Unpopular opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Unpopular opinions

Post by steelcity16 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:10 am
The Pacific Salt 2 is a downgrade.

It's like "New Coke".

Lol. How so? I think it is an upgrade in every regard and I was a huge Pac Salt 1 fan.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:00 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:10 am
The Pacific Salt 2 is a downgrade.

It's like "New Coke".

Lol. How so? I think it is an upgrade in every regard and I was a huge Pac Salt 1 fan.
The handle doesn't fit my hand. The old one fit like a glove.

I also prefered the barrel bolt clip on that particular model.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

putting carbon fiber over g10 is for people that insist on going to target instead of walmart because they want to think they're fancy. and i think it looks tacky.

no disrespect to sal, but to me the shaman is underdesigned and overpriced. having part of the blade tang stick out into the comp lock cavity seems like a design problem that they just gave up on solving. more and more models are coming out like this now and spyderco seems to almost be treating it like a feature. the end of the shaman handle doesn't fill the hand well. the contoured g10 is overrated. the whole knife is overrated and costs too much for what it is. when it came out, it was priced fine, but then it became really popular and suddenly the price skyrocketed because of supposed production costs. i'm sorry, but i have a hard time believing that. i think it sold better than expected so the price was jacked up. i considered buying one when they first came out. i had it in my hand at the sfo. ultimately, i decided i liked the manix better for the design issues i mentioned. when the price went up, i became anti-shaman.

i don't care for satin blades. i prefer stonewashed finishes (which is the only thing i like about the shaman over other spyderocs) or dlc.

i don't like sprints or exclusives. if the knife is worth making, make enough for everyone that wants it. the whole practice is just really ugly. and i think it detracts from spyderco's efforts to come out with more production versions of new knives andor knives with other steeps. i also hate how dealers are locked in to specific colors.

s30v is great and i'm perfectly happy with it, unless i can have increased corrosion resistance like with lc200n or h1.

serrations are great and nothing beats a spyderedge.

i don't think this is unpopular, but the manix lw needs screws instead of pins.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Have our light-hearted unpopular opinions become mean-spirited personal grievances?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:57 am
Have our light-hearted unpopular opinions become mean-spirited personal grievances?
Of course they have, you've met Humanity before, I'm sure! :D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:00 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Of course they have, you've met Humanity before, I'm sure! :D
I was gonna blame it on 2020, but your point looms larger. :rolleyes:
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

wrdwrght wrote:
Yeah, don't get me started on that subject. LOL :D ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Aicolainen,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

here we go I finally thought of a few.

--- I absolutely despise "the hump" (seki lockback line, paras, etc). It's only comfortable to hold these knives in one position, just why. Like go try to eat an apple with an endura, you'd have better luck with a sharpened stick. Neutral is always better.

--- Knives are meant to be USED. Making most sprints useless. If I can't get my knife repaired or replaced if something breaks then it's not useful. My collection consists of mostly mid to higher end models, Spydiechef, scale swapped native salt, Waterway, Watu, and my ONE sprint, the coated s90v orange frn manix. Which is my work knife. ALL of my knives get used. But I'm terrified my manix tip will at some point snap and there'll be nothing I can do about it. It's the only reason I didn't jump on any of the rex45 models, because if I buy a knife specifically to beat on it and there's no way to repair or replace it then it's not useful.

--- s30v is bad and you should feel bad. well okay, for *very light* everyday use it's probably fine. For a knife that's particularly fancy or something like that, yeah it's fine. But going back to my previous point, if you plan to use your knife, it's useless. It's one of the least stainless stainlesses and the edge chips at the first sight of danger. It's just plain worse than other options. I'd rather have a knife in vg10 (which sharpens and maintains easily, takes a keen edge, is cheap, and is fairly stainless.) over s30v any day.

--- Plus just a minor one, and I'm not sure if it's controversial or not, BUT. I think lock backs are occasionally better then all other options. They're simple, easy to engage and disengage, they're held closed by a spring, fully ambi. There's just nothing to worry about on them. Spyderco is obviously capable of doing tremendous actions with them as well. My previously mentioned g10 scale swapped salt is incredibly comfortable to use. Smooth as **** too. And I just wouldn't trust any knife with a simple detent to stay closed in my pocket while I'm on a long hike or bike ride. It's the main reason I'm so excited for the SpyOpera, simple construction and good materials. It's all you really need.

