Z-Wear Shaman lookout thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Z-Wear Shaman lookout thread

Post by archangel »

I have no pre-order anywhere. :( and as far as I can see, there's no shop taking any pre-orders anymore - at least none of the big shops that ship worldwide.

You think I'll get a chance? I really want this version of the Shaman so badly....

Anyone willing to help me, in any way possible?
Last edited by archangel on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JMM

Re: Your opinion: what are my chances to get a Z-Wear Shaman?

Post by JMM »

I think it's largely going to come down to how much time & energy you're willing to put in signing up for alerts on every site you can, and keeping on top of the alert thread... but that's just my guess. Does anyone know off hand how many were going to be made, I think I heard/read somewhere the CruCarta was a run of 1200 and the new Sprint was going to be "more" -- possibly 2400? If anyone has more accurate data that'd be swell. :)

[Edit:] IMO 10k would probably sell out pretty quickly, and would at least slow the flippers down a bit. I know I want one for sure.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've always had good luck, just getting notifications on the alert threads.

If I've missed one, it's almost always my own fault. The exclusives are usually the hardest to get because everyone knows where to look and there are sometimes server issues to contend with.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

If you check this forum religiously, your chances are very good. Preorders are worthless on sprints
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:06 am
If you check this forum religiously, your chances are very good. Preorders are worthless on sprints

I´ve never preordered a sprint myself, so may I ask: WHY is it "worthless" doing so ?!

I mean if I preorder AND pay for the item in advance, it certainly should be 100 % reserved for me and I shoud 100% get it?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:06 am

Anyone willing to help me, in any way possible?

I´d help you for sure if there is a way to do so... but the only one I could think of is that I also try to get the knife and if I got lucky but you´re not pass the Shaman to you for the exact same price I paid (I do want a Shaman eventually, but am totally fine with the S30V base model, even prefer its stonewashed blade I guess).

But if we should BOTH succeed in getting the Z-Wear Shaman I´d have to return "mine". I absolutely don´t like to do that normally, but in this case I would not even open the box and someone else would sure be happy to get the returned knife then.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

We're making quite a few of them so your chances are good if you pay attention.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:06 am
Preorders are worthless on sprints
Hmmm I've purchased several sprints via pre-order. I've also cancelled a few pre-orders when I was able to purchase from another dealer prior to receiving the pre-order. Often not necessary but I wouldn't say they're worthless either
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:20 am
I´ve never preordered a sprint myself, so may I ask: WHY is it "worthless" doing so ?!

I mean if I preorder AND pay for the item in advance, it certainly should be 100 % reserved for me and I shoud 100% get it?!
Yes, in a perfect world but sometimes it doesn't work that way because dealers don't always know exactly how many knives they'll be getting. I won't even bother to pre-order I know I'm getting in line early enough to pretty much guarantee I'll get one. Even then I'll watch for sprint runs to become available from another dealer and might buy from them instead.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

In my experience pre-orders are worthless for sprints unless you pre-order within an hour of the site posting the pre-order. Why? Dealers don't know when or how many sprints they will get. They also leave the pre-order listing up... So by the time you preorder weeks later you are #456 in line when they are only going to get 5 of these knives... So don't trust in pre-orders.
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This forum is great about helping other people get sprints by posting where they are dropping. I've been helped and helped others dozens of times this way.
Spydergirl88
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have a feeling this one will be relatively easy to attain if you want one. I think Spyderco has increased the size of sprint runs in general. Maybe not every sprint run but I think some of predictably more popular sprints have been increased.

The REX45 Shaman seemed to trickle out for a while after the initial release. I was seeing it in stock for extended periods of time at some retailers.
-Nick :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:41 am
Hi Michael,

sal

This is excellent to hear! Thanks Sal! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm going to be the dissenter here and say chances will be poor. With the very long lead time (Original Cru-carta lead + Zwear lead combined as they share the same customer base) there is going to be overwhelming demand for this knife. Unless you are willing to be obsessive about getting one, you will be in the same boat as me. Just a little late to the party. I have a pre-order in, but I do not expect to actually receive one.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Hi Michael,

sal

Sal, I recall you saying last year your team planned on making three additional Micarta Shamans. Are there still two more in the works? Perhaps some in OD Green, Denim, Burgundy, etc? Maybe CPM-3V??? ;)

Also, what are the chances of a follow up Sprint to the Cruwear or Z-wear version, but with DLC? Those would do well and allow more folks to get one. ESPECIALLY with coated liners. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Hi Michael,

sal

Sal that is music to my ears! :) Thanks for chiming in!

Thanks go out to all fellas that replied here. I'll frequent the forum even more often once the first Shamans see the light. :)
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

you could submit a photo for the calendar contest for a chance to win one.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
archangel

Post by archangel »

I wanted to add that I have only placed pre-orders at KC so far, and of the 5 or 6 that I placed, only 2 came to shipping. The others were so delayed that I eventually cancelled them and ordered the spydies elsewhere. So yes I see that you should not put all your money on pre-orders, but sometimes they do work.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:08 am
you could submit a photo for the calendar contest for a chance to win one.

Neat idea, but I'm ridiculously untalented when it comes to taking pictures...
Michael
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I feel like with the Shaman, a lot of people have grabbed recent exclusives or sprints and then ultimately decided the knife wasn't for them. I've read a lot of people thinking it was too big, too heavy, too thick of a blade, etc. Maybe the hype for the Z Wear will have settled a bit since the initial Cruwear drop where EVERY knife enthusiast had it as a must have.

Could just be wishful thinking for anybody here that hopes to get one! But I know I've read a fair share of people that decided the Shaman wasn't for them once they finally got their hands on one.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick