Plastic Knives are BEST.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: Plastic Knives are BEST.

Post by p_atrick »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:09 pm
FRN for the win. The Seki stuff is my favorite.
I love my P4LW, but would it feel as sturdy if it were linerless?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Hot take: g10 IS plastic.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:40 am
LOL!!! :D

And on top of that, they both utilize fiberglass to create their strength.
-Nick :bug-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:17 pm
Ha ha! If given a choice, I generally prefer steel lined, but I don't mind unlined FRN/FRCP. As Tom said, they're all good, just different.

Rusty, I get a kick out of your writing style. :D :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

If you ever wear insulted leather gloves, you'll appreciate the heft of the g10 and liners instead of fumbling with a plastic featherweight. You can keep your red solo cup knives. :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:36 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:09 pm
FRN for the win. The Seki stuff is my favorite.
I love my P4LW, but would it feel as sturdy if it were linerless?

I'm not saying they should go linerless, I'm just saying I prefer FRN knives in general. I like the liners on the Delica and Endura. I do think they are making great strides in linerless technology as the Pacific Salt 2 feels much sturdier than the Pacific Salt 1 in my opinion. I haven't put the 2 through enough work to judge if it feels as sturdy as the Endura, but it does feel pretty solid.

I wonder if they could do something like carbon fiber liners to keep the weight down while still adding strength and rigidity?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:40 am
If you ever wear insulted leather gloves, you'll appreciate the heft of the g10 and liners instead of fumbling with a plastic featherweight. You can keep your red solo cup knives. :D

Yeah, I do like a G10 Military in this instance. Best knife for gloved hands in my opinion. I really want a DLC Cru-ple Military.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BornIn1500 wrote:

Don't think we're talking only linerless FRN here, but FRN generally?
I've used both Stretch (FRN and liners) and PM2 (G10 and liners) with insulated gloves... I'd say equally good feel in hand (just the lock of the Stretch is a lot easier to operate with such gloves than the PM2 lock for me).
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:40 am
But G10 is much heavier and more expensive.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

They're both good. And of course it depends where the frn is from, as Golden's is a little slippery and tends to look more plastic-y, while seki's is gorgeously textured and all the seams are hidden.

They're both very strong, but g-10 flexes very little if at all, while frn flexes freely. G-10 has more textural variation and can generally look better when smoothed out, but frn can be molded freely and easily, and texture can be simply molded in. Frn is cheaper, G10 is more ding and heat resistant.

It's like comparing G-10 and Micarta. They're both good and are better at different things. Although I agree with the sentiment that in the modern age there's very little reason to stop moving forward in material technology.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

BornIn1500 wrote:
You just need winter and summer knives. ;)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:31 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
You just need winter and summer knives. ;)

That's the way I look at my knives to be honest. FRN lightweights in spring/summer in shorts, G10 and Micarta for fall/winter in jeans.
James Y

Post by James Y »

G10, FRN, whatever. I like ‘em all. For me, my preference of material depends on which knife model it is.

Jim
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I’m carrying some Spyderco plastic in my pocket right now. And the sheath is cardboard, go figure!
Attachments
DC85EB56-7AF1-43D4-8829-98CDBA4CD6E8.jpeg
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I have a variety of knives for a reason. Not every knife has to be the same or is suitable for the same construction and materials. Yes FRN is great in some knives but not in others, and it is a choice to not carry plastic sometimes.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think I agree with the OP, and my knife collection would certainly prove it. Oddly though, my dream knife is a Spydiechef. I'm conflicted. 😱
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I have a large number of both G10 and FRN spydies. I really like G10 but I usually find myself carrying FRN. When it comes down to it, I really do prefer FRN on users. I agree with OP that there is nothing inferior about FRN given modern technology.
archangel

Post by archangel »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:18 pm
They feel cheap, like toys and even look it! I'm obviously the complete opposite of you :p

Linered G10 > linerless plastic

^^ This. 100%. 105 even.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I love linered G10.

I marvel at linerless G10 and FRN.

I didn’t care for FRCP. Perhaps it was the mold created for the Manix2, and the use of pins rather than screws. Also, I didn’t get the impression FRCP has the ductility FRN has.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Good to read so many diverse opinions on handle materials. Apparently there's a whole lotta ways that folks like to get all slicey, dicey, sticky, and pokey.