Your suggestions please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rabbitanarchy14

Re: Your suggestions please

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

lil native compression lock rex 45
cat in bd1n
techno 2

all about the same size. easy to carry and use.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not know how your dexterity is in your hands but I have a Dragonfly LW and a Ladybug Salt Hawkbill that I keep on me during my hospital visits. I keep one in my pajamas always at the hospital and even at home in case I have to be suddenly taken to the hospital.

Aside from those, I’m afraid I’m boringly pragmatic. A Delica of some sort rounds things out nicely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

If you don't mind going slightly under a 2" blade, the Spin has exceptional ergonomics for a two finger knife. I'm usually not partial to frame locks, but it suits this design well. Take off the clip and it's so thin you won't even know it's there.
:unicorn
archangel

Post by archangel »

One of them could be a ClipItool scissors. Purpose is in the name. The largest could be a Para 3. For the medium size I‘d suggest a clipless model - maybe the Roadie?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if i were going for three small knives, i'd want them all to be different from each other. i think i'd go with something like this:

para 3 (dlc/g10) - slightly harder use folder at the top end of your size requirement
salt 2 wharncliffe (se) - good all around work knife that is low maintenance and great for a utility blade, plus it gives you the ability to carry a serrated knife for specific tasks
ladybug (k390) - something small that you can get away with smuggling in on your keychain, but with a special steel to give it extra nerd appeal and edge holding

with these three, you could carry them all without too much overlap in function or just choose two at a time and still be ready for just about anything you might need an edc blade to handle.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I took my own advice and ordered a Baby Horn.
I just couldn't help myself!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
benben

Post by benben »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:24 am
I do not know how your dexterity is in your hands but I have a Dragonfly LW and a Ladybug Salt Hawkbill that I keep on me during my hospital visits. I keep one in my pajamas always at the hospital and even at home in case I have to be suddenly taken to the hospital.

Aside from those, I’m afraid I’m boringly pragmatic. A Delica of some sort rounds things out nicely.
I'm with Doc here on the Delica, I've been on a kick lately with just buying Golden made knives, or trying to find older discontinued knives. On vacation a couple months back, bought a saber grind Delica at SMKW, can't tell you just how much I'm enjoying it! Excellent for work, tough, weighs nothing, fairly inexpensive, and begs to be used. I know this is a FFG crowd here, mainly, but it's a great little knife and I love that saber grind!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Lil Native, backlock or compression, dealer's choice..

Cricket.. perhaps the greatest blisterpack-opening tool there is, it always comes in handy around Christmas time!

Brouwer.. if you can get past the clip placement (MXG deep carry helps immensely), this is one of the most deceptively ergonomic Spydies that I've ever handled, with a much appreciated utilitarian aesthetic.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I always carry Lil’ Lum in my Hitch & Timber Runt along with a flashlight and small Leatherman tool. I have a Chaparral which is still on probation. I remember how much I liked my Rhino and think now that the “trouble” I had adapting to the blade was mostly me. I plan to get another and educate myself.

For me, the time of the Delicas has passed. Technologically the Delica has been superseded by the likes of the Para 3 LW. Better build, more sophisticated operating components, nicer handle, wire clip, interesting blade steel.

My mid-size knife will be a Para 3 LW.

I am still interested in why some people like the Brouwer so much.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
benben

Post by benben »

I know exactly what you mean about the Delica's time has passed.....it had for me too, I haven't bought or used one in years! Having said that, I like using this new saber grind Delica wayyy more than my Cru-wear Para 3, but that's just me.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:35 am
I always carry Lil’ Lum in my Hitch & Timber Runt along with a flashlight and small Leatherman tool. I have a Chaparral which is still on probation. I remember how much I liked my Rhino and think now that the “trouble” I had adapting to the blade was mostly me. I plan to get another and educate myself.

For me, the time of the Delicas has passed. Technologically the Delica has been superseded by the likes of the Para 3 LW. Better build, more sophisticated operating components, nicer handle, wire clip, interesting blade steel.

