C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by VooDooChild »

twinboysdad wrote: Man, I shouldn’t take so much time off from this place! I literally flew through 9 pages looking for “did Sal respond?” And then BOOM. I want a SE and would gladly take VG10. As a matter of fact, with the time I spent away from here working- VG10 is a great steel. It’s ability to Resharpen easily makes it straight baller and it’s history with SE is only second to H1. Here’s my opinion no one asked for- make it easy on Sal and do it in VG10. Let’s let the handle be the debatable item. VG10 and G10 and just sweat the color. Again, I have been so satisfied with my VG10 Spyders in real work. SE for me and thanks to JD for being borderline OCD, I honestly didn’t think we would get here and you all should thank him
I agree. Personally on this knife I would want dark grey.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
benben

Post by benben »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:54 pm
twinboysdad wrote: Man, I shouldn’t take so much time off from this place! I literally flew through 9 pages looking for “did Sal respond?” And then BOOM. I want a SE and would gladly take VG10. As a matter of fact, with the time I spent away from here working- VG10 is a great steel. It’s ability to Resharpen easily makes it straight baller and it’s history with SE is only second to H1. Here’s my opinion no one asked for- make it easy on Sal and do it in VG10. Let’s let the handle be the debatable item. VG10 and G10 and just sweat the color. Again, I have been so satisfied with my VG10 Spyders in real work. SE for me and thanks to JD for being borderline OCD, I honestly didn’t think we would get here and you all should thank him
I agree. Personally on this knife I would want dark grey.
I like the dark gray suggestion, and this particular blue.
4DD538FB-0C61-4AC7-B0DB-149172D89CC7.jpeg
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

How about the same green the original Lil Temp came in or the blue the original Yojimbo had an option on?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:50 pm
How about the same green the original Lil Temp came in or the blue the original Yojimbo had an option on?
I've got a better option than that. If you remember when the first SPYDERHAWK model was introduced they made the PE version with a black handle and the SE version with a blue handle which I thought was a good way to do it.

I had an older JESTER model with a "Burgundy" colored handle>> I've always liked that shade of Burgundy. That would be a good color for the serrated/Spyderedged C-60 and they could do the PE in a dark green or just plain black.

Having the two edge types color coded with make them a very attractive collector piece for serious collectors. Also you would know what you are working with even without unfolding it. But those are minor issues that can be resolved quickly. But I do like the idea of the two edge types with different colored handles.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:07 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:50 pm
I've got a better option than that. If you remember when the first SPYDERHAWK model was introduced they made the PE version with a black handle and the SE version with a blue handle which I thought was a good way to do it.

I had an older JESTER model with a "Burgundy" colored handle>> I've always liked that shade of Burgundy. That would be a good color for the serrated/Spyderedged C-60 and they could do the PE in a dark green or just plain black.

Having the two edge types color coded with make them a very attractive collector piece for serious collectors. Also you would know what you are working with even without unfolding it. But those are minor issues that can be resolved quickly. But I do like the idea of the two edge types with different colored handles.
Yup, I’d buy that for sure in any steel!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Since these handles are not shared with another model, Spyderco may not want to take the risk of two colors. It might increase the levels of people saying the wrong color is on the wrong blade! I like the idea, but understand it probably will not happen. Maybe some reseller will take up the idea for their exclusives?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems like it would be a good opportunity for Spy27 and just go with that navy blue they're already using for those knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:47 am
Seems like it would be a good opportunity for Spy27 and just go with that navy blue they're already using for those knives.
I would have zero complaints about that.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:02 am
Evil D wrote:
I would have zero complaints about that.

It would actually excite me even more because I'd like to try Spy27 in SE.
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’m just excited to see all the buzz on this, regardless of what materials are used. (But yes, VG-10 or SPY27 with G-10 would be fantastic). My only real preference would be for a screw-together construction vs. pinned.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
If going that route will help Spyderco to accomplish this then I'll be the last one to object. They didn't color-code the original C-60 in SE & PE so I can live with one color of handle.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:56 am
I’m just excited to see all the buzz on this, regardless of what materials are used. (But yes, VG-10 or SPY27 with G-10 would be fantastic). My only real preference would be for a screw-together construction vs. pinned.
Yeah I would also like to see "screw" construction similar to my C-36 Military models. I like the idea of being able to work on them myself.