--- and 2 extra short ones because I keep thinking of them, I think spyderco's pricing is fine. sometimes the price hikes are a bit awkward, like the waterway going from a tremendous deal to just a reasonable price. But generally, especially for the quality that spyderco pushes, it's always worth it.

-- and going off of quality, I find most fitment problems are user error. If you figure out where to squeeze or whatever during reassembly everything will always align properly. For instance if you squeeze the scales of the spydiechef around the stop pin while re tightening all the screws you'll have perfect centering every time. The technicians at spyderco know what they're doing, don't doubt them. Unless they're putting humps on your blade. Or making your work knife out of s30v. Then you should doubt them.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:52 pm
the next sprint run should be a ultra high carbide, non-PM steel. Do D7. Maybe the gargantuan carbide size unbroken by particle processing would make a difference, good and bad.
This made me laugh :)
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:42 am
putting carbon fiber over g10 is for people that insist on going to target instead of walmart because they want to think they're fancy. and i think it looks tacky.

no disrespect to sal, but to me the shaman is underdesigned and overpriced. having part of the blade tang stick out into the comp lock cavity seems like a design problem that they just gave up on solving. more and more models are coming out like this now and spyderco seems to almost be treating it like a feature. the end of the shaman handle doesn't fill the hand well. the contoured g10 is overrated. the whole knife is overrated and costs too much for what it is. when it came out, it was priced fine, but then it became really popular and suddenly the price skyrocketed because of supposed production costs. i'm sorry, but i have a hard time believing that. i think it sold better than expected so the price was jacked up. i considered buying one when they first came out. i had it in my hand at the sfo. ultimately, i decided i liked the manix better for the design issues i mentioned. when the price went up, i became anti-shaman.

i don't care for satin blades. i prefer stonewashed finishes (which is the only thing i like about the shaman over other spyderocs) or dlc.

i don't like sprints or exclusives. if the knife is worth making, make enough for everyone that wants it. the whole practice is just really ugly. and i think it detracts from spyderco's efforts to come out with more production versions of new knives andor knives with other steeps. i also hate how dealers are locked in to specific colors.

s30v is great and i'm perfectly happy with it, unless i can have increased corrosion resistance like with lc200n or h1.

serrations are great and nothing beats a spyderedge.

Won't buy a Manix LW until this changes.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bamalt1 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:37 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:42 am

Won't buy a Manix LW until this changes.

Yeah, this is a big one. Needs to happen.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I love exclusives and sprints and I don't think exclusives should be rerun.

That said, I think flippers are the scum of the earth and ruin every hobby. I can't even find any cool Pokemon or Hot Wheels for my kids because adult grown men spend their days driving from store to store buying them up to resell, going as far as paying off employees to tip them off. I think we should report all flippers to the IRS because I know most of them aren't paying taxes on their flips. If you buy a knife or anything like this above retail price on the secondary market you are part (really the cause) of the problem and are also to blame. If everyone refused to pay above retail there would be no scalpers and we would have a much better chance of getting the knives we want from dealers at the retail price
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i was just reminded of one...

the matriarch and yojimbo (and any other self defense blades) should be offered as salt models so you can wear them iwb without care or worry. the matriarch could be made in h1 and it would probably be a better choice for that crazy reverse s tip since h1 is known for toughness and amazing se capabilities. plus, the steel is already there at the factory and the handles are already made as well. it just makes sense to me. and the yojimbo would be a prime candidate for lc200n. we already have an lc200n compression lock knife (caribbean), so we know it's possible.

yes, vg10 and s30v have adequate corrosion resistance for most people, but some people can rust just about anything. for these models, where you want it on you all the time, edge retention isn't necessarily a prime concern, and it has to be ready and dependable, it should be a salt if possible.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:18 pm

That said, I think flippers are the scum of the earth and ruin every hobby. I can't even find any cool Pokemon or Hot Wheels for my kids because adult grown men spend their days driving from store to store buying them up to resell, going as far as paying off employees to tip them off. I think we should report all flippers to the IRS because I know most of them aren't paying taxes on their flips. If you buy a knife or anything like this above retail price on the secondary market you are part (really the cause) of the problem and are also to blame. If everyone refused to pay above retail there would be no scalpers and we would have a much better chance of getting the knives we want from dealers at the retail price
If Spyderco reran sprints and exclusives, there would be fewer flippers and they wouldn’t be able to resell the knives for as much. Spyderco is making the market for flippers by creating artificial scarcity.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Karl_H wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

If Spyderco reran sprints and exclusives, there would be fewer flippers and they wouldn’t be able to resell the knives for as much. Spyderco is making the market for flippers by creating artificial scarcity.

