Police HAP40 and Pakkawood: KC Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Police HAP40 and Pakkawood: KC Exclusive

Post by JuPaul »

Burton Knut wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:04 pm
Received mine today as well. Looks incredible with near perfect fit and finish. Now it’s got me debating the Delica and or Dragonfly.
I've got both and they are beautiful! Plus I really like hap40 steel. They're among the few "will never sell" models in my collection. I've contemplated the ladybug many times. If the Police was a model I loved, I wouldn't hesitate to pay the premium for this version. I hope there are more models to come!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:17 pm
blueblur wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:02 pm
That looks great but the price seems very high. I believe the Endura went for $145 or so. I know the Police is a larger model but an $80 increase over the Endura seems a bit much.
The endura is available still (or again). Knifecenter does additional batches of popular exclusives (what a concept!). It's currently $168 but I don't know if they raised the price at some point.
I think prices went up across the board earlier this year.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

xceptnl wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:34 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:12 pm
Dang, that's not bad. Unfortunately, it's a bit out of my budget right now.

How about a Baby Horn in this combo?
This is an excellent suggestion for an exclusive.
I emailed them and said that we needed a Baby Horn and a Micro Dyad, haha.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

StuntZombie wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:38 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:17 pm
blueblur wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:02 pm
That looks great but the price seems very high. I believe the Endura went for $145 or so. I know the Police is a larger model but an $80 increase over the Endura seems a bit much.
The endura is available still (or again). Knifecenter does additional batches of popular exclusives (what a concept!). It's currently $168 but I don't know if they raised the price at some point.
I think prices went up across the board earlier this year.
I bought a Pakkawood Delica last year, some time around late winter/early spring and it was the same price as it is now. I would assume the Endura held steady as well, but can't say that with any confidence.

Anyway, this exclusive is calling my name. I still have a Police 4 G10 and use it a lot. I have enjoyed the Pakkawood knives very much and Hap40 is great stuff. Hopefully these scales don't smell like the Rex 45 Shaman exclusive did, because that would be a major deterrent for me. My Shaman still hasn't fully off-gassed. :(

What's better than a P4?

2 of them. :D
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Albatross wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:09 am
.....Anyway, this exclusive is calling my name. I still have a Police 4 G10 and use it a lot. I have enjoyed the Pakkawood knives very much and Hap40 is great stuff. Hopefully these scales don't smell like the Rex 45 Shaman exclusive did, because that would be a major deterrent for me. My Shaman still hasn't fully off-gassed. :(

What's better than a P4?

Yes sir! LW K390 will make three :D This one wasn't very "gassy" IMO:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Those scales look great abbazaba! Just enough darker grain to stand out, but not be overdone.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I really like this knife. And if I had the cash, I'd get it yesterday! But, I will not be getting one as I'm saving for other Spydercos.

That's all I'm saying....can't tip you off to my mission. Save, Save, Save!!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Albatross wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:09 am

I bought a Pakkawood Delica last year, some time around late winter/early spring and it was the same price as it is now. I would assume the Endura held steady as well, but can't say that with any confidence.

Anyway, this exclusive is calling my name. I still have a Police 4 G10 and use it a lot. I have enjoyed the Pakkawood knives very much and Hap40 is great stuff. Hopefully these scales don't smell like the Rex 45 Shaman exclusive did, because that would be a major deterrent for me. My Shaman still hasn't fully off-gassed. :(

What's better than a P4?

The Pakkawood series doesn't have a strong phenol smell like the Shaman Dymondwood handles did. I have a delica in Pakkawood that I haven't noticed any smell with. I returned the Shaman because of the gassy phenol/hydrocarbon smell.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:45 pm
Yes sir! LW K390 will make three :D This one wasn't very "gassy" IMO:
3 is an even better number! :D

Good to know that yours wasn't so stinky. Looks like I'll have to order one this weekend.
captnvegtble wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:53 pm

The Pakkawood series doesn't have a strong phenol smell like the Shaman Dymondwood handles did. I have a delica in Pakkawood that I haven't noticed any smell with. I returned the Shaman because of the gassy phenol/hydrocarbon smell.
The Delica I bought didn't have a smell, but the Shaman did. With some people complaining about G10 models (Cat) smelling the same as the Dymondwood Shaman, I was hoping the complaints were just one-offs. Good to know the P4 is much less offensive.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

For those of you who have this knife, I have a question for you. Do the scale screws screw into just the scales underneath? The reason I ask is I am thinking of getting the knife. My father is a skilled woodworker, and I would very much appreciate some scales from him. I just want to make sure that there is nothing "special" about the pakkawood scales.
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:18 pm
For those of you who have this knife, I have a question for you. Do the scale screws screw into just the scales underneath? The reason I ask is I am thinking of getting the knife. My father is a skilled woodworker, and I would very much appreciate some scales from him. I just want to make sure that there is nothing "special" about the pakkawood scales.
I don't have the wood version, but it appears built the same as the G10 model. The screws don't screw into the scales on the G10 model so I think you'd be able to install custom scales.
:unicorn
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:31 pm
I don't have the wood version, but it appears built the same as the G10 model. The screws don't screw into the scales on the G10 model so I think you'd be able to install custom scales.
Great. Thanks for the feedback.