Gayle Bradley

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Gayle Bradley

Post by JuPaul »

Could someone post a close up pic or two of the liner lock and access cutout? I love the look of the gb2, especially with aftermarket micarta scales. But from what I can see in pics, the lock looks barely accessible. And generally with liner/frame locks that's a deal breaker for me. The gb1 looks like it had a much bigger cutout. Any thoughts on that from those of you that own one?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:49 am
Could someone post a close up pic or two of the liner lock and access cutout? I love the look of the gb2, especially with aftermarket micarta scales. But from what I can see in pics, the lock looks barely accessible. And generally with liner/frame locks that's a deal breaker for me. The gb1 looks like it had a much bigger cutout. Any thoughts on that from those of you that own one?
It's by design and it works well for me. I push the meat of my thumb down in there and slide the lock over without much effort. The GB2 is arguably easier to disengage than the GB1.

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:59 am
JuPaul wrote:
It's by design and it works well for me. I push the meat of my thumb down in there and slide the lock over without much effort. The GB2 is arguably easier to disengage than the GB1.

So, when you depress the lockbar, are you able to use the side or meat of your thumb, or are you more forced to use the tip of your thumb? I ask because I have longer fingernails than most of you guys. A lot of times when access is limited on a liner lock, I have to use the tip of my thumb to get to it, and that tears up my fingernail.

Edit: thanks for the pic!
- Julia

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I push the pad and/or tip of the middle of my thumb down into the lock and the meat that gets pressed in there is enough to move the lock over easily. Looking at my own technique, having finger nails could be a problem.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:22 am
I push the pad and/or tip of the middle of my thumb down into the lock and the meat that gets pressed in there is enough to move the lock over easily. Looking at my own technique, having finger nails could be a problem.
This what I do too. And I agree that the GB2 is a little easier to move the lock bar over. Not sure but I think it's due to thinner liners. Not sure what it would be like with long nails

I bought a modified GB on the secondary market because I read about people having issues unlocking it. Then I bought an unmodified one. I struggled with it a little at first until I realized you have to push down on the lock bar to get enough purchase on it to move it over. I just pulled out the modified one and unlocking it is a non-issue.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Gayle Bradley 2 is a really classic looking desing, and even I don't really like liner locks, this model is really nice. Pricey, but you get the M4 and Taichung fit and finish.
Lock cutout could be addressed in like 15 minutes maybe, even with hand tools you could modified it.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

While I think the GB2 is a great knife, please please please bring back the Air!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:00 am
abbazaba wrote:
This what I do too. And I agree that the GB2 is a little easier to move the lock bar over. Not sure but I think it's due to thinner liners. Not sure what it would be like with long nails

I bought a modified GB on the secondary market because I read about people having issues unlocking it. Then I bought an unmodified one. I struggled with it a little at first until I realized you have to push down on the lock bar to get enough purchase on it to move it over. I just pulled out the modified one and unlocking it is a non-issue.
Thanks, guys. Sounds like I might not love this lock. Too bad, because it's a beautiful knife. Oh well, on to the next 20 on my list... ;)
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:38 am
Gayle Bradley 2 is a really classic looking desing, and even I don't really like liner locks, this model is really nice. Pricey, but you get the M4 and Taichung fit and finish.
Lock cutout could be addressed in like 15 minutes maybe, even with hand tools you could modified it.
I turn over a lot of the knives in my collection pretty often, so I don't want to make permanant mods unless I know it's a knife I'll keep forever.
- Julia

standy99

Post by standy99 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:11 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
abbazaba wrote:

Thanks, guys. Sounds like I might not love this lock. Too bad, because it's a beautiful knife. Oh well, on to the next 20 on my list... ;)
Big hands and never had a issue with the GB1. Different when I first got it to what I’m used to but couldn’t see what all the fuss about needing to modify it was. If the GB2 is easier to unlock you shouldn’t have a issue.
By far my favourite knife and bang for buck it’s better than several knives I have at 3x the price. ( sold another brands iconic knife worth $500 after not using it after getting the GB1 )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:16 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:11 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
abbazaba wrote:

Big hands and never had a issue with the GB1. Different when I first got it to what I’m used to but couldn’t see what all the fuss about needing to modify it was. If the GB2 is easier to unlock you shouldn’t have a issue.
By far my favourite knife and bang for buck it’s better than several knives I have at 3x the price. ( sold another brands iconic knife worth $500 after not using it after getting the GB1 )
The modified GB1 I have is definitely way easier to unlock than an unmodified one. However, I do agree that it's really not necessary once you figure out how to unlock a stock one
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:03 am
Was planning on getting one now that they're finally restocked but the SFO sold out before I had a chance to place an order. Less than three days. I really hope they don't discontinue it, there seems to be a lot of pent up demand
Looks like they are back in stock at SFO. Good luck!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I could be wrong, but I think the design of the lock was two fold. First, it is designed so that you do not accidentally release the lock while using the blade. I mean using the blade for real difficult work, not envelope opening. Second, with a smoother bottom you have less chance of a hotspot while you are using the knife for actual work. IMO, it was never designed to be a Gentlepersons folder, it was meant to be used hard. All folding knives are a compromise.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

JuPaul wrote:
I'll get you a pic! I actually used a dremel to grind down the liner opposite of the lock bar and it made the knife a lot better.
/ David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:47 am
JuPaul wrote:
I'll get you a pic! I actually used a dremel to grind down the liner opposite of the lock bar and it made the knife a lot better.
Thanks!
- Julia

Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 am
Sonorum wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Thanks!

Now that I've thought about I used the upper roller on a work sharp blade grinder to sand down the liner. But anything could remove it, it's not a lot of material.
/ David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:31 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 am
Sonorum wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Thanks!

Now that I've thought about I used the upper roller on a work sharp blade grinder to sand down the liner. But anything could remove it, it's not a lot of material.
Awesome. We've got an old work sharp, too. Thanks!
- Julia

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I never had a problem with my GB2. The edge of my thumbnail naturally came up against the lock bar and all I had to do was push. Much like my Schempp Bowie.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Back in stock at SFO of anyone is interested. I just picked one up :)
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

My GB 2 arrived yesterday. I sure can see why you folks are so enthusiastic about this knife. I fell in love with it in about 5 minutes after opening the box. This is a real sweet heavier duty folder. Carries well, handles like a dream. Nice and stout without being huge and overbuilt. Gorgeous, great fit and finish. This is about the upper end of size and weight for me, in a folder. If I need more knife I go fixed blade.

I still want the Native Chief S90V Sprint, but this beauty is a keeper, for sure. The lock release is fine for me, but I guess I can see why some have an issue with it.