Plastic Knives are BEST.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Plastic Knives are BEST.

Post by RustyIron »

I'm not saying that those clunky old knives with the metal liners are BAD, but come on, this is the 21st Century. The more I compare those old-school knives and our modern plastic-handled knives, the more I prefer the latter. The F-35 Lightning is made of plastic. My full-race mountain bike is plastic. Sal's McLaren Elva is plastic. Excess metal is so 1990's.

The superiority of Spyderco's bi-directional pattern over the sandpapery G10 aside, FRN and FRCP are incredibly strong, and I'd venture to say more resilient than metal. The lightweight plastic is... lighter weight. I'm holding two Manixes right now. The blade drops down equally well with the fully lined and the LW. Now I'm holding two Native 5's. The operation of both is identical, but the LW is a little quieter when clicking open. I was ready to pull the trigger on a fully lined pakkawood Dragonfly, but at the last minute, came to my senses. The one-piece FRN handled Dragonfly the embodiment of sheer elegance, and the lined pakkawood seems to be a downgrade.

More and more, the 21st Century plastic knives are the ones that find their way into my pocket.

plastics-one-word-dustin-hoffman-the-graduate-from-google-search-120718-1024x418.jpg

TkoK83Spy

Re: Plastic Knives are BEST.

Post by TkoK83Spy »

They feel cheap, like toys and even look it! I'm obviously the complete opposite of you :p

Linered G10 > linerless plastic
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Get the popcorn out!

This is all highly subjective. I like FRN/FRCP knives as much as I like the G10, CF, & Titanium knives I have. I don't think Spyderco's FRN knives feel cheap or like toys. They're extremely functional IMO. To each their own I guess
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i like both, depending on the knife and expected usage.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:33 pm

Stop making sense with your new age logic and reasoning :eek:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:41 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:33 pm

Stop making sense with your new age logic and reasoning :eek:
🤣
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

^^Yep, it depends a lot on the model for me, and the use. I greatly prefer the g10 native over the lightweight, but I prefer the lightweight para3 over the g10 model. I love the solid feel and weight of linered g10 on the Manix 2, but when I'm wearing really lightweight clothing, nothing beats carrying frn.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I don't have any strong feelings either for or against plastic knife handles. My takeaway from this post is that Sal owns a McLaren Elva :D
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

G10 is as much a thermoplastic as it is a glass.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Personally, I like steel knives the best. ;)
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12 pm
....My takeaway from this post is that Sal owns a McLaren Elva :D
Ha! I took note of that too! My first thought was Go Sal! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Para 3 LW Spy27 is my first frn handle knife. I'm still in love with the Gerber Gator grip for a hunting knife and it excels with mitts in the proper cold. I have knives with some G10 scales, some aluminum scales, a cord wrap that sucks, some wood scales and this one frn that feels cheep. I get it, in 40 years it will probably feel just like it does today, cheep. Wood will crack, orange G10 will look dirtier and cord wraps will suck for ever.

I have been warming up to the texture of the Para 3 LW Spy27 over time and feel like I have good grip. The knife really wants you to use the jimping and choil. I have tried to stay off and away but the knife really performs best for me if I am choked up. This makes a great deal of sense to me, the expensive steel wants my hands off the cheep plastic. I have not tried cutting anything that requires mitts yet.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:18 pm
They feel cheap, like toys and even look it! I'm obviously the complete opposite of you :p

Linered G10 > linerless plastic
All day, every day.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

FRN for the win. The Seki stuff is my favorite. Endura in DLT's DLC Cru-ple combo is my grail.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I prefer the FRN and FRCP lightweights. I must, I have a bunch of them. I think they are strong and have less things to rust. However, I do like to have a few knives that are 'purdy' and so have steel liners to put nice scales on. I also like linerless G10 as it is bear strong.

Sometimes a steel liner is also needed to make the scales stiffer or to reinforce a pivot or attachment point, but not always. I like Spyderco unlinered FRN and FRCP knives and they do not need anything, but when comparing to another company's Bugout knives that flex and bend, or an old unlinered Voyager that also flexes and bends, both needing liners, Spyderco is so far above these it is out of sight.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

While I slightly prefer g10 to frn/frcp, I don’t like liners on any knives that don’t require them for the lock. The extra weight doesn’t really bother me, but liners don’t really add any benefits while creating space for hidden but pervasive rust to creep into the pivot. I’ll take linerless g10 all the way. I’m really looking forwards to the s90v and rex 45 native chiefs for that reason.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:13 am
While I slightly prefer g10 to frn/frcp, I don’t like liners on any knives that don’t require them for the lock. The extra weight doesn’t really bother me, but liners don’t really add any benefits while creating space for hidden but pervasive rust to creep into the pivot. I’ll take linerless g10 all the way. I’m really looking forwards to the s90v and rex 45 native chiefs for that reason.
I'm with you on this. I really like my standard Native 5 LW, and my Native 5 Salt is the knife I carry the most. However, despite all the folks on here saying that their LW Native 5's have action just as good as their G10 Native 5's, I've not found that to be the case. The liner-less G10 Native 5's I've owned and handled have consistently had better actions than the LW Native 5's. I really like all Ti frame locks for simplicity and corrosion resistance - I still want a Sage 5 / Sage 2 hybrid as an all Ti handle knife with an integral comp lock like the first A.T.R. In my experience the thread inserts that are set into liner-less G10 or molded into FRN are also much sturdier for holding clip screws than liners are. I can't wait for the Endela to get the Salt treatment so I can get that Goldilocks sized knife without liners, and with the clip screw thread inserts.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

All good, just different.

I use and carry both and enjoy and value both.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have certainly come full circle on this issue, from mostly avoiding FRN/FCRP in favour of G10 whenever possible, to actually really liking and seeing benefits with both of them... one of my most carried/used/loved knives is my TreeRex, so there ya go. ;) :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FRN / FRCP (regardless if linered or not) are my favorite handle materials especially from a practical point of view and I clearly prefer them over G10:
- Lighter;
- I´d assume (don´t know for sure though!) even more resilient to cracking or chipping (but rather getting a dent instead);
- Come contoured out of the mold in many cases (differently to G10, except the Shaman);
- Grippier in hand (with the bidirectional texturing)
- While still being less of a pocket shredder at least in my experience (that last point might be due not to the FRN itself, but to the fact that the clip lands on the smooth Spyderco-logo on the handle. When one pulls the knife out of the pocket, obviously the handle area that is pressed against the garment by the clip on the outside rubs against the pocket the most when the knife is moved out of the pocket. So the smooth FRN spot in this area most likely is less harmfull to the garment than the more or less coarse G10)

That being said: I love nice wood scales (had a Zirikote wood Millie..) and Micarta (have a Micarta scale Endura and most likely would love TeroTuf too. but strictly practically speaking I guess nothing can beat FRN for me.

Though, for me especially noticable on the Manix: While the LW certainly is the better choice for me personally, feels solid and well built, and can still handle everything I throw at it: I could handle G10 Manixes a few times and have to admit: They just feel like another level of quality and class, no doubt.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)