EDIT: Just WOW! FINALLY!! (Sal, may I ask: Any plans for an Endura (or Pac Salt) SE in FFG?)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Sal, may I ask: Any plans for an Endura (or Pac Salt) SE in FFG?

Post by Wartstein »

Another bump, since I am so curious just if Sals answer to "any plans for an Endura/Pac Salt ffg SE" is more like "yes", "perhaps" or "no"... :)

But if we´ll get no answer: He´ll have his good reasons and we heard a lot of revelations lately anyway (concerning Caly 3.5, Swick, Ayoob, Chap variants...) ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Re: EDIT: Just WOW! (Sal, may I ask: Any plans for an Endura (or Pac Salt) SE in FFG?)

Post by Wartstein »

Hi Sal,

should you read this:

I can´t tell but perhaps you never replied in this thread cause you did not want to take away the great surprise that the latest reveal gifted to us!! :) :)

Anyway: Thanks so much for the FFG SE Pac Salt 2!!
Really my dream knife (just equally good as and actual Endura 4 in ffg SE would be) and at this point the end of my search for the perfect folder. THIS is it. Period.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Re: EDIT: Just WOW! (Sal, may I ask: Any plans for an Endura (or Pac Salt) SE in FFG?)

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:30 pm
Hi Sal,

should you read this:

I can´t tell but perhaps you never replied in this thread cause you did not want to take away the great surprise that the latest reveal gifted to us!! :) :)

Really my dream knife (just equally good as and actual Endura 4 in ffg SE would be) and at this point the end of my search for the perfect folder. THIS is it. Period.
I'm sure you'll love it. While I know you're happy with the weight and corrosion resistance of the Endura, LC200N performs a lot like VG10 for me in PE, so you should enjoy using it. Shaving a couple grams off the total weight is a nice bonus. Slightly grippier texture on the spine too.
:unicorn
Rp5

Re: EDIT: Just WOW! FINALLY!! (Sal, may I ask: Any plans for an Endura (or Pac Salt) SE in FFG?)

Post by Rp5 »

Just pre-ordered one in SE.

Any guesses how long these will take to drop? 6 months, a year?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:30 pm

I'm sure you'll love it. While I know you're happy with the weight and corrosion resistance of the Endura, LC200N performs a lot like VG10 for me in PE, so you should enjoy using it. Shaving a couple grams off the total weight is a nice bonus. Slightly grippier texture on the spine too.

Thanks, Vivi!

Yes, I know already I´ll love this knife and as said: If LC200N in SE just roughly performs and sharpens like VG10 in SE that´ś perfect (and I am sure it does, I just have to have a look at Davids thread about the Caribbean SE! - Though it will be interesting to see if there is any difference between Golden and Seki LC200N).

And while I slightly prefer the feel in hand and balance of the linered Endura, the weight saving really is a strong point for the ffg Pac Salt. I mean, imagine: Even a lot lighter than a Manix 2 LW (2.5 oz vcs 3oz!!) but a lot more cutting edge to work with and that in SE!!!! Just perfect.
Really, for a short moment I thought about getting this knife, and selling all of my others except the Chap FRN.
From a practical point of view all my needs would be more than covered with this Pac Salt ffg in SE and the Chap in PE.. :)
[Edited to replace wrong term]
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:55 pm

From a practical point of view all my needs would be more than covered with this Pac Salt ffg in SE and the Chap in PE.. :)
When I first saw new Reveal, I immediately thought RIP Gernot's wallet :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:20 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:55 pm

When I first saw new Reveal, I immediately thought RIP Gernot's wallet :D
:D True.:

- Pac Salt 2 ffg SE: M U S T have!
- Tenacious LW in S35VN: Great surprise! Only downside: No full SE version
- Chap with wood scales: Man, just amazing. Don't know if I should get this one or the sun and moon... or both... :D

But then, concerning "RIP wallet": Maybe I'll just have to structure my Spyderco collection (or more my Spyderco tool selection, since I only want and have users) totally new... sell a lot more and some I never thought I'd sell and focus on new ones.... :confused:
Pancake

Re: EDIT: Just WOW! FINALLY!! (Sal, may I ask: Any plans for an Endura (or Pac Salt) SE in FFG?)

Post by Pancake »

Oh yeah, this is the worst part, what old to sell and what new to get :D
I think I may pick up the FFG Pac Salt...maybe in SE.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Hmm.. I have a Manbug salt incoming just to check out those serrations you all are raving about, but ETA is more than two weeks away, so I might just take your word for it and jump with both feets into the SE hole, and pre-order a pac salt SE right away.
Not a deal breaker, but I wish they would have stayed with the yellow theme for all the salts, though..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:54 am
Hmm.. I have a Manbug salt incoming just to check out those serrations you all are raving about, but ETA is more than two weeks away, so I might just take your word for it and jump with both feets into the SE hole, and pre-order a pac salt SE right away.
Not a deal breaker, but I wish they would have stayed with the yellow theme for all the salts, though..

Good idea for sure I'd say if you want to "check out THE serrations we are all raving about" :)

The Manbug Salt SE will certainly be a nice knife (never had one myself), but it does not offer an ffg serrated blade and just from the depictions its serrations look to be rather "aggressive".
What most seem to like for general EDC tasks are more shallow, more rounded serrations in ffg and that's what the Pac Salt ffg SE most likely will give us.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:59 am
aicolainen wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:54 am

Good idea for sure I'd say if you want to "check out THE serrations we are all raving about" :)

The Manbug Salt SE will certainly be a nice knife (never had one myself), but it does not offer an ffg serrated blade and just from the depictions its serrations look to be rather "aggressive".
What most seem to like for general EDC tasks are more shallow, more rounded serrations in ffg and that's what the Pac Salt ffg SE most likely will give us.
Yup, I get that. I didn’t order the Manbug primarily because it had serrations, or well, kind of, but before I read some of the positive experiences users on this forum had with spyder edged knives I didn’t even consider serrated knives. As soon as that mindset changed, many more of Spydercos knives suddenly became relavant. It was a YT review from a forum member (the name escapes me) that convinced me the Manbug could be very close to perfect for the typical cutting tasks I do at work. Besides it looks more like a toy than a knife, which isn’t a negative considering the mushy knife laws we have here in Norway.

I had the Pac Salt PE some years back, and I have no recollection of why I sold it. I think I planned to use it as an all round backpacking knife, and that’s really still what I have in mind. It would of course have been helpful to remember why I sold it in the first place, but either way, with all the changes (v.2, FFG, LC200N) and this time with serrations, it’s certainly worth another try :-)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This new Pac Salt may just replace the Manix 2 LW I love so much. The Endura and Delica are already my overall favorite Spydercos and this one is rust proof.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

The serrations on the SE LC200N Pacific Salt look less aggressive/shallower (meaning, IMO, better) than on the H1 Pacific Salts. The LC200N serrations appear ground like the serrations on the Endela. I’m guessing that the serrations on all the FFG models will be like that. It wouldn’t make much sense to have overly-aggressive serrations on a FFG blade, as the teeth would be too brittle on such thinner-ground blades, and would snag.

Jim
tangent

Post by tangent »

Love it!

How long until we get the Salt 2 in LC200N?

:D
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

I'm in the same camp as tangent. Would love to see a Salt 2 SE in LC 200. In green of course.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

tangent wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:43 pm
Love it!

How long until we get the Salt 2 in LC200N?

:D

Guessing Reveal 7 for the Salt 2 and Dragonfly Salt. Hoping the Tasman 2 Salt SE and Spyderhawk 2 Salt SE also make it in there.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red