Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your lock preference

Poll ended at Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 am

Walker Liner Lock
9%
Reeves Integral Lock (frame lock)
3%
Ball Bearing Lock
9%
Compression Lock
29%
Back (mid) Lock
51%

Total votes: 115

The Meat man

Re: Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Post by The Meat man »

My favorite is the Caged Ball Bearing lock.

After that I think I'd prefer a well-made backlock, R.I.L., or linerlock over the compression lock.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
carrot

Post by carrot »

I can't vote because my #1 lock is the mid-lock.

The compression lock really works for me so it is probably my second favorite. Third would be the RIL and fourth the BBL. I do not really care for the CBBL but it doesn't prevent me from loving the Manix 2. The liner lock is also a great lock, but since so many makers make terrible ones it slips to dead last for me. (Many makers make terrible framelocks too, but the overarching principle of the framelock partially makes up for a terribly designed one.)

If we only consider Spyderco-made liner locks (hello Tenacious, Military, Cat), it roughly equals or possibly exceeds the compression lock for me. Same with the RIL, Spyderco and CRK only would jump it up to equal or better to the compression lock. I think the compression lock is better than the LL/RIL but suffers just a little from being trickier to manipulate.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Back lock. Then liner/frame lock, then CBBL/comp lock

Therefore I voted liner lock.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I fixed the poll. I think I wrote the pOst around midnight last night.
My intent is to get to why you prefer one lock over the others. More information that way than just saying “I love the [insert lock type here].
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:06 am
** I omitted the back lock. Fixed. **

Thanks!! :)

The comments so far seem to suggest a noticeable preference for the backlock, so I sure hope all these people will come back and vote once more... :) (of course the ones who voted for another lock type too! Would be nice to have a somewhat realistic picture of the distribution of preferences here)

In a way it seems to me, that with the backlock happens the same momentarely as it is with SE:

People actually TRY both things more and more and overcome stupid and persistent prejudices by that:
For example SE would be hard to sharpen or backlocks awkward to use one handed, when in fact there are so many easy, exceptionally safe and convenient ways to operate this locktype... and SE is not hard to sharpen at all... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:01 am
As already mentioned, poll is flawed missing the back lock.

The weird part is he actually mentions the Delica, but then left the backlock off the poll? :confused: Perhaps he will come back today and add it so we have an accurate poll. It seems like at least half on here prefer the backlock.

My current Spydie user rotation consists of 9 backlocks, 1 CBBL, and 1 Comp Lock (incoming Cru-ple PM2 even though I don't really care for the PM2 or comp lock). The next 5 knives I buy will probably all be backlocks as well (K390 Endura, Delica, and Dfly, VG10 Endela, and an upcoming exclusive which shall not be named since the last thread was removed). I also plan on re-buying the Chap LW and Native Salt after selling them in my last purge. And I need to track down another Spyderhawk as well after regrettably selling it in aforementioned purge. All backlocks.

I like the backlock for it's close bias, strength, ambidexterity, simplicity, and ease of one handed opening and closing. I prefer all backlocks to have the boye dent as well. I'm disappointed it is not on the Native or Police LW.

Edit: Looks like the poll is fixed. Thanks Michael! Will go vote backlock now!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Oddly enough, given that two of my favorite models are the Manix 2 and the Delica, I think I like the comp lock best of all. The cbbl is a close second, and the back lock after that. But if I like a design with any of those locks I wouldn't hesitate to try it out. I'm much pickier about liner/frame locks.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 am
I fixed the poll. I think I wrote the pOst around midnight last night.
My intent is to get to why you prefer one lock over the others. More information that way than just saying “I love the [insert lock type here].

Ok, more on this (why I prefer backlock and then CBBL over all other locktypes)

Backlock (and many, but not all, points also true for the CBBL):

- Totally ambidextrous
- Imho most and also most safe methods to close one handed (fingers can stay out of the blade path all the time exactly like with a comp lock if one really needs that, but also if NOT: Due to the "stop" and not floppy blade all the other methods are very safe for the fingers too - one can always easily move them out of way before the blade is getting closed).
- The safe, fingers out of the blade path comp. lock - method makes it easier to drop the knife. Not so much with a backlock
- Self close bias: Very safe when knife is in the pocket
- Easy to operate even with gloves, cold, greasy, wet... fingers (no (more or less) small cutout and no (more or less)small lock tab)
- The steel in the back of the knife makes for a sturdy construction even with linerless models
- Smooth, comfortable closed back, no potentially "hotspotty" cutouts like comp lock and linerlock do have.
- Overall very thin knives can be constructed when using a backlock.
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I voted Compression Lock but my real answer would be the wild and free uncaged Ball Bearing Lock.
It's a strong lock and easy to clean, but more than that both the visual and tactile aesthetic of manipulating the BB is very appealing.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I prefer the back lock / mid lock because it offers a smooth, flat work surface. Many times when I need to bear down, all or part of my thumb presses right where all other locks are open. Two narrow bearing surfaces are less comfortable versus one smooth flat surface. Even the slip-joint excels in this feature.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:48 am

Ok, more on this (why I prefer backlock and then CBBL over all other locktypes)

Backlock (and many, but not all, points also true for the CBBL):

- Totally ambidextrous
- Imho most and also most safe methods to close one handed (fingers can stay out of the blade path all the time exactly like with a comp lock if one really needs that, but also if NOT: Due to the "stop" and not floppy blade all the other methods are very safe for the fingers too - one can always easily move them out of way before the blade is getting closed).
- The safe, fingers out of the blade path comp. lock - method makes it easier to drop the knife. Not so much with a backlock
- Self close bias: Very safe when knife is in the pocket
- Easy to operate even with gloves, cold, greasy, wet... fingers (no (more or less) small cutout and no (more or less)small lock tab)
- The steel in the back of the knife makes for a sturdy construction even with linerless models
- Smooth, comfortable closed back, no potentially "hotspotty" cutouts like comp lock and linerlock do have.
- Overall very thin knives can be constructed when using a backlock.

- Smooth, closed back without the potentially "hot spotty" cutouts of comp lock and liner lock
All of this applies to me as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

Backlock for me please!
carrot

Post by carrot »

I'm 100% with Wartstein on this one. The mid-lock has a lot of undeniable advantages.

I carry a lot either loose in pocket or IWB.

Since I don't get the advantage of having the pocket seam pressing against the spine of the blade, knives with a strong bias to staying closed are a big preference for me.

I like open back compression or liner locks for dirty jobs as they're a little easier to clean. I like RIL for the extra-sturdy feeling. And I like BBL because it combines my favorite advantages of the lockback (self close, ambi) with my favorite from the liner lock (hard to foul, easy to clean).

These days I carry a lot of small fixed blades as well. With the right clip and sheath, they are easy to conceal, easy enough to put away, and since they are usually run with softer steel, a total breeze to touch up.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michael, "ball bearing lock" in your poll stands for both this lock, but also the CAGED ball bearing lock (CBBL), am I right?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 am

My intent is to get to why you prefer one lock over the others.
Caged Ball Bearing Lock.

Remember, the knife is just a knife. It's a means to achieve something important. The primary goal of having the knife is something completely different than just having the knife. I might be holding bundle of wires in a cramped space, that are part of a delicate system, where errors cannot be made. Without taking my eye off the work, I grab the Manix 2 out of my pocket with my free hand, flick open the razor sharp blade, and cut the intended wire without nicking any of the others. While continuing to hold the bundle and never taking my eye off the work, I pull back on the ball bearing lock, the blade swings closed with a "click," and I gently slide the knife back into the pocket from whence it came. The knife does its job, and I didn't have to divert attention from the task at hand.

Back locks come in second.

Compression locks, frame locks, and liner locks are all awful. They should be banned. They discriminate against people of the Sinistromanual persuasion.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Whilst I voted for the Walker liner lock (being the lock type my spreadsheet tells me I carry most), the lock type isn't driving the decision I make when I choose a knife for the day. It is probably the least important consideration for me. I carry non-locking knives quite regularly and use them with the same confidence (and common sense) as when I use locking knives.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I prefer the CBBL because it retains the best qualities of the backlock (no detent, ambidextrous, close bias) while being even smoother than the backlock, plus easier to close quickly with one hand.

My reason for picking the compression lock last is simply that I don't really like the tactile experience of closing it. It feels less secure than the other types.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:27 am
I genuinely do not think I have a lock preference.
I thought I was the only one haha! My only true lock preference is that the lock keeps the blade safely open!

I guess if I was forced to rank lock types it would look something like..
Comp, back, liner, RIL > CBBL > BBL

I don't dislike the CBBL, I just think I prefer the others a little bit more. The only knife I've ever sold specifically because I didn't like the lock was the Q-Ball.. the narrow access to the BBL just did not work well with my fingers.. to the point where an otherwise pretty cool knife was ruined for me because I could not close it easily..

Generally though, as long as I like the design of the knife and am able to manipulate the lock easily enough, I'm alright with any lock type really, so long as it is well executed..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I have always preferred liner and frame locks personally for various reasons.

For my EDC blades it will be one of them all the time.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is no secret that I like the mid back lock most of all, followed in order, by the CBBL, then the comp lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050