What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:43 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:45 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:28 pm
The Ulize is an odd looking knife that I think a lot of people passed on based on looks, but they're actually amazing ergonomically and very strong performers.

Caribbean, just because it's the best knife available right now. There's a chance I might be biased on this one.
Those are some awesome knives.

No bias, the Caribbean is the best knife currently made by Spyderco.

The Ulize is a surprisingly excellent knife. It shouldn't be, but it is.
Caribbean...in SE or PE, leaf blade or sheepsfoot? Or are they all in that "best knife" category? It's been on my "someday" list for a while, but which one to get??
It's more the whole package. As a design it is just awesome, regardless of blade shape.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JuPaul wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:45 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:28 pm
The Ulize is an odd looking knife that I think a lot of people passed on based on looks, but they're actually amazing ergonomically and very strong performers.

Caribbean, just because it's the best knife available right now. There's a chance I might be biased on this one.
Those are some awesome knives.

No bias, the Caribbean is the best knife currently made by Spyderco.

The Ulize is a surprisingly excellent knife. It shouldn't be, but it is.
Caribbean...in SE or PE, leaf blade or sheepsfoot? Or are they all in that "best knife" category? It's been on my "someday" list for a while, but which one to get??

I prefer less belly on my blades so I like the sheepsfoot, I also find straighter blades easier to sharpen. I'm firmly in the SE camp.

I modded mine to have a more wharnie style clip.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JuPaul wrote:
I considered those same options for quite a while, and ended up deciding PE Leaf, and SE Sheepsfoot were the options that appealed to me.

I thinned out the PE leaf blade Caribbean a fair bit behind the edge for a good slicer with a bit of blade belly.

I thought the SE would complement the power of the straighter edge and point area of the sheepsfoot. When I get a SE sheepsfoot, I intend to grind down the tip area to a pointier profile like Evil D’s. It’ll get a dye job too.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:20 pm
JuPaul wrote:
I considered those same options for quite a while, and ended up deciding PE Leaf, and SE Sheepsfoot were the options that appealed to me.

I thinned out the PE leaf blade Caribbean a fair bit behind the edge for a good slicer with a bit of blade belly.

I thought the SE would complement the power of the straighter edge and point area of the sheepsfoot. When I get a SE sheepsfoot, I intend to grind down the tip area to a pointier profile like Evil D’s. It’ll get a dye job too.
I'm with you on those choices, I think. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, the PE leaf blade appeals to me most, but I have a feeling the SE sheepsfoot is the real sleeper gem in terms of functionality.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Brouwer
Monty

Post by Monty »

The SE Caribbean and the SE Pac Salt are the two I carry almost exclusively right now. I even sold my Crucarta as it was getting no pocket time. If the Caribbean was a backlock so I could carry it IWB with peace of mind, it could be my only pocket knife.

I don't think the Salt line gets the attention they deserve because some people only look at Salt knives as necessary for use around water. How many times have you heard someone say they're thinking of getting a Salt for a trip to the beach on one of the forums? Aside from all other qualities that make these two knives fantastic- it's a blade that doesn't rust, that should be valuable anywhere (unless you just love maintaining your knives).
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

100 Pacer! It's awesome knife. Not until I held it in person did I realize how awesome. Definitely worth it for me.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:07 pm
I'm with you on those choices, I think. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, the PE leaf blade appeals to me most, but I have a feeling the SE sheepsfoot is the real sleeper gem in terms of functionality.
I think you’re right. From memory, the SE version CATRA tested at 3.8 times the edge retention of the PE. I’d say my PE Caribbean seems to have similar edge retention to 8Cr13MoV or the AEB-L Urban.

While the bumblebee scales are no doubt very useful for maximising the knife’s visibility underwater, I think they were a bit too much for many prospective users. No doubt there will eventually be blacked out versions for military use, at least regarding the handles, and I’m sure they’ll be more popular.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Hundred pacer hands down. Absolutely love that thing. Honorable mentions would be the flat spine stretch and the alcyone.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

So I got a Pattada and it is absolutely an underrated spyderco sleeper.

Its funny, I actually didnt like it at first, but then ended up really liking it.

Its like a military and kapara mixed into one, and then given a completely nuetral handle.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Red

Post by Red »

0BBBEEA7-1CFD-483A-AC0D-BF4F9C9BCBF3.jpeg
For me its gotta be the Resilience, such a fun knife for not alot of money. I have had 2 for over 6 years and live in a saltwater environment and neither blade has rusted. They are razor sharp, like 5” razor blades. I just love them.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Rhino.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Resilience. A true sleeper with tons of ability. I have knives in the 2-$300 range where in many situations I would choose the resilience . A very good knife.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Judging by threads during my time here coupled to the Spydies I have come to own, I would have said the Caribbean, and before it, the Superleaf, but now it’s the utterly superb Native Chief.

The Chief’s fanfare got stolen, I think, first by the unexpected (and rightly popular) Shaman, then by the doubters of G10 linerlessness (not to forget the other models dropping and distracting attention). And no doubt some here were already put off by its length.

I hope upcoming sprints win it more followers.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:00 pm
Hundred pacer hands down. Absolutely love that thing. Honorable mentions would be the flat spine stretch and the alcyone.
I don't have one, but I also like the Hundred Pacer! That one got away....

The Stuart Ackerman Sustain is Spyderco's "sleep knife." I want another one or two at least. It's as good as any custom fighting knife....very fast on the hand fixed blade, full blank, 6+ inches of 20CV blade.

I have an $800 custom dagger, and it feels the same in the hand. Excellent balance.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spin

It's one of the best tiny Spydercos, IMO miles more ergonomic than the Ladybug. Carries very well clipless due to how thin and flat it sits in the pocket. Ironic that a resident big knives only guy owns one of the original spider web runs :)

Police 3

This is one of those knives I decided I would own the first time I saw prototype pictures from the Amsterdam meet. I felt it had very little forum presence, here and other knife / edc message boards. The K390 made more people notice the Police 4, which seems a lot more popular here. When this came out I felt it was the best lockback to ever be made. Haven't carried a Buck 110 since I purchased the Police 3 the week they came out.

Centofante 4

The Centofante has a lot going for it. Feather light, wonderful ergonomics that fit any hand size, economic pricing and 2mm blade stock. I was part of a Krein regrind pass-around and I remember it came with a hair whittling sharp edge sharpened on a 400 grit belt by Mr. Krein if I remember correctly. It was hands down one of the highest performance edges I have ever tried to this day.

--------------

If they made a lockback caribbean I could see it being my favorite knife. Edge all the way to the handle, SE and PE, excellent ergonomics and of course it's a salt.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are two past models that I liked that were not popular. One being the older SPUR model from the late 90s and the other being the serrated version of the Caly JR. Both were great models and both I considered "sleepers" because neither one ever did much on the sales charts unfortunately.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I think the "R" was such a cool knife, and I wish it would make a comeback. Among the models I own, I would have to say the Goddard.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Moran- seriously under rated: Sal, please give the Moran the updated steel that it needs. 20CV, K390
Caly 3
The Mule, a great all around fixed blade
kingston73

Post by kingston73 »

I don’t know if it’s a sleeper but I’ve always thought the ppt was underrated