Your suggestions please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Your suggestions please

Post by MichaelScott »

I would greatly appreciate suggestions of Spyderco folders for the following circumstances.

I am an old cancer patient. When I go anywhere it would be in a wheelchair or fancy walker — this is most often to my oncologist clinic in Denver for chemo every three weeks, a 2.5 hr drive. Mostly I’m at home. COVID is especially bad for me.

Anyway, given this, what would be your suggestions for three different Spydercos, each designed for different low-level tasks that would be in the medium to small range, say 2.0” to 3.0” blade length. That way it would be no problem to carry two. I have my ideas but I would like some input from my Spyderco community too.

Thank you if you decide to reply.

Michael
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JRinFL

Re: Your suggestions please

Post by JRinFL »

For me it would be Ladybug, D'fly, and Delica. Alternate: Cricket, Rhino, and Techno.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You've already had the Chaparral, Dragonfly and Rhino haven't you Michael? Would you be opposed to going back to models you've already tried?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m stretching your brief, here, I know...

1. Baliyo. The ultimate fidget toy imho that isn’t easy to master. Idea for waiting rooms waiting for your either your treatment or your muse, as it’s obviously also a pen.

2. Clipitool. Bottle opener. ‘Nuff said.

3. Kapara. Long enough for most fresh fruit, which is mostly reputed to be good for you.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dragonfly, Delica, and Chap LW. You have a lot of options for colors, steels, edges, and blade shapes on the first two.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Get a Baby Horn, while they are still around.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

One of them should be any sprint/exclusive/special native.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

An interesting triad of small but excellent knives would be: a serrated hawkbill dragonfly salt, a Brouwer, and a Rhino. Each very different in design and application.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Dare I ask, Michael, why tasks are the driving force in your quest?

You’ve always struck me as an explorer of ideas, which Glesser-designs and -collabs decidedly are.

Any of their designs/collabs can get a job done. But why was this Spydie’s thing emphasized over that? Sal has actually invited us to ponder such things, to relive the art’s imagining.

Being not far behind you agewise, I woolgather a lot, to get at the essence of things. I usually have a Spydie in hand as an aid, but sometimes the Spydie interrupts and asks me why it is the way it is, as my Siren has just done...

Wildly different Spydies might prove entertaining to you, especially on a long drive to or from Denver (where a great-grandfather of mine died in 1889).
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

It's hard for me to pick out knives for someone knowing how we all have our preferences. I do think the suggestion of the Baby Horn sprint is a good one, especially for someone who likes smaller slip-joints. Yes, I know it has a lock but it's similar in size and shape to a lot of slippies. The Swayback is also a fine piece but it may be a little bigger than you want. It's also expensive.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nishijin Cricket
Astute
SpyOpera
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Baby Horn
Centofante Memory
One Eyed Jack
Lil Nillaka
Brouwer
Des Horn

Plus the usual suspects: Dragonfly, Chaparral
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

I'm not sure what's already in your collection but you cant go wrong with the classics such as the Lil Native and/or Dragonfly. If you want a little bigger, definitely the Native 5 or Delica
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

If your up for a hunt, I say a gayle Bradley air
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
jdw

Post by jdw »

Cat-- It's a great all round knife. I have carried one for years and I still enjoy using it. I also have thought of buying a new version just to try BD1N.
Hawkbill D-fly-- It is good for cutting almost everything but a sandwich.
Lil Nilakka-- You will probably have to overpay for one but it's a knife that I will likely overpay for to own again.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Caly Jr (they can still be found for very reasonable prices on the secondary markey)

Caly 3 (same as above)

Pakkawood Dragonfly
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

jdw wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:32 pm
Cat-- It's a great all round knife. I have carried one for years and I still enjoy using it. I also have thought of buying a new version just to try BD1N.
Hawkbill D-fly-- It is good for cutting almost everything but a sandwich.
Lil Nilakka-- You will probably have to overpay for one but it's a knife that I will likely overpay for to own again.
I'm going to second the Cat and Dragonfly Hawkbill suggestions! On top of those two, I would suggest the Chaparral.

The Cat is a very underrated and very capable knife. It's a really convenient size and feels good in hand. The liner lock is easy to engage and the lack of jimping is a nice touch to help avoid unnecessary hotspots. I would actually suggest that everyone try a Cat! :cool:

The Dragonfly Hawkbill carries nice and light and is a good choice for when you just need to GSD. (Get S*** Done) No need to worry about the blade slipping.

The Chaparral is a great alternative for when you want something a little bit fancier but also incredibly functional.
-Nick :bug-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks every for your opinions.

To answer a few questions, yes I like odd-ball designs.

Rhino. Has the best ergonomics of any small knife I have used. I just haven’t been able to adjust to the long upswept blade. There is probably something here that I’m not understanding. Beautiful knife and I can certainly see getting another.

Chaparral. Never got on with the LW version. Maybe handle too thin? But I recently got a Raffir Noble and that problem was solved.

I see the Brouwer came up a couple of times. Haven’t heard much about it after it’s introduction. Like to know more now.

The Dragonfly Wharncliffe interests me. I could carry it along with whichever other I wanted and have a small SE blade for those tasks that are better suited to SE.

Lil’ Nilakkas. Drooled over this one for a while. Hard to find and boy, are they expensive. Love to get one some day. Just have to be patient.

Nishijin Cricket. Lovely knife. I’ve been scoping the after market sites for a reasonably priced one.

wrdwrght wrote, “ Dare I ask, Michael, why tasks are the driving force in your quest?”
Well, I suppose I misspoke. I think it is really knife design and the designer’s intention that is at play. It is obvious now, after having written my original post on this that I am foolish to attempt to overly constrain the number of knives I have. Some limit is necessary but room must be left for variety and art.

I look at my Lil’ Lum Nishijin and my Chaparral Raffir Noble and think, what amazing and radically different designs they are and how each functions to combine esthetic beauty with exacting functionality.

The efficiency is easy to quantify but aesthetically, it’s a personal thing to be sure.

Finally, I think my quest is a fun and learning part of being a knife nut. Just have to go with it.

Thanks again, all.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’m a little late to the party, but here are a few other suggestions for your consideration (in no particular order). Some have already been mentioned, but here we go:

1. Balance
2. Lava
3. Leafstorm
4. Cricket
5. Air
6. Meerkat
7. Dyad JR
8. Dodo
9. Polliwog
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Mr Scott, I wish you nothing but the best of health, and hope you kick cancer's tail to the curb.

I'm not big on small folders, so if it came down to me, the folding knife that I would recommend to you would be the S30V or S90V Native Chief.

If it was to be a fixed blade...put some spring back in to those steps and get a pair of Spyderco Gayle Bradley Nightstick Boot Knife 4.14" CPM-S30V Satin Single Edge Blade, Black G10 Handles, Boltaron Sheath with G-Clip - FB47GP ($210 at Knife Center). I like it and think I'll get two myself!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/