Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your lock preference

Poll ended at Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 am

Walker Liner Lock
9%
Reeves Integral Lock (frame lock)
3%
Ball Bearing Lock
9%
Compression Lock
29%
Back (mid) Lock
51%

Total votes: 115

qwkzotc

Re: Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Post by qwkzotc »

Truthfully, Liner lock probably is a favorite for me because it was pretty much all I used for my first 40 or 50 years of collecting knives. It's just an old friend. Add to that the Millie and I'm set for life. That being said, I think the RIL is pretty much a Liner Lock. I can manage the CBBL quite well also and have carried a Maxamet Manix as one of my knives for near on 2 years now. Put the lock up on top of the knife though and I start tying my fingers in knots.

Dan
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I voted ball bearing, I assume we’re talking cbbl as in my Manix2. Wish they would use it more but I guess it’s hard to fit into designs.
Next up would be the compression lock, particularly button activated as on the Smock! Hopefully we will see some more of that soon.
Last on my list is a backlock, I always get a bit more wiggle than I’d like. Backlock and frame lock are the only two I’ve had fail on me. Framelock was a CRK small Sebenza, works fine after adjustment. I’ve had two backlock fail, neither Spyderco. One would slip, the other broke off. Neither were a quality knife but when there’s play it makes me nervous thanks to them.
In case anyone finds it interesting or important, I’m a lefty.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:25 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:46 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:38 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:51 pm
The liner lock on the Military is the best liner lock I've used. It is exceptional. It never failed to keep the knife held securely open, and I used my old D2 Millie hard just like you.

I wholeheartedly agree and don't hesitate to repeat: For me the perfect Millie design would be kind of ruined and less usefull if it actually were to be replaced by a comp. lock Millie 2.
I hope that any iteration of the military keeps its liner lock. As y’all have all stated, I’m here to add my testimony to the military being the best liner lock I’ve ever seen. I carried a C36 military for years and did unspeakable things to it, never once did it fail. I never even had to tighten a screw on it.

Yep, the Military liner lock is great. It is right behind the backlock for me. Well, tied with the Manix's CBBL more than likely. I REAAALLLY want to see the Millie in the DLT Purple DLC Cruwear exclusive series. I just wish they would black out the liners going forward. I'll gladly pay the extra $10, $20, $30, whatever. I'd grab two of those for sure.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Back lock. Just feels better, personally. Though I must admit I like to play/fidget with comp lock and cbbl. I simply prefer to carry/use backlock.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I voted comp lock - most of my current users are comp lock, and I especially like the comp/button lock on the Smock and wish it were adapted to the Para3...
That said, mid-lock (Jazzlica) is really growing on me for all the listed reasons. I would add too that the midlock can accomodate a thinner blade stock, and a thinner overall package as well.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Backlock, If I weren't a Lefty it might be different.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I didn't vote, because my preferences have become more nuanced. I have/had all listed lock types and I like them all. I care more about the other aspects of the knife, assuming the lock is sound.

I generally use knives with a compression lock, back lock, or cbbl. Spyderco does a great job with all these locks and I can easily use any of them. In the past I've had issues with certain locks, which were purely my own, and I've had strong preferences, with a clear favorite, but my tastes have changed with time. In the past, focusing too much on the lock types meant I missed out on some great knives.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I used to really like compression locks. Still do, but backlocks have made their way into my edc.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

So, why I am lockback fan?

It's completely ambidextrous.

It doesn't have detent and it has very strong close bias. These two things are making backlock perfect candidate for IWB carry.

It's strong. It doesn't matter that much, tho.