Not really. Still comes down to people who just HAVE to have this shiny knife no matter the cost feeding into the scalpers game. There are so many great knives from Spyderco out there and so many new models, sprints, exclusives, etc constantly put out, it is foolish to spend above retail to buy a particular model. All rerunning exclusives does is limit the number of cool new combos we see. If BHQ just kept rerunning their Jade M4 PM2s and Para 3s we would have never seen the Dodo or Manix XL. St Nick's could have just kept rerunning the PM2, Para 3, and Shaman after so many complained about missing out, but then would wouldn't have got the Lil Native or Native LW. If you miss out, move on, something better and shinier is just around the corner. I refuse to buy on the secondary market.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:13 pm

--- s30v is bad and you should feel bad. well okay, for *very light* everyday use it's probably fine. For a knife that's particularly fancy or something like that, yeah it's fine. But going back to my previous point, if you plan to use your knife, it's useless. It's one of the least stainless stainlesses and the edge chips at the first sight of danger. It's just plain worse than other options. I'd rather have a knife in vg10 (which sharpens and maintains easily, takes a keen edge, is cheap, and is fairly stainless.) over s30v any day.
This was an interesting post to read. I agreed with you on basically everything, including preferring VG10 to S30V, but I'm curious how you formed your opinions on S30V?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hl3n-BtLoaI

If you have the time I'd be curious to hear your interpretation of how that video was possible :p
:unicorn
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:23 pm
Karl_H wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

Not really. Still comes down to people who just HAVE to have this shiny knife no matter the cost feeding into the scalpers game. There are so many great knives from Spyderco out there and so many new models, sprints, exclusives, etc constantly put out, it is foolish to spend above retail to buy a particular model. All rerunning exclusives does is limit the number of cool new combos we see. If BHQ just kept rerunning their Jade M4 PM2s and Para 3s we would have never seen the Dodo or Manix XL. St Nick's could have just kept rerunning the PM2, Para 3, and Shaman after so many complained about missing out, but then would wouldn't have got the Lil Native or Native LW. If you miss out, move on, something better and shinier is just around the corner. I refuse to buy on the secondary market.
When the supply is so limited relative to demand, the majority end up going to collectors and scalpers. Take the latest St Nicks exclusive that sold out 600 knives in less than 3 minutes, for example.

If earlier exclusives were rerun, the others would just have come a little bit later, and prices on the secondary market would not be so dear. It would also put an end to the server crashing feeding frenzies that are currently taking place. IMO, a worthwhile trade off.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Maybe we should make a new thread to brain storm alternatives to the current sprint format?

What if you could pay $25 a year to be able to reserve a spot in a sprint run, or something like that? Maybe only extend that offer to people who have been on the forums for a year+?

Just throwing ideas at the wall. Might be a fun discussion, and might keep this one from becoming a single track issue.

Imagine if they brought back the Ayoob folder after JD has been bugging Spyderco for it for year and years. Imagine they did a 600pc sprint and they sold out before he had a chance to get one. That's a really bad feeling for someone that comes here every day for years. I'd like to see a solution to that situation that doesn't involve hoping you'll only have to pay an extra $50 to buy that knife off someone that never intended to use it.
:unicorn
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Maybe we should make a new thread to brain storm alternatives to the current sprint format?

What if you could pay $25 a year to be able to reserve a spot in a sprint run, or something like that? Maybe only extend that offer to people who have been on the forums for a year+?

Just throwing ideas at the wall. Might be a fun discussion, and might keep this one from becoming a single track issue.

Imagine if they brought back the Ayoob folder after JD has been bugging Spyderco for it for year and years. Imagine they did a 600pc sprint and they sold out before he had a chance to get one. That's a really bad feeling for someone that comes here every day for years. I'd like to see a solution to that situation that doesn't involve hoping you'll only have to pay an extra $50 to buy that knife off someone that never intended to use it.
Hi Vivi,

i posted an similar idea in the UKPK Damast thread.
I think it whould be a way that real forum enthusiasts get knifes on fair conditions.