Will we ever get a FFG hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

Will we ever get a FFG hawkbill?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Unless I'm mistaken Spyderco doesn't have anything like this, maybe the P'Kal but I wouldn't call that a hawkbill. I think they're all hollow grind!

I know I've voiced my desire for a FFG Spyderhawk in SE LC200N Sprint or even VG10 or S30V and I'd instantly purchase one or more...Shoot, FFG SE Spyderhawk SPY27 or SRS-13 might make me lose my mind...

well, what's left of it ;)

Anyone agree with me or have a better idea? Where's the hawkbilled love?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
The Meat man

Re: Will we ever get a FFG hawkbill?

Post by The Meat man »

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:48 am
Unless I'm mistaken Spyderco doesn't have anything like this, maybe the P'Kal but I wouldn't call that a hawkbill. I think they're all hollow grind!

I know I've voiced my desire for a FFG Spyderhawk in SE LC200N Sprint or even VG10 or S30V and I'd instantly purchase one or more...Shoot, FFG SE Spyderhawk SPY27 or SRS-13 might make me lose my mind...

well, what's left of it ;)

Anyone agree with me or have a better idea? Where's the hawkbilled love?

Yes, and this should be a production model in my opinion. I'd vote for some bright neon orange or pink scales to stand out against grass as I find the Spyderhawk to be a fantastic landscaping knife. I agree that FFG would make it even better than the recent Spyderhawk sprint.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JMM

Post by JMM »

So... something like the SuperHawk? It's a wonderful knife.

I'm all about it, especially if it were to be done in a tool steel like 4V, Rex45, K390, or CruWear... with both PE & SE versions, and dare to dream DLC & Satin options...

[Edit: Add: for sure a LC200N option would make sense too, I just have a thing for tool steels]

Cheers,

John
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I'm guessing its probably difficult to grind a hawkbill fully flat while retaining a strong tip. On a hollow grind that follows the edge at least you get the same profile throughout the blade.
/ David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Superhawk was a terrific knife and had the curve been deeper, I would prefer it to my Spyderhawk. That being said, many of the reverse-s knives have been done in FFG so I don't think the limiting factor is the manufacturing. Sales are unfortunately what tend to drive obscure and unconventional designs. When it comes to the masses, hawkbills and recurves or reverse-s patterns are a definite minority. That said, I'd buy another hawkbill whenever Sal wants to make one.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:59 am
So... something like the SuperHawk? It's a wonderful knife.

I'm all about it, especially if it were to be done in a tool steel like 4V, Rex45, K390, or CruWear... with both PE & SE versions, and dare to dream DLC & Satin options...

[Edit: Add: for sure a LC200N option would make sense too, I just have a thing for tool steels]

Cheers,

John
Yeah I forgot all about the SUPERHAWK model having a Full Flat Grind. Had Spyderco made that model in SE it would still be in the main lineup>> and I'm certain that would be the case.

Just look at all the other Hawkbill models and compare how many units have sold in PE versus SE. It's not even remotely close. I'm sure it's probably 85% SE to 15% PE>> and that's a conservative estimate.

I've been wanting to see a high end, high caliber Hawkbill blade like a SPYDERHAWK with FFG blade and a G-10 handle>> that would be my fantasy wish.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:51 am
The Superhawk was a terrific knife and had the curve been deeper, I would prefer it to my Spyderhawk. That being said, many of the reverse-s knives have been done in FFG so I don't think the limiting factor is the manufacturing. Sales are unfortunately what tend to drive obscure and unconventional designs. When it comes to the masses, hawkbills and recurves or reverse-s patterns are a definite minority. That said, I'd buy another hawkbill whenever Sal wants to make one.
I think that you have the logical solution. Yeah all we need is to completely revamp the SUPERHAWK with a more radical curve and a blade full of TEETH :cool: The SUPERHAWK was the only premium grade Hawkbill with a serious handle for sure up till now.

But I still want a high end, deluxe edition of the Spyderhawk with an FFG blade and a G-10 handle too. Those two proposed Hawkbill models would probably unseat the Harpy in very short order. And if you watch the forum closely as I have you will notice that Hawkbills are gaining in popularity.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This thread needs inspiration

*Landon*
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I have the Super Hawk in my pocket this morning. I believe if this is re-released there needs to be some CQI ergos changed on the grip. The hook on the end of the grip snags on the lining of my pocket. That literally needs to be rounded off there's no reason for that hook. And the grip side of the finger choil needs to be smoothed out too, it doesn't need to be that pointy.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:12 am
xceptnl wrote:
I think that you have the logical solution. Yeah all we need is to completely revamp the SUPERHAWK with a more radical curve and a blade full of TEETH :cool: The SUPERHAWK was the only premium grade Hawkbill with a serious handle for sure up till now.

