Para 3 Lefty?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ivtecdaily

Re: Para 3 Lefty?

Post by ivtecdaily »

JustinB wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:38 am
I am a southpaw myself, so I am always pro more left hand options...HOWEVER I personally have no issue using the "normal" compression lock with my left hand. Maybe it's just muscle memory and training to get used to using it left handed?
I have carried and used the gray Cru-Wear sprint Para 3 more than probably any other knife and have no issues using the lock with my left hand, so Im with you on that. But its constantly in my mind that it's a lock system kinda designed for right hand use and the novelty and unique-ness of something like the compression lock being made specifically for left hand use is just so cool. I wouldnt own a PM2 unless that lefty version was available, and I carry it some just because I love knowing it was made "for me" lol. So basically, yeah Im fine with the regular Para 3 but man a left handed one would be a real treat. I'm waiting for the day that Sal makes a comment in here saying it's coming :D
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

ivtecdaily wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:38 pm
JustinB wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:38 am
I am a southpaw myself, so I am always pro more left hand options...HOWEVER I personally have no issue using the "normal" compression lock with my left hand. Maybe it's just muscle memory and training to get used to using it left handed?
I have carried and used the gray Cru-Wear sprint Para 3 more than probably any other knife and have no issues using the lock with my left hand, so Im with you on that. But its constantly in my mind that it's a lock system kinda designed for right hand use and the novelty and unique-ness of something like the compression lock being made specifically for left hand use is just so cool. I wouldnt own a PM2 unless that lefty version was available, and I carry it some just because I love knowing it was made "for me" lol. So basically, yeah Im fine with the regular Para 3 but man a left handed one would be a real treat. I'm waiting for the day that Sal makes a comment in here saying it's coming :D
That's fair, I love carrying my Left handed Sebenza's in the same way. It is nice to have something made with specifically you in mind :D Hope you get your lefty model soon!
Justin :spyder:
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

This is why I created the poll for dominant hand of forum members, to create awareness of multiple lefties :D

We have to patiently wait...
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I don't like normal compression locks as a lefty. I own both the lefty PM2 and lefty Military. If a lefty PM3 ever comes out I'll definitely buy one.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

sal wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:27 pm
Hi Nostradamion, BushcraftJoe,

Welcome to our forum.

We have nothing planned at this time and quite a few new pieces in queue. We'll watch.

sal
Dear Mr. Glesser,

Is this ever going to happen?

Near future?

Please tell us so we can organize our wallets :D
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

I would love to see a lefty version of the Para3 LW.
Ric

Post by Ric »

+1
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm a righty - and very much so. Couldn't do much if my right hand was in a cast. Out of curiosity I fetched my Para 3 and tried to disengage the lock with my left hand's thumb. Worked fairly well for me.

To the other righties, try it and post your experience. Maybe I'm just not the standard. ;)

To the lefties asking for a lefty Para 3: where exactly is your problem? I'm not trying to be disrespectful, just curious why it's not working for you.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Nate

Post by Nate »

archangel wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:40 am
To the lefties asking for a lefty Para 3: where exactly is your problem? I'm not trying to be disrespectful, just curious why it's not working for you.
It's not a problem, it's preference. Please buy yourself a Para 2 left hand and only carry and use it righty for a month. Report back on your experience and which you prefer.

I have heard some lefties argue that they prefer the right hand version b/c they like to close it like a back lock. I don't, but cheers to them.

For the record, I am not asking for a lefty Para 3. I would buy one, but have 2 lefty Militaries and 2 lefty PM2's and that's enough for me. I worry that the left hand models don't sell well enough. I.e., too many lefties won't buy the "vanilla" satin s30v/black g10 left hand models b/c they're chasing sprints and eclusives and/or they have already gotten used to the right hand lock.
:spyder:
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I'm right handed, though I've tried to practice doing things with my left hand, too. (shooting pistols, using knives, computer mouse...) I can open and close my Mantras with either hand; I have one set up for RH carry and one for LH carry. Two Manix 2's, two Delicas w/ Emerson Openers, two PM2's, (one LH & one RH,) a Smock, etc.

I'd have a hard time using a RH Para 3 left-handed, so I'd buy LH Para 3's. I'd probably get different colors, too. (Gotta "accessorize.")
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Nate wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:00 am
archangel wrote:
It's not a problem, it's preference. Please buy yourself a Para 2 left hand and only carry and use it righty for a month. Report back on your experience and which you prefer.

I have heard some lefties argue that they prefer the right hand version b/c they like to close it like a back lock. I don't, but cheers to them.

For the record, I am not asking for a lefty Para 3. I would buy one, but have 2 lefty Militaries and 2 lefty PM2's and that's enough for me. I worry that the left hand models don't sell well enough. I.e., too many lefties won't buy the "vanilla" satin s30v/black g10 left hand models b/c they're chasing sprints and eclusives and/or they have already gotten used to the right hand lock.
In this case, vanilla version would be an improvement also :D

To tell you the truth, I would prefer the G10/S30V version over FRN. In the past years I have started appreciating G10 with liners much more than linerless FRN. The latter are less expensive and lighter, but the G10 with liners feels rock solid in your hands + IMHO looks much more appealing. Just my 2 cents :D
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

archangel wrote:

As a leftie, I can manage the compression lock on the Paras... but the thing is, our grip are not as secure as righties, since the only thing gripping the knife on the compression lock side is our thumb, no other fingers. So when we operate the compression lock, it takes a bit of careful positioning of the thumb for the release while at the same time, using the other four fingers on the display side gripping the edge of the clip to prevent the knife from falling. It takes a bit of practice and if you're not careful, you might slip and let go of the knife.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I'm bumping this thread to first page until we get our lefty Para3 :D

Come on guys, make this happen already, I'm sick of all the lockbacks I have.

I want a Spyderco EDC blade to carry around which has compression lock.

Para 2 is just too **** big to carry on a daily basis.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I imagine the reason there's no lefty version yet is that every single component of the knife would have to redesigned. No part of the manufacturing process would be like the rest of the Para 3s. You would need lefty blades and lefty locking tab. The bigger deal would be FRN scales... you'd need to make an identical mirrored set of moulds, which is presumably no trivial matter. I am guessing the G10 Para 3 would be a bit easier to produce.
Basically a lefty Para 3 would be an entirely new knife that bears a strange resemblance to the regular Para 3.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Thunderpants wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:41 pm
I imagine the reason there's no lefty version yet is that every single component of the knife would have to redesigned. No part of the manufacturing process would be like the rest of the Para 3s. You would need lefty blades and lefty locking tab. The bigger deal would be FRN scales... you'd need to make an identical mirrored set of moulds, which is presumably no trivial matter. I am guessing the G10 Para 3 would be a bit easier to produce.
Basically a lefty Para 3 would be an entirely new knife that bears a strange resemblance to the regular Para 3.
Yes, the G10 version is the most likely option.
For the blueprints: Autocad - Mirror, Enter, done! :D
Not sure how is the grinding of the blade for the lock done in Golden, if it's by computer, it's not a problem to set the command similar to blueprints.

Not sure for the G10 grinding, but would assume similar to above.

The lock itself could be problematic, as hardware needs to be altered IMO.

A G10 version with the new proprietary SPY27 steel would be magnificent.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’m a lefty, and using a standard compression lock has become ‘normal’ to me. Admittedly I haven’t tried the lefty version, but I kinda don’t want to mess with my muscle memory, given I have a few ‘righty’ compression lock knives.

If a lefty G10 Para 3 in Spy27 came out, I’d get one though.

I love my lefty Millie, and bang the drum whenever I can for a version in a tool steel blade. One of my pet dislikes is ‘clever’ modern industrial design, which is solely right hand biased, with no concessions whatsoever to the 7-10% of end line users who are left handed. Modern industrial vehicles, machine controls, and safety features are nearly always designed solely with right handed users in mind. :mad:

Having a proper lefty knife does feel pretty special, when like most lefties, you’ve lived your whole life using tools that weren’t designed for you. It’s one of the reasons why I appreciate Spyderco - they keep models in production ‘because they should be available’ rather than just the big sellers. :)

I kinda feel that we lefties are about due for another dedicated model, given how many pure right handed designs are out there - Marcin Slysz I’m lookin’ at you buddy!

(On the other hand it does save some money, looking at all the cool designs in the latest catalogue or Reveal, and having half to two thirds of the knives I’m interested in being self selected out of contention due to right hand bias. :D )
millwright

Post by millwright »

I’m a lefty and I tried the normal variant PM2 and just couldn’t get comfortable with it. When the left handed version came out it quickly became my most used and carried knife. I now own three with one wearing aftermarket burlap micarta scales.
If a left handed PM3 were released I would without a doubt own multiples.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

millwright wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:33 pm
I’m a lefty and I tried the normal variant PM2 and just couldn’t get comfortable with it. When the left handed version came out it quickly became my most used and carried knife. I now own three with one wearing aftermarket burlap micarta scales.
If a left handed PM3 were released I would without a doubt own multiples.

Do you have pics of your micarta'ed leftie? Would love to see a custom one, all lefties I've seen posted are the OG stuff. Might inspire me to track down a PM2 lefty :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
millwright

Post by millwright »

2AF753E3-FC54-416D-8D26-62541FF4C955.jpeg
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I'm sure Sal will surprise us for Christmas :D