Unpopular opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: Unpopular opinions

Post by Tucson Tom »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:24 am
My most unpopular opinion.. brace yourselves now..

People who carry knives daily, but only cut apples and open letters are "users" too! There, I said it!

I’ve had a knife in my pocket every day for over a decade. In a given day, I may open mail/packages, cut up an apple at work, cut a loose thread off of clothing, maybe cut some rope here and there, or perform any one of a dozen similar tasks for which a knife is a sufficiently handy tool. If I need to perform a “harder use” task than any of those.. well, I probably have a tool designed specifically for it..

Generally, I understand that this hobby is pretty subjective.. people like what they like and I'm a-okay with that. If you want to spend 17 hours a week filming yourself cutting 3274 ft of cardboard and chopping down small trees in your backyard with your pocket knife, that's fine by me.. have at it! ****, I’ll even admit that it's pretty cool to watch sometimes and that the data collected can be really interesting.

Where I'm rubbed the wrong way though, is when these people adopt an attitude that they are somehow superior to less intensive users because of their own perceived “hard use.” Could I cut every cardboard box that I see into 217 pieces with my PM2? Sure. But why? I have no reason to. If I want to “break down” a box, I use my knife to cut the tape at the opening and .. wait for it.. fold the box in half! It lays just as flat… shocking, I know! Why does my ability to resist the urge to unnecessarily dice the box into a zillion pieces with my pocket knife make me any less of a “user?” Could I take my Shaman out into the woods and chop down 17 medium sized tree limbs with it? Yeah, probably. But I can think of five or six tools off the top of my head that would be better choices for the job..

You see where I’m going with this? In a pinch, I’m sure I could use my knife pretty reliably to perform any number of hard use tasks.. ****, I admit, I’ve abused a knife or two in my day working construction/landscaping jobs.. but typically.. why would I risk my edge or my knife when there are more appropriate tools that are literally designed to perform these jobs? Hello.. Boxcutter.. the intended task is the name of the tool.. what, that's crazy!?!

I guess my point here is that I don’t really care how people use their knives. I am bothered when people start to look down on others for how they use (or don't use) theirs. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who carries a knife and uses it in any way, no matter how “insignificant” the task, is a “user.” We’re all here because we enjoy knives and we should all be able to enjoy knives in our own way. Hahah, end of rant.

;)
This is so right on. Thanks!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:49 am
Hi Aicolainen,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you, Sal!!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:24 am
My most unpopular opinion.. brace yourselves now..

People who carry knives daily, but only cut apples and open letters are "users" too! There, I said it!

I’ve had a knife in my pocket every day for over a decade. In a given day, I may open mail/packages, cut up an apple at work, cut a loose thread off of clothing, maybe cut some rope here and there, or perform any one of a dozen similar tasks for which a knife is a sufficiently handy tool. If I need to perform a “harder use” task than any of those.. well, I probably have a tool designed specifically for it..

Generally, I understand that this hobby is pretty subjective.. people like what they like and I'm a-okay with that. If you want to spend 17 hours a week filming yourself cutting 3274 ft of cardboard and chopping down small trees in your backyard with your pocket knife, that's fine by me.. have at it! ****, I’ll even admit that it's pretty cool to watch sometimes and that the data collected can be really interesting.

Where I'm rubbed the wrong way though, is when these people adopt an attitude that they are somehow superior to less intensive users because of their own perceived “hard use.” Could I cut every cardboard box that I see into 217 pieces with my PM2? Sure. But why? I have no reason to. If I want to “break down” a box, I use my knife to cut the tape at the opening and .. wait for it.. fold the box in half! It lays just as flat… shocking, I know! Why does my ability to resist the urge to unnecessarily dice the box into a zillion pieces with my pocket knife make me any less of a “user?” Could I take my Shaman out into the woods and chop down 17 medium sized tree limbs with it? Yeah, probably. But I can think of five or six tools off the top of my head that would be better choices for the job..

You see where I’m going with this? In a pinch, I’m sure I could use my knife pretty reliably to perform any number of hard use tasks.. ****, I admit, I’ve abused a knife or two in my day working construction/landscaping jobs.. but typically.. why would I risk my edge or my knife when there are more appropriate tools that are literally designed to perform these jobs? Hello.. Boxcutter.. the intended task is the name of the tool.. what, that's crazy!?!

I guess my point here is that I don’t really care how people use their knives. I am bothered when people start to look down on others for how they use (or don't use) theirs. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who carries a knife and uses it in any way, no matter how “insignificant” the task, is a “user.” We’re all here because we enjoy knives and we should all be able to enjoy knives in our own way. Hahah, end of rant.

;)
This is so right on. Thanks!
Then there’s the other extreme.... those that use their knife for everything, eg: scraping twisting prying etc.
They/we catch a lot of flack too.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Me reading this thread:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

PStone wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:15 am
Me reading this thread:
Hahaha! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Need to add another to my earlier list.

Guided sharpening systems are a complication that takes the zen out of edge-maintenance and -repair; the Sharpmaker is a wonder, but I prefer using freehand abrasives and exploring Spyderco’s other excellent offerings.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

You can't get a good feel for how a knife steel behaves without using it enough to need to sharpen it multiple times.

You can't get a really good feel for how a knife steel behaves without experimenting with edge angles.

You can't get an extremely good feel for how a knife steel behaves without doing the above on multiple blades, ideally with varying geometry.
:unicorn
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I like many knives but wish the blade steel was something else. The Bow River is something I could use but I'd like a better steel option. The Tenacious and Resilience again are a great design but need a better steel option. For the same reason I don't buy the high carbon steels that rust if you look at them sideways. That corrosion on the outside is a lot worse on the inside.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:55 am
You can't get a good feel for how a knife steel behaves without using it enough to need to sharpen it multiple times.

