers against it it still feels grippy. That's Spydie magic I don't understand :D
- that's a THICC BOI. Seriously. The handle is almost an inch shorter than the C36 but man it fills the hand.
- the blade-to-handle ratio is easier to accept than I thought. I was a little hesitant to buy another PM-sized knife, but this is a different animal.
- the clip has a nice blasted? worn? look to it. Much like my Millie, except it's older. Me likey.
- it came sharper than any other knife I've bought. Razor sharp out of the box. I don't know if it's the steel or something else, but wow.
- only problem I have : the grind is slightly curved on the show side. And of course, it comes mounted for tip-up carry. When will you learn, SF workers ? :p
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Red

Post by Red »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:20 am
Red wrote:

This Dragonfly has a permanent spot in the pocket 7 days a week. Occasionally I will pair it with something larger depending on that days projects, Its just a kick butt little knife.

Have you tried the hawkbill model or is there a reason you got this one over it?
Haven’t tried the Hawkbill but do have a Tasman that I also like alot.

The Dragonfly is a beast at work cutting off crusty old hoses on brass thru-hull fittings and also the plastic hoses (that always melt on) on bilge systems. Its so short I can really put alot on it with no worries and its way stronger than my old razor knife. With a heat gun and the Dragonfly I am getting some flat rate jobs done in half the time! Not to mention its great at the day to day stuff, boxes, those stupid bubble packages everything comes in these days etc.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Red wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:58 am
prndltech wrote:
Red wrote:

The Dragonfly is a beast at work cutting off crusty old hoses on brass thru-hull fittings and also the plastic hoses (that always melt on) on bilge systems. Its so short I can really put alot on it with no worries and its way stronger than my old razor knife. With a heat gun and the Dragonfly I am getting some flat rate jobs done in half the time! Not to mention its great at the day to day stuff, boxes, those stupid bubble packages everything comes in these days etc.
Access in small places... I abused a ladybug hawkbill because of that... never had a serrated dragonfly (besides the hawkbill)... I just ordered one from white mountain knives with a discount code. Thanks for costing me $64 :D

Definitely be good in the shop!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Red

Post by Red »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:21 am
Red wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:58 am
prndltech wrote:
Red wrote:

Access in small places... I abused a ladybug hawkbill because of that... never had a serrated dragonfly (besides the hawkbill)... I just ordered one from white mountain knives with a discount code. Thanks for costing me $64 :D

Definitely be good in the shop!
Ha! You will love it, its great in the shop and pretty much everywhere else. The only thing that would make it better would be if they had a bottle opener on it!! :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:58 pm
Manix in the bouldering gym... :)

Might not have as big of mountains as you, but I can relate to this picture. The one I go to around here even has a bike rack inside :)

:)

The gym I attend is exclusively for bouldering, so no rope climbing at all, and it is very basic: Built in an abandoned shoe factory, a few old couches one can chill out on, you can play your own music and there is just a beverage and beer vending machine.
But the walls themselves are built for real hard training...

I like it that way, gyms that offer also rope climbing tend to be less "cozy" and very loud, and I am not interested in indoor rope climbing anyway. There I prefer pure, hard bouldering with the focus on really getting strong and actually building some muscles.
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Red

Post by Red »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:21 pm
vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Manix in the bouldering gym... :)

Might not have as big of mountains as you, but I can relate to this picture. The one I go to around here even has a bike rack inside :)

The gym I attend is exclusively for bouldering, so no rope climbing at all, and it is very basic: Built in an abandoned shoe factory, a few old chouches one can chill out on, you can play your own music and there is just a beverage and beer vending machine.
But the walls themselves are built for real hard training...

I like it that way, gyms that offer also rope climbing tend to be less "cozy" and very loud, and I am not interested in indoor rope climbing anyway. There I prefer pure, hard bouldering with the focus on really getting strong and actually building up some muscles.
Its a good thing I live over here in the states. That looks too fun, a bouldering facility with a Beer vending machine has “hospital emergency room” written all over it for me!
😂
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Red wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:21 pm
vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Its a good thing I live over here in the states. That looks too fun, a bouldering facility with a Beer vending machine has “hospital emergency room” written all over it for me!
😂
:p
Well, Salzburg, where I live, is very close to Bavaria... the guys there actually seem to live on mostly beer, so we in Salzburg as their neighbours are somewhat used to it too... ;)

One slowly while bouldering and one afterwards at a max is doable, though certainly not elite sports any more and not what I´d do each time when I am there... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Holy !

A BEER VENDING MACHINE?!?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

When I went to Prague about 14 years ago the Subway (sammich shop) was playing metal music and the beverage refrigerator was full of beer. I’ve wanted to go back ever since.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

This one, and it’s little sister.
Attachments
3D3A4181-000C-452C-B5A8-08966CCC0AEC.jpeg
JMM

Post by JMM »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:49 pm
JMM wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:54 pm

What a sexy Police you have there.
Thanks! I couldn't agree more, it's such an awesome amount of SE power in one brilliantly designed knife... I *REALLY* hope to see an SE P4 LW and/or a SE XL-SSS in the months to come... fingers crossed! :D

Cheers,

John
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

-Turbo
JMM

Post by JMM »

Well, it's what was in my pocket today at this point . . . :rolleyes:

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:09 pm
Holy !

Maybe that´s not the correct term in English?!
I mean an automat where you put in some coins and get a bottle of beer in return (or some other beverage)

Or are you puzzled cause you would not expect such a thing in a boulder gym / sport facility?
Or maybe cause in the US generally buying and consuming alcoholic drinks in public is not that easy and more restricted as it is in Europe?

Anyway, that boulder gym (or most boulder gyms in Austria) is not only a training facility - A lot of folks have a friday evening training session there and afterwards hang out for a while and have a beer together (YES, coming from the vending machine! :D )

/ On topic: Endela today...

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The newest member of my Native family.

So it goes.
Red

Post by Red »

Have to go to the big city jungle that is Miami today, have to get off the island occasionally. So big knife for the big city! Also grabbed a PE dragonfly.
B9EA620F-994A-4662-86CE-6097623AAB66.jpeg
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:23 pm
Those serrations look super thin. Was that how yours came from factory?
Justin :spyder:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:43 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:09 pm
Holy !

Maybe that´s not the correct term in English?!
I mean an automat where you put in some coins and get a bottle of beer in return (or some other beverage)

Or are you puzzled cause you would not expect such a thing in a boulder gym / sport facility?
Or maybe cause in the US generally buying and consuming alcoholic drinks in public is not that easy and more restricted as it is in Europe?
As far as I know, beer vending machines don’t exist in the US. Here in the “land of the free” you must be old enough to buy it, must present ID (oddly enough one does not have to present ID to vote in all of the US), and depending on your state, you may not be able to buy on Sundays, or not until after 1pm on Sundays; some places prohibit the sale of alcohol entirely, these Towns and counties are known as “dry”. It’s pretty messed up. America is obsessed with controlling access to things which can’t actually be controlled, and rather than educate our kids about vices (both good and bad), we hide them in a closet and wag our fingers at them. No wonder we are overrun with adult age children! When you don’t give kids responsibility you don’t get responsible adults... :rolleyes:

Basically a beer vending machine deprives someone of their slice of petty control, and we can’t have that.

Back on topic!! I’m still rocking this excellent combo, though after becoming accustomed to the Millie I need to go Pac Salt for the SE companion: