Found this guy on the side of the road

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpm2

Re: Found this guy on the side of the road

Post by jpm2 »

I would soak it with wd40 or some other oil, let stand for 24 hours, wipe dry, remove whatever is left with fine steel wool.
Sharpen and use.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

“A cooler lid flew out of the back of a friends truck (stupid I know, as it could be a hazard to other drivers) I was following behind and seen it go off into the grass. I stopped to get it...”

What are the odds of the cooler lid flying off right there? Amazing.

The last knife I found was a “seasoned” Shrade clone of a Buck 110. I was walking down the road and a snow plow pitched it off to the side into melting snow.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Dag. This feels like a win for FRN. Definitive win for you, Dross. I do not think I would pay $20 for it as is, but I would rather find that on the side of the road than $20, or a cooler lid.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Too bad they didn’t drop a Salt. :) Flitz metal polish might help remove that rust.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dross8731 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:57 pm

A cooler lid flew out of the back of a friends truck (stupid I know, as it could be a hazard to other drivers) I was following behind and seen it go off into the grass. I stopped to get it, and walked up the edge line of the highway and it was half in the dirt half on the edge of pavement with the blade open..,
luckily not in someone's tire at some point lol.

I actually got a flat in my truck 2 weeks ago and the culprit was a utility knife blade. I was at the dump the day before so I'm assuming I ran over it there. :(
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I had one, and liked it. They are slicey and light. Sorry for whoever lost it, but nice find. I agree with a WD-40 soak, I have been lucky removing rust with it. I bet you can salvage it, and it will be a good user.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

That’s an amazing find! My father-in-law used to work for CalTrans and he found all types of amazing stuff. One of his coworkers found $50k in cash in a bag. He turned it in, but when no one claimed it, it was all his! Talk about a great road find!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Breakfree will loosen up any corrosion. You can use mr. clean magic eraser to get at the spots. A pencil eraser might work if it’s nit too bad after the Breakfree treatment.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would send to Spyderco for the $5 fee. They can fix the tip and clean it up a bit. Plus, I'm sure they would not mind studying it a bit to see how well it held up.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Thats an awesome find! Clean it up, acid stonewash it and make yourself a Centofante Apocalypse edition! :D