What's not to like?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

Newbie here.
Bought my 1st Spyderco Para 3 because of the Compression Lock, but I admit I much prefer the Backlock of my 4th Spyderco Native 5 LW Salt.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tough one for me. I'm very partial to the compression lock in most cases, but lately I'm seeing that a back lock has some ergonomic advantages when using a knife hard (less hot spots) and may serve me better in other ways such as working with gloves on and being ambidextrous. The problem I have is there are other knife criteria that I stick to that doesn't always work with a back lock, so I'm stuck having to choose between the lock or those other details and so far the compression lock has won. When the Rock Jumper gets here that may be a game changer. Today I'd have to vote for the compression lock but in the future it may be the back lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I strongly prefer a good liner lock because of ease of 1-hand opening, and least likely to drop while 1-hand closing. This is most important to me when a drop would result in it gone forever, or damage to something below.

Distant second is mid back lock.

Frame locks not considered because of metal handle requirement.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:17 am
I strongly prefer a good liner lock because of ease of 1-hand opening, and least likely to drop while 1-hand closing. This is most important to me when a drop would result in it gone forever, or damage to something below.

I'm always curious to read stuff like this as it makes it seem like even despite the stated risks, no tool tether is in use. If the risk is that high, a tool tether would be a must, in my opinion.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I voted for the compression lock, though the mid-lock (backlock) is a close second. The reason I prefer the compression lock is its reliability. The mid-lock is one of the only folding knife mechanisms that I have ever had fail on me during use (the other being the liner lock). The first two mid-lock failures were due to poor manufacturing (though both knives were from major brand names and purchased from reputable dealers). The third failure was due to sand getting into the pivot while I was playing in the surf with my son. Thankfully, only one of these failures led to a cut, which was minor. The compression lock has never failed on me, and that includes a Gunting trainer that we mercilessly abused at my MMA school. The compression lock’s design seems to be self-cleaning: if any debris gets into the tang, the lock just pushes it out of the way and locks up. I’ve had that Gunting trainer smacked on the spine with a rattan kali stick during full-contact sparring and it didn’t close on me.

I will say that the mid-lock (backlock) is my first choice when I’m going to be moving around a lot (e.g., jogging). I had a liner lock with a weak detent come open in my pocket many years ago (on a $200 knife!), which resulted in me getting a stab in my thigh. The mid-lock is wonderful because it holds itself closed so that this kind of thing can’t happen.

My EDC is typically a plain edged Para 2, Caribbean, or Sage 5 in my front pocket and a serrated Salt 2 (or Pacific Salt) in my back pocket, so I always have the best of both worlds. I also really like the CBB lock, but I only own one knife with that lock (the S110V Manix 2), so I don’t have nearly as much experience with it.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:12 am
jpm2 wrote:

I'm always curious to read stuff like this as it makes it seem like even despite the stated risks, no tool tether is in use. If the risk is that high, a tool tether would be a must, in my opinion.
Not sure if a tether Would cause more problems than it would solve. It would have to be long enough to go from pocket to my max reach. It would have to be kept tucked away so it doesn’t snag on anything.
A lot of times, I’m in awkward positions needing to make a cut, with only 1 hand available from the time I draw the knife to the time it’s put away.
I tried a coiled tether once and didn’t like it.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

jpm2 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:14 am
JRinFL wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

Not sure if a tether Would cause more problems than it would solve. It would have to be long enough to go from pocket to my max reach. It would have to be kept tucked away so it doesn’t snag on anything.
A lot of times, I’m in awkward positions needing to make a cut, with only 1 hand available from the time I draw the knife to the time it’s put away.
I've been looking for a good retractable tether but can't seem to find anything really heavy duty.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:47 am
jpm2 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:14 am
JRinFL wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

I've been looking for a good retractable tether but can't seem to find anything really heavy duty.
Retractable is one I didn’t think of.
PStone

Post by PStone »

As a custodian, I stay away from retractable tethers. Nothing like dropping your keys, only to have them zip back and hit you between the legs. I can’t even imagine if I dropped an open knife :eek:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

PStone wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:18 am
As a custodian, I stay away from retractable tethers. Nothing like dropping your keys, only to have them zip back and hit you between the legs. I can’t even imagine if I dropped an open knife :eek:
Ha ha! Never thought of that! :eek: :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

PStone wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:18 am
Good point, retractable is out unless it’s the ratchet/locking type.