Who of you buys only Spyderco, no other brand knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Who of you buys only Spyderco, no other brand knives?

Post by archangel »

(First I considered the thread to be titled "Who collects Spyderco knives exclusively", but then I remembered that some of you don't want to be considered as collectors. :p ;) )

Apart from my growing collection of spydies, I own one cheap Böker Magnum sprint assisted flipper that is parked in my car (there used to be more Böker knives - all sold), one Cold Steel fixed blade (special design for which :spyder: does not have an equivalent - there used to be more, but they were all sood as well), one no-name China folder resting in the garden's tool shed, for digging in the dirt type of tasks - I just can't bring myself to using any fine Spydie for this :eek: I know, I'm weak that way...), one full size and one mini Victorinox SAK, two full size plier multi tools (LM Surge & SOG Switch Plier) and 5 or maybe 6 small size MTs (two Gerber Dimes and 3 or 4 LM Squirts). So yes, there are other brand's blades in my house. Yet I don't have any motivation to really let these brands grow.

From an "active collecting" perspective, I focus 100% on Spyderco. Believe it or not, it's the truth.

Who of you has the exact same exclusive affection? :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Burton Knut

Re: Who of you buys only Spyderco, no other brand knives?

Post by Burton Knut »

Similar here. I’ve got a few non Spydie folders but haven’t bought a new one in a couple years. All my folder cash goes to Spyderco and it comes down to trust in the quality and execution of their designs. Now fixed blades are another story, they are Spydies and Carothers, though others are on my radar none have been able to take priority away from those two.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

80% Spyderco Knives

Fixed blade knives probably 50% Spyderco
On a fixed knife thing lately and last knife was a LT Wright Camp Muk
Couple of Mules and a Spyderco Junction before that.

Folders probably 95% Spyderco
Nearly all folders are Spyderco except a Chris Reeve Mnandi
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Exclusivly Spyderco for like two years now.
Other brands certainly DO make a good product too,but I am just not interested anymore..

I am in the process of selling my BM Minigrip, this will leave me with owning solely Spydercos when it comes to quality folders.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

For modern, folding or fixed blade knives, I purchase almost exclusively Spyderco. I know other companies provide similar quality and performance, but if the cutlery was all identical, I would still choose the company with integrity over price.

With that said, the BM Meatcuter really caught my eye. It doesn't however offer me anything over the Southfork so I can't justify the money. Also I continue to follow Spyon their endless quest through the ever changing wave of cutlery steels.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spyderco is the only company I trust for production knives/folders.

Other than that, only custom pieces are allowed in my house.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Folders? Only Spyderco.

The Gestalt of having only them is just too precious to ruin with other brands. Even the Spydies I don’t buy make my Spyderco experience so much richer.

Occasionally, I do add to my accumulation of SAKs, but those are less knives than multitools. And they do precede by decades my Spydie affliction.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jdw

Post by jdw »

I buy overwhelming Spyderco knives. The few other brands that I have bought in the last few years in the same price range just left me disappointed. I've had to spend up to receive the same quality of knife that Spyderco offers. The couple of areas that I deviate from this is small fixed blades and flippers (although I'm not really a flipper guy). I have owned several and I have yet to own Spydie flipper that I have kept.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Virtually every knife that I buy or carry is a Spyderco these days. Their designs, materials, and workmanship are superior to everybody else (including many of the more expensive customs and mid-techs that I own). I really only buy other brands when Spyderco doesn’t make something specific that I need. For example, they stopped making the Bushcraft before I could afford one, so I had to go with another brand to get a fixed, scandi-ground blade in tool steel. Of course, if they were to do a sprint run of the Bushcraft in 4V steel, it would be much easier for me to remain faithful. :)
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im over 90% spyderco.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
attila

Post by attila »

For about a decade, Spyderco has been the only brand of folding knives that I buy. The last five years have seen a marked increase in how many I purchase.

I don’t mind the idea of other brands, Spyderco just scratches my itch. :spyder:
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
PStone

Post by PStone »

I buy mainly Spydercos. I still buy Buck knives occasionally. They’ve been a big part of my knife-life the last 30 or so years. Spyderco does dominate though. Both my hoard, and my purchases.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's been a long time since I purchased a conventional single blade folding knife that was not a Spyderco. On the other hand, given that they don't make OTF autos, double edged fixed blade daggers, anything remotely capable of replacing an X-Acto, or much in the way of a multi-tool, I do occasionally succumb to the lure of those items and go off the reservation. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Like most of the rest, once bitten by the Spyder I have overwhelmingly purchased Spydercos. However, it is not 100% as there are other compelling designs that interest me. Mono-cultures are rarely healthy.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Overwhelmingly Spyderco, and although I also have (quite) a few SAK’s, I never feel the need to buy more as they’re more like appliances.

I find their regional pocket knife designs irresistible whenever I visit France, though. The idea of each area having a unique design is brilliant, and very collectible.
benben

Post by benben »

My only non-Spyderco is a ZT 0562 that was gifted to me by my boss last Christmas, so technically, as far as my purchases, I'm 100% Spyderco! :D
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I also buy and collect 100% only Spyderco.
-Nick :bug-red
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

The big majority of my purchases are Spydies, let’s say about 80% of my collection is from Spyderco.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Only Spyderco folders for me aside from a handful of SAKs. I'm thinking about getting a GEC, but haven't pulled the trigger because new Spydies keep popping up. In the past few weeks I've gotten the St Nick's Native LW, DLT Purple PM2, and Spyopera. Now the K390 Delica will be available shortly, then presumably a G10 St Nick's Native, then the K390 Endura and Dragonfly, etc. So it may be 2021 before I actually get a GEC.

For fixed blades I don't currently have any Spydercos, but I will definitely buy any that appeal to me. There are a few on my radar, but I don't buy nearly as many fixed blades. I like CPK, LT Wright, BRK, and Mora for fixed blades in steels like 3V and Cruwear.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Holland

Post by Holland »

I own one leatherman and one tops fixed blade and 30+ spydercos
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE