2021 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Re: 2021 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by PStone »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:16 pm

.... and if someone can tell me how to turn the image 90 deg. I would be grateful!
Have you put the image through any editing software?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Model: Spyderco Reinhold Rhino C210CF

This picture was inspired by the many good memories I had with my grandfather. When I was a kid, my grandfather used to take my brother and me fishing for bass, bluegill, and crappie. He showed us how to clean the fish and prepare them in the most delicious ways possible. The Rhino was designed to share in outdoor adventures. Here's a slightly modified Rhino with a few memories from Grandpa's tackle box.

As always, thank you Spyderco very much for the cool contest! It is always a treat to see everyone's pictures.

Best,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

PSquared wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:14 am
TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:58 pm

Content Restrictions:
The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright).
Just to be clear, a maker's mark on the blade other than Eric's or Sal's is okay?

Say I was using a Lum Chinese as my featured knife and the non-presentation side was photographed, would Bob Lum's maker's mark need to be cloned out of the image or could I leave it?
Hi, PSquared:
Yes, those are fine. You don't need to remove trademarks that appear on our products. This rule is really about non-Spyderco related trademarks. Thanks for asking!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 am
PSquared wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:14 am
TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:58 pm

Content Restrictions:
The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright).
Just to be clear, a maker's mark on the blade other than Eric's or Sal's is okay?

Say I was using a Lum Chinese as my featured knife and the non-presentation side was photographed, would Bob Lum's maker's mark need to be cloned out of the image or could I leave it?
Hi, PSquared:
Yes, those are fine. You don't need to remove trademarks that appear on our products. This rule is really about non-Spyderco related trademarks. Thanks for asking!

Kristi
Many thanks
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

PStone wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:07 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

.... and if someone can tell me how to turn the image 90 deg. I would be grateful!
Have you put the image through any editing software?
Just an (old) iPad - I think that’s the issue. When I rotate further it crops the image and drops the file size by 30%! Never mind, it’s only a thumbnail.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

C11WDP - Knife Centre Pakkawood / HAP40 exclusive Delica 4
I was born in Japan. The first time I went back as an adult was in 2013. The background of the composite image above was taken on that holiday in a 1,400 year old Buddhist village called Koyasan. It's a path to one of the many little shrines in the village.

My first Spyderco was a first generation Delica, a Japanese made knife and I thought to show the knife in a traditional, very Japanese environment ... also like it was going back to its country of birth.

My original Delica is in pretty bad shape (serrations were badly abused) and I thought that the newer Pakkawood version would compliment the weathered timber torii gate path better so that was used for the second image that was superimposed on the background in Photoshop.
Wralle

Post by Wralle »

If last year is anything to go by, this is going to be a tough year with some amazing photos. I hope everyone has been keeping safe during these times. Good luck to all who enter.
Matriarch 2, Manix 2 translucent blue, Manix 2 Carbon Fiber CPM154/S90V, Scorpious, PM2 S110V, Para 3 SPY27, Streetbeat FRN, Bug, Chaparral Rafir Noble, Chaparral Ti, Tenacious, Mule Team 21, Domino, Rhino, Spot, One Eyed Jack, Dogtag Ti, Native 5 Fluted CF, Amalgam, Coin 2017 :cool:
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I spent some time last week in Edisto Beach, South Carolina with my family. One morning, my father and I hiked around Botany Bay, a wildlife management area that includes a pristine beached covered with the sun-bleached remnants of storm-felled trees. This photo shows my Spyderco Caribbean (C217G) resting atop a branch of one of these trees, lit by the rising sun with the Atlantic ocean just behind it. The Caribbean is my favorite outdoor folder because it offers the ideal balance between edge-retention, rust-resistance, and toughness to suit my needs.
Takuan Calendar Preview.jpeg
(The preview image appears grainy; please click on it for a higher-resolution photo.)
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the pacific salt is the knife that brought me back to spyderco after over 30 years of other brands. i bought it because i was moving to hawaii and wanted a knife i could carry in the ocean. the pacific seemed like a natural choice. it also reminded me of a grown up version of my first pocket knife ever, which was of course a spyderco ladybug.
the pacific salt proved to be a gateway drug for me and i have acquired a handful of other spyderco knives in the last few years since returning to the brand. however, as cool as they all are, the spyderedge pacific salt is the one always on me, whether i'm in the water, hiking in the rainforest, working out, walking around town, or even lounging at home. it's the one spyderco i can't go without.
as i sit on the beach here today and think about moving from this beautiful island in less than a week, i think about how dependable and great this knife has been and how it's transformed my preferences and ideas about what a good folder should be. i couldn't have asked for a more perfect knife for living on an island in the middle of the pacific. i will miss this place, but i'll always have my "hawaii knife" to remember the good times and beauty here.
seriously... if you don't have one, you need one.

keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
You may have already seen this, but here are instructions on how to rotate photos on the iPad using the Photos app: https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/e ... 6e8/ipados. See about 1/3 of the way down the page under “Crop, rotate, or flip a photo.” You might want to export the photo as a JPEG, since Apple devices typically use HEIF, which might have compatibility issues with the forum. Please find instructions here: https://support.apple.com/guide/photos ... 157c5f/mac. I hope this helps! Your photo is very nice.
Last edited by Takuan on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Socrates
Htmcrae

Post by Htmcrae »

This Dragonfly 2 Salt yellow hawkbill is my favorite Spyderco. The rust resistance, blade shape, and handle color are all ideal for me. It used to be my husband's, but I borrowed it from his knife drawer so many times he told me just to keep it! This photo was taken in July on Edisto Beach in South Carolina while I was taking a sunrise walk on the beach and stopped near one of the jetties with the earliest morning light pouring over everything.
Attachments
IMG_0701 copy.jpg
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

^Terrific shot ladybug!!! That one is a winner for sure! :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:18 pm
^Terrific shot ladybug!!! That one is a winner for sure! :cool:
Yeah, thats a really awesome shot!
-Nick :bug-red
Wralle

Post by Wralle »

So this year I decided to take it back to where it all started for me with Spyderco. My amazing wife knew my love for knives so she decided that she was going to spoil me with a knife that Eric designed. She chose this knife as I am a scorpio and what better fitting knife to choose than the Scorpius. She has supported my obsession with Spyderco ever since and help with the collection along the way. So for me this is a heartfelt submission. Hope you all enjoy it and good luck to all.

Matriarch 2, Manix 2 translucent blue, Manix 2 Carbon Fiber CPM154/S90V, Scorpious, PM2 S110V, Para 3 SPY27, Streetbeat FRN, Bug, Chaparral Rafir Noble, Chaparral Ti, Tenacious, Mule Team 21, Domino, Rhino, Spot, One Eyed Jack, Dogtag Ti, Native 5 Fluted CF, Amalgam, Coin 2017 :cool:
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Nice work, ladybug93. My wife and I lived in Hawai‘i for a long time (both UH Mānoa alums), but had to move away about 14 years ago for work, so we feel your pain at having to leave paradise. I still have the first-run Salt 1 that I bought for snorkeling back in 2003 (the first of many purchases in the Salt line). H1 has been a miracle-metal for saltwater sportsmen, and LC200N has made me even happier. Even though I photographed my Caribbean for the calendar contest, my trusty Pacific Salt was in my back pocket (though it is so scratched up from years of use that it’s hardly photogenic anymore).
--Socrates
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Schlla, Takuan, Htmcrae,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:59 pm
Hi Schlla, Takuan, Htmcrae,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you, sir! I teach business ethics for a living, so it’s a great pleasure to see a company that is so dedicated to listening to its customers and constantly improving the quality of its products.
--Socrates
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Takuan,

Thanx. We try.

( FYI. Socrates was one of my mentors.)

sal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"constant improvement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind".
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

I chose the Spyderco Pacific Salt (C91PBK) because I love this knife. I've carried Pacific Salts since 2006 and they have never let me down. I carry one in my pocket, I have one in my car and I even keep one in the shower!

cgjones-forum.jpg
Carson
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:18 pm
^Terrific shot ladybug!!!
Mushroom wrote: Yeah, thats a really awesome shot!
Takuan wrote: Nice work, ladybug93.
you all are too nice. thank you for the kind words.

there are already a lot of good submissions. i've been posting in the photo of the week contest for a long time, but this is my first time trying a shot for the calendar. i just enjoy taking pictures and using my spydercos, so it's all in good fun. also, watching people walk by me and wonder if i'm crazy because i'm taking pictures of my knives in various places is pretty entertaining for me.
i can't wait to see how the calendar comes out. it'll be a nice addition to my new desk whether i make it in or not. :) best of luck to all that enter.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C