You can't get a really good feel for how a knife steel behaves without experimenting with edge angles.

You can't get an extremely good feel for how a knife steel behaves without doing the above on multiple blades, ideally with varying geometry.

I agree completely with that.

I would add in edge finishes to that also.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

PStone wrote:
Me reading this thread:
Mostly 5, 6, and 10! :D
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PStone

Post by PStone »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:32 pm
PStone wrote:
Me reading this thread:
Mostly 5, 6, and 10! :D
Haha! It almost syncs up with page numbers too.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm
vivi wrote:

I've finally come around to understand this and it has made owning a using these great steels far more enjoyable. Makes me also appreciate just how much goes into every knife I own.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:44 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm
vivi wrote:

I've finally come around to understand this and it has made owning a using these great steels far more enjoyable. Makes me also appreciate just how much goes into every knife I own.

Absolutely, one just can't really appreciate the knives and especially the steels if they never really use them for much of anything.
Higher

Post by Higher »

We all sat in a circle and took turns saying: "Hello, my name is so-and-so and I am knifeholic". Strange, but we do not feel like strangers among these people. And we didn't come here to fight ourselves.

Like the author of this you, I also have a long time with Spyderco knives. More than 10 years. I always read on the forum and rarely write.

"Unpopular opinions". What to say? We became unpopular with others after choosing these knives with holes. These knives are of unusual shapes. Others look at these knives and say: "This is strange, the knife should not look like this."
I answer them "the knife has the right". (translation difficulties are possible) People are full of stereotypes. I might be rude, but don't misunderstand. Some people say, "It's a matter of taste." I will answer: "No, taste can be developed." If you surround yourself with wonderful products, beauty, so that our eyes rejoice. Then the craving for beauty will come to us. That's when we start choosing these knives. That's when we choose Spyderco knives with you.
If this photo is deemed obscene (?) I can delete it. I'm talking about a photo with a knife :D
*Image Removed - A little too racy for our forum. - TazKristi*

"unpopular opinions". Yes, I myself used to be full of stereotypes. But it's good that there are people like you who helped me change. I didn't understand the serrator before. Many years ago I thought: "how so? What is this? wtf? Does it have to be on the knife? What for?". Then I tried it, I liked it, and my life changed. And when I learned to sharpen it I was delighted.

"unpopular opinions". What's with the size? But nothing. It's okay. Yes, the knife can be small. For me it was strange before. And it remains strange for other people now. When am I in the forest to sharpen a spear with a knife? I do not remember. Perhaps never. That's when I might need a big knife. But no. Other people see my little knives and are surprised. But they are comfortable. They are convenient for most jobs.

"unpopular opinions". The less extra weight on you, the better. The weight in the pockets pulls the pants down. Why is this if you can carry a light knife. It's comfortable. Just **** convenient. I will not take a heavy knife with me if it is possible to take a knife easier. Sal even grinded off his keys. I saw this somewhere in an interview. Maybe I should do that too?

"unpopular opinions".
"Why do you need so many knives? They are all the same" I hear this often. I say, "they are all. Different."
When you and I plunge into some topic, we begin to learn a lot for ourselves. An inquisitive mind. How much do we learn about steel, materials, history, and more? Lot. This gives us the opportunity to acquire new knowledge and develop. It seems to me that this is good. We are not standing still. We are moving forward and developing. Is it unpopular?

"unpopular opinions".
I am very unpopular in what I cut with a knife. I am strange in that I do not unscrew the screws with them, do not lift the manhole cover, do not open a tin can, do not try to make a hole in the wall. I have another tool for these tasks. The knife should cut. I think so. Yes, sometimes you have no choice or you can't hesitate. But these are exceptional cases and they are rare.

-----
There, I said it:)
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Here’s an unpopular opinion:

As users, I like some models in Spyderco’s Seki-made line every bit as much as my favorite models in their Golden-made line.

Jim
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

James Y wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:00 am
Here’s an unpopular opinion:

As users, I like some models in Spyderco’s Seki-made line every bit as much as my favorite models in their Golden-made line.

Jim

My opinion must be even more unpopular then because I like the Seki designs BETTER than the Golden designs. The quality on both are amazing, but the Seki FRN models are my favorite.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

High Higher,

Nice post. Thanx. We stand on the shoulders of others so we can see farther.

sal
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Higher wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:18 pm

If this photo is deemed obscene (?) I can delete it.
Well, considering it shows a nipple because of her see-thru top.... pretty sure nudity isn't allowed
Higher

Post by Higher »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:18 pm
High Higher,
Nice post. Thanx. We stand on the shoulders of others so we can see farther.
Sal
Thanks Sal,
Thanks to the whole team,
Thanks to all users and collectors.

Spyderco knives are changing us. They change our thinking for the better. And we bring this positive to others, we try to do better.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Blaine in the Rock

Post by Blaine in the Rock »

So I'm gonna resurrect this zombie thread. Too much good stuff in here to be dying in the archives.

Expensive lube is often a waste. I use this little dropper of mineral oil I got free with some hair clippers. It works PERFECTLY.

The Dragonfly is a keychain knife. At least for someone my size.

Titanium sounds way more awesome than it actually is.

I rarely use pocket clips and sometimes remove them entirely. I like to let the knife chill in the bottom of my pocket.

I like mall ninja crap. I don't own any, but I like it.

It drives me crazy to own things I don't use, or to have too many things that overlap in usefulness, so collecting is out of the question for me. I just need a great knife in each category. If a better tool comes along, the old one has to go.
Last edited by Blaine in the Rock on Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.