But as far as blade steel goes I would rather they use one of the newer/better blade steels that are talked about a lot. I've already named at least a dozen of them on this thread. But I don't know what limitations Spyderco would have to make this project economical for the company. But I do hope for the best of all materials.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:47 pm
Evil D wrote:
If going that route will help Spyderco to accomplish this then I'll be the last one to object. They didn't color-code the original C-60 in SE & PE so I can live with one color of handle.

The only issue I can think of is if that navy blue is going to be the Spy27 color then making a sprint in the same color and steel as the rest of them might be confusing. I can't imagine Spy27 will only ever be offered in blue though. I'm just looking for ways to make it happen.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:32 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

The only issue I can think of is if that navy blue is going to be the Spy27 color then making a sprint in the same color and steel as the rest of them might be confusing. I can't imagine Spy27 will only ever be offered in blue though. I'm just looking for ways to make it happen.
Did they actually say that about "Sprint Runs" too?? I would think that Sprint Runs would have their own set of rules and guidelines??
And I too am Looking For Ways To Make It Happen as well. We've got Sal's attention and that's probably the biggest hurdle there is in front of us.
I would actually like some other color than basic black>> but if basic black will help make it happen then it is what it is. But whatever hoops we have to jump through it will be worth a new C-60 Ayoob model :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:54 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:32 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Did they actually say that about "Sprint Runs" too?? I would think that Sprint Runs would have their own set of rules and guidelines??
And I too am Looking For Ways To Make It Happen as well. We've got Sal's attention and that's probably the biggest hurdle there is in front of us.
I would actually like some other color than basic black>> but if basic black will help make it happen then it is what it is. But whatever hoops we have to jump through it will be worth a new C-60 Ayoob model :cool:

I was referring to all the Spy27 models coming out, I thought I read that it's going to be a proprietary steel for Spyderco so I would think it'll see widespread use, even to the point of replacing S30V as the standard production steel. If/when that happens I would think the handle colors will switch black to basic black G10/FRN, I wouldn't think all future standard production Spyderco's will be done in that blue color.
~David
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Are we still talking about G10? This is a Japanese model and with G10 this is going to be $350 or more, and with VG10 I don’t know if this will move at that price. If the steel was upgraded it might make this more enticing to people outside this forum to pay the premium for Japanese G10.

My vote would be get some AEB-L in their hands and make everyone WANT to try SE AEB-L in the C-60. Of course Burgundy G10!
Last edited by Dazen on Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:49 am
Are we still talking about G10? This is a Japanese model and with G10 this is going to be $350 or more, and with VG10 I don’t know if this will move at that price. If the steel was upgraded it might make this more enticing to people outside this forum to pay the premium for Japanese G10.

My vote would be get some AEB-L in there hands and make everyone WANT to try SE AEB-L in the C-60. Of course Burgundy G10!
That was my thinking behind Spy27, we haven't seen it in SE yet, though Sal did say it'll definitely be offered. I do think you're right, there needs to be some kind of draw to this sprint beyond just being "another one". I think the last sprint didn't fly off shelves because it was "just VG10" and as much as it sounds reasonable to say that VG10 will make it easier for Spyderco to produce, that may also be what makes it not sell well.

I'll go on record right now and say if they make this sprint in any decent steel (preferably not S30V) with SE and the street price is less than $200 I'll buy two of them regardless of what handle color. I'll even prepay. There...the gauntlet is dropped.
~David
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

The problem is outside of VG10, H1, and S30V we don’t know what will be the best steel out of Japan with a SE. We don’t much know about SPY27 or AEB-L in SE either, just speculation.
Last edited by Dazen on Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Just popping in to say lc200n in plain and serrated with any color g-10 would be nice :)
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Dazen wrote: Are we still talking about G10? This is a Japanese model and with G10 this is going to be $350 or more, and with VG10 I don’t know if this will move at that price. If the steel was upgraded it might make this more enticing to people outside this forum to pay the premium for Japanese G10.

My vote would be get some AEB-L in their hands and make everyone WANT to try SE AEB-L in the C-60. Of course Burgundy G10!
Are you talking msrp? Because almost all the g10 japanese spydercos I can think of are around the 180 to 220 dollar street price range. Regardless of vg10 or s30v.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."