What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Featherblade

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Featherblade »

Up on the roof

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The folder I´d probably keep if I could only have one.
Seen here on a nice hike, Austrian glacier mountains (snow and ice all year round) in the background.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This little combo again Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

IMG_20200809_182058.jpg
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

blueblur wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:09 am
Cambertree wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:59 pm
Been giving this one a run lately:

Nice feedback.

I love my pe 52100 PM2 so much I was debating on getting the ce. I definitely would have bought a full se if it was offered but ended up going with a second pe model.

I wish we would see more steels in se, especially something like 52100.
Thanks. :) Yeah I think the combo edge in this steel in a PM2 length blade is a great edge configuration. I’ve actually been preferring it to full SE.

I’m always interested to see that those who have any of the 52100 models seem to think highly of them. I’d definitely get a PE 52100 PM2 or Para 3 if I saw one.

Yes, AEB-L would be be another steel I’d be interested to see as a SE option.

I’ll have it in my pocket again today.

(52100 PM2 with some carnivorous sundew plants.)

I’ve been enjoying the wilderness pics here lately, so here’s some of my local area:

Antarctic tree ferns shrouding a small creekline:

Eucalyptus regrowth near some 19th century Gold Rush camp diggings:

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:06 pm
blueblur wrote:
Cambertree wrote:

Nice feedback.

I love my pe 52100 PM2 so much I was debating on getting the ce. I definitely would have bought a full se if it was offered but ended up going with a second pe model.

Thanks. :) Yeah I think the combo edge in this steel in a PM2 length blade is a great edge configuration. I’ve actually been preferring it to full SE.

I’m always interested to see that those who have any of the 52100 models seem to think highly of them. I’d definitely get a PE 52100 PM2 or Para 3 if I saw one.

I agree - after trying out both the fully serrated s30v pm2, and the CE 52100 pm2, I definitely preferred the CE. But I will say, 52100 is the only steel that's ever given me real problems with corrosion. I was planning to carry the pm2 the other day, and when I pulled it out there were small streaks of surface corrosion along the spine. And that knife had been put away clean and oiled in my spydiepack in an air conditioned house. It came mostly off with some flitz, but I was pretty baffled. My 52100 manix has had rust spots on the edge before, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Glad you enjoy your 52100 CE! I have the KW exclusive Manix in 52100. For me, in my uses it's kind of average/below average. The quick loss of edge retention is a bit of a downer. Though, once that initial sharpness is gone I've found it to maintain a working edge just as well as any other. Ease of sharpening is definitely a plus, so i bet it's a lot of fun as a CE. Enough PE and SE on it on the PM2 to make both edges very usable.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

A couple of classy favorites for some leisure time. :spyder: :cool:

IMG_20200809_174015.jpg
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree wrote:
blueblur wrote:
Cambertree wrote:

Nice feedback.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/SE9rBDG.jpg

(52100 PM2 with some carnivorous sundew plants.)

I’ve been enjoying the wilderness pics here lately, so here’s some of my local area:

Antarctic tree ferns shrouding a small creekline:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lMPPVh3.jpg

Eucalyptus regrowth near some 19th century Gold Rush camp diggings:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/a7xWsOh.jpg

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Bpu2Dxq.jpg
Very nice, Cambertree! Thanks for sharing the photos and notes.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah Julia, it’s a challenge sometimes to deal with a folder like this in a non-corrosion resistant steel. I’d previously decided against buying a 52100 Spydie, due to concerns about maintaining a rust free pivot area, but in the end I’m glad I just decided to go with it and commit to the extra care needed.

Probably half my collection or more are in simple carbon steels in various traditional or regional/historical patterns, so luckily I’m fairly familiar with the maintenance requirements. I’ve found that applying oil with your fingertip can leave salts which cause rust streaks later on.

Rick: yes, I agree - I think if I was cutting a lot of abrasive materials at work this wouldn’t be the steel I’d use. The things I like about 52100 are that it will take a very thin, stable edge, so it’s worth regrinding it a bit to enjoy that enhanced cutting performance. Also, if you don’t mind doing a bit of touch up sharpening regularly, it’s a real pleasure to have that high level sharpness at hand.

I certainly appreciate raw wear resistance in working knives, but it’s also not much of a bother to do a few honing passes on the Sharpmaker or Goldenstone, or UF benchstone when I get home from work, or carry the Doublestuff 2 in my pocket if I need to.

Thanks Enactive - that’s a classy and capable pair for sure. You can prepare a tasty meal with the Spydiechef and crack a refreshing beverage with the Crownlifter! Perfection. :)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:52 pm
A couple of classy favorites for some leisure time. :spyder: :cool:

IMG_20200809_174015.
open
IMG_20200809_175912.jpg
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pacific Salt joined me on some forest trails. In the process of reprofiling the Siren.

:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

This pair has been a theme more often than not lately

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

-Turbo
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

My left hand PM2 and the Ladybug.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Higher wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:18 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:00 am
Higher wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:34 am
In fact, the photos are very beautiful. Mountains are one of nature's finest creations. Beautiful knives are one of the best human creations. Both are very beautiful!

Going to the mountains is an event. This is a test. A person is tested in the mountains. We say: "If you want to check a friend (get to know the person better) - take him with you to the mountains"

I live 100 km (60 miles) from the oldest mountains on earth :) If we measure the height of the mountains, you won :)

Since this thread is about a photo, then I will ask:
Wartstein, how did you do the self-timer? You're up a mountain far away from the camera. Do you have a bt button?

Wise words, Viacheslav!
Though actually going to the mountains very often is just a delightful experience and always makes for a full and rich day in ones life, it certainly CAN be a test either and bring out both the best and worst in people - attributes you won´t see in a normal, day to day life..

/ "Oldest mountains on earth"? :rolleyes: Not sure what you mean.. ;) I thought the geologically oldest mountains on earth were in South Africa (greenstone belt), but what do I know...

/ Self timer: Actually this was just the self timer on my smart phone camera, and it is a rather basic and cheap device... :o Might be that the perspective makes it look like I´d be very far away from the camera, but the self timer actually was set on just 20 seconds.
I also don´t have almost any experience with making such "selfies", since I normally never make pics of myself ;)
In a way I am very old school, this forum is the only platform whatsoever I am active on the internet, and of things like facebook, instagram and twitter I know nothing more than that those things principally exist, but never visit them, let alone being active or post pics there.
I took that pic of myself on the last meters to the summit originally only for some buddies, who started to tease me cause finding a route up to this particular peak was one of my solo-projects, and I had already failed (so had to turn back) two times... :p :p

/ Old pic, but mountain-related and actually the knife I do carry today :)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
blueblur wrote:
Cambertree wrote:

Out of all the existing PM2 versions this is the one I´d choose I guess! I think that "combo edge is only what unexpereinced people choose and actually offers the worst of both worlds"-cliche is totally wrong! ("Unexperienced" is obviously rubbish anyway in YOUR case, Cambertree ;), and a combo-edge can be a very good choice for a work knife imho. Though full SE with like 1/2 of an inch PE towards the tip is still what I´d prefer).

Beautifull pics of your wilderness areas! :) Love it! Guess I´ll just HAVE to visit Australia one day...
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:23 pm
That photo made me happy, beautiful light ... I could look at that for a month if it was on a calendar .....
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Probably really liked BBTurbo's image so much 'cos its misty and cold this morning ...

Renegade aka Native Chief prototype in my pocket