The Brouwer is a fairly recent acquisition for me. It had been on my list for quite a while, but because of the price point I hesitated (like many people, I think). So I saved up a bunch of rewards points and bought it for a hefty discount. I am so glad I did, because it's a very nice little knife. I personally love having one g10 scale and one titanium scale (for better grip), the size is small but still quite useful for edc and easily still a 4-finger grip for most hands with the choil, it's a sleek design that feels great in my hand, the lockbar is very easy to access with the generous cutout (and I'm super picky about framelocks for this reason), and the clip position is much better now than on the original release. Bonus: I really love this shade of green.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

MichaelScott wrote:

That's a matter of perception, not one of reality. I guess that's one definition of "opinion", lol. Even though I like the US made Para3, I strongly prefer the Delica for use due to the back lock and handle shape.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:58 am
MichaelScott wrote:

The Brouwer is a fairly recent acquisition for me. It had been on my list for quite a while, but because of the price point I hesitated (like many people, I think). So I saved up a bunch of rewards points and bought it for a hefty discount. I am so glad I did, because it's a very nice little knife. I personally love having one g10 scale and one titanium scale (for better grip), the size is small but still quite useful for edc and easily still a 4-finger grip for most hands with the choil, it's a sleek design that feels great in my hand, the lockbar is very easy to access with the generous cutout (and I'm super picky about framelocks for this reason), and the clip position is much better now than on the original release. Bonus: I really love this shade of green.
Thanks for the description and photos. Yes, it is smaller than I thought, which I think is a good thing. Also, I like the blade shape. Seems pretty agnostic and suitable for most folder/pocket knife tasks.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
benben

Post by benben »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:58 am
MichaelScott wrote:

Great looking little folder, doing a little research right now!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Given your demanding situation I would try to find an older Caly Jr. model. To me it was about the best model I ever had that I could utilize with just one hand. Also every Caly Jr. I ever had regardless of which blade steel would all cut like a straight razor.

Also I've been told by a lot of people that the Meerkat is very versatile for it's size. In my own personal experience I've found that Spyderco's Dodo model to be the very best short bladed folder I've ever used.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I would look for a Pingo.
Small but sturdy and not knifey when in public. Probably the most commented on knife by public when I have used it.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would never, ever choose a P3 over a Delica. The Delica is a far better slicer and weighs little, and it is slender. It has a better lock, in my opinion, and is fully ambidextrous. All of these things the P3 is not. The only knife that might see a bump to the Delica is the Rockjumper. It is soon to be released with a Wharncliffe blade and later there will be a leaf blade. It has all of the goodies of the Delica and more cutting edge.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hey Michael,

I have a lot of respect for you and any person who is working to stay positive and find joy in the face of adversity. My questions for you; Do you have 6ft of yard space and some grass? Do you have some help or a caregiver at home who can help you pick things up? In my opinion, if a person can hold a knife, they throw a knife.

Don't get me wrong, most knife throwing is sillier than self defence with a knife or filling a canyon with cut cardboard. My ideal use of a thrower goes like, take the garbage out thwack-thwack-thwack, empty the lawnmower bag thump-thump-thump, I have axes too. I rarely spent more than 10min throwing.

For you I would like to suggest some Spyder Throwers and a nice little target between the house and your transition to the car. While you roll out to an appointment thwack-thwack-thwack, when you come home ping-ting-thwack. May take practice to get 3 in a row. If 2 friends come by and you do 10 minutes each, then 1/2hr goes buy with out talking politics or next level steel. The physicality is good and fun too if one can do it.

I like to do a little process of envisioning the target as what ever is bothering me in a day and then working to overcome that with the pointy end and a good thwack. I find the sound of throwing knifes to be very satisfactory and I like the pinging sound of a miss too. Throwers are a knife game with so many facets. Not unlike horseshoes, yet throwers are more focused and less luck. It sticks or it does not stick. A game that is always on the edge.

I also understand my opinion is general and many people work hard to reach and hold and still can not throw.

Sincerely, and best of health to you.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
foofie

Post by foofie »

A different possible approach - choose based on blade shape in addition to size?
You mentioned the trailing point of the Rhino - so perhaps choose a wharncliffe, a leaf, and something in between?
I would consider a manbug salt/sheepsfoot
Dragonfly (k390 just around the corner...)
maybe a hawkbill (opposite of the trailing point)?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Having lost my Rhino during one if my big knife sell-offs, I ordered another this morning. Michael did a superlative job designing this knife. Fits my requirements for a small folder with much more to appreciate. This one is really not one you can appreciate by reviews and videos. You have to have it in hand before the genius of the design is fully realized.

Team Innovation