But I still want a high end, deluxe edition of the Spyderhawk with an FFG blade and a G-10 handle too. Those two proposed Hawkbill models would probably unseat the Harpy in very short order. And if you watch the forum closely as I have you will notice that Hawkbills are gaining in popularity.
Based on the recent Reveals and the trend shifting in the Spyderco catalog, alternate shapes are gaining ground. The wharncliffe has become a full line at this point. Hawkbills have historically been a highly specialized blade shape and yet they have a highly functional niche as well as very versatile functionality in many other EDC roles.
*Landon*
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:15 am

That would be very nice! Did they ever make it with serrations? I'm not sure I'd want one in PE but I'd be happy for those who would ;)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:08 am
Just look at all the other Hawkbill models and compare how many units have sold in PE versus SE. It's not even remotely close. I'm sure it's probably 85% SE to 15% PE>> and that's a conservative estimate.
Most Spyderco Hawkbills are only available in H-1, which has pretty poor PE edge holding. Maybe that's why the SE's are more popular?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:12 am
xceptnl wrote:

I've noticed this too and I blame you! :p My eyes were opened and it seems to me that nothing stays "in the cut" like a Hawkbill." Especially with teeth :D
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:15 am

With all the Spyderedged Harpy models they sold since the inception of the Great Spyder Factory I can't for the life of me understand why they never made this absolutely gorgeous Hawkbill in full SE>> I just don't get it at all. Because serrated Hawkbills have at least a thousand more uses than PE Hawkbills do.

Unless they made this model for a very specific purpose. Yeah maybe all they need to do is to dig this one out of the Spyder-Grave and put some teeth on it. But I do also like your idea of a more radical curved edition as well.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Sorry Connor, I didn't catch this thread but I'd love to have M4 or K390 SE if they could do it. Would you still prefer plain edge even if the edge retention was higher with the super steels?

I have a folding box cutter that has hawkbill replacements but I find it's not very good in plain edge (probably cheap too), I confess I haven't used it much only on carpet and that stuff can wear on any blade. My Spyderhawk and DF2 HB are both SE and go for days and they are both H1.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If the Superhawk had a little more curve/hook to it and SE it would be incredible. As it is (was) it really needed more hook, it was almost like a wharncliffe with a negative blade angle.

Interesting timing on this topic, I've been playing around with my Spyderhawk a lot lately and to my surprise (and I suspect to JD's horror) I think I'd prefer a slightly smaller blade on a hawkbill. On one hand there is definitely a reach advantage that's really handy when I'm trimming vines and plants, but on some tasks especially when I'm working with the blade tip it feels really "distant" if that makes sense, like the tip is so far from my hand it's difficult to have good control over it. I feel like we need a middle of the road hawkbill like the Superhawk that's beefy enough to use hard but FFG so it slices really well and has 3 inches or so of cutting edge.

Hey.........is it too soon to talk about a Rock Jumper hawkbill?? :eek: Honestly just got chills thinking about that.

SE/FFG/LC200N Rock Jumper hawkbill.....yes please!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:54 pm
If the Superhawk had a little more curve/hook to it and SE it would be incredible. As it is (was) it really needed more hook, it was almost like a wharncliffe with a negative blade angle.

Interesting timing on this topic, I've been playing around with my Spyderhawk a lot lately and to my surprise (and I suspect to JD's horror) I think I'd prefer a slightly smaller blade on a hawkbill. On one hand there is definitely a reach advantage that's really handy when I'm trimming vines and plants, but on some tasks especially when I'm working with the blade tip it feels really "distant" if that makes sense, like the tip is so far from my hand it's difficult to have good control over it. I feel like we need a middle of the road hawkbill like the Superhawk that's beefy enough to use hard but FFG so it slices really well and has 3 inches or so of cutting edge.

Hey.........is it too soon to talk about a Rock Jumper hawkbill?? :eek: Honestly just got chills thinking about that.

SE/FFG/LC200N Rock Jumper hawkbill.....yes please!
I used my Spyderhawk yesterday to trim out the foil off a jug of antifreeze and had a similar thought that the tip end was hard to manipulate around that small area, and I've opined for a larger version when it comes to yard work. Middle ground would suffice to me.

I'd be all over a JumperHawk!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Just about all traditional style hawkbills are flat ground. Not sure why Spyderco's versions were/are not FFG with the exception for the SH.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:36 pm
Sorry Connor, I didn't catch this thread but I'd love to have M4 or K390 SE if they could do it. Would you still prefer plain edge even if the edge retention was higher with the super steels?
I wouldn't say no to SE but I sure would like to try Plain Edge if they made that an option.

I like serrations as well as the next guy but it feels like we already have a ton of SE options. No need to SE everything. Let's try something different! ;)
- Connor