St Nicks Native 5 4V Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Re: St Nicks Native 5 4V Lightweight

Post by dj moonbat »

JMM wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:59 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:32 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:24 pm
That was fast. Military model still to come?

I'd be shocked if we don't see a Military. But there are still many other models they haven't done so it is just a question of where it falls in the sequence.

I agree, given how fast these are selling out, I'll be amazed if we don't see a Chief, Millie, Dodo, Yojibo.... just like BHQ, and likely then some.... I hope! :D
It was a really smart choice of steel/colorway. Distinctive from all the other exclusive series.
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

There are already a lot of these on eBay. Looks like most of the early flippers are asking for > $200.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Karl_H wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 pm
There are already a lot of these on eBay. Looks like most of the early flippers are asking for > $200.
My only advice would be to absolutely not buy from the flippers and implore others to do the same.

If they cant sell their inventory for an extorted profit, they will eventually move on to another market.
-Nick :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:51 am
Karl_H wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 pm
My only advice would be to absolutely not buy from the flippers and implore others to do the same.

If they cant sell their inventory for an extorted profit, they will eventually move on to another market.

If only we could get this message out to the masses. :(
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
willc

Post by willc »

EF4B3F04-C8B9-49D7-88AF-CC08CA4ECD5A.jpeg
I can’t believe this arrived so quickly.

The black blade and hardware look nice.
Everything is good, centering, action, etc.

The Native lightweight is a great knife, if it had the wire clip it would be close to perfect.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

PSX_20200803_174226.jpg
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

willc wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:29 pm

The Native lightweight is a great knife, if it had the wire clip it would be close to perfect.
I completely agree that the Native LW needs a wire clip like many of the other LW format knives! Maybe the Native 6 LW??
willc

Post by willc »

samdasnake wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:00 pm
willc wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:29 pm

I completely agree that the Native LW needs a wire clip like many of the other LW format knives! Maybe the Native 6 LW??
The LW Native5 and Manix2 are my most carried Spyderco knives.
I hourglass clip doesn’t deter me from carrying the Native5 but I think it would carry and look better with a wire clip.

It really is cool SNK did the frn Native first, when I first saw it posted I was sure it was going to be g10.
Actually I have never owned a G10 Native.
I have more than a few G10 Manix’s and I really like them so some day I may try one one of the fancy Native’s.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hey St. Nick's knives! Thanks for bringing this to the market! How about an Endura next??? :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received mine today. It's definitely the most stiff Native 5 LW I've had. Not a complaint. Just an observation. I've loosened the pivot a little and put a drop of oil where the lock bar rides. Helped a little but it a ways to go. I'll take it apart if necessary to see what's up. I'll use it as is for awhile before I do anything else.

I've been waiting on this one for awhile. So I'm happy it's finally here
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:09 pm
I received mine today. It's definitely the most stiff Native 5 LW I've had. Not a complaint. Just an observation. I've loosened the pivot a little and put a drop of oil where the lock bar rides. Helped a little but it a ways to go. I'll take it apart if necessary to see what's up. I'll use it as is for awhile before I do anything else.

My Rex45 was exactly as you describe your StN4V. I did like you and a drop of oil right where the lockbar rides. Took a couple days, but it is now my smoothest open/close Native.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

PStone wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:54 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:

My Rex45 was exactly as you describe your StN4V. I did like you and a drop of oil right where the lockbar rides. Took a couple days, but it is now my smoothest open/close Native.
My REX45 was a little stiff but nothing like this one. I just compared the two and the REX is actually way better and I haven't really carried it or handled it much since I got. I currently have 3 other LWs (Maxamet, S35VN, & 2015 Forum) and they're all really smooth considering they're washer-less FRN knives. The S35VN is incredibly smooth and the others aren't far behind. I also had the Never Summer Native for a short time and I think I remember that one being really stiff out of the box too. So maybe it's the DLC? Like I said, I'll give it some more time before digging deeper. It's actually fine as is. I just prefer the blade to drop when I push the lock bar. The 4V doesn't budge at this point. I have to guide the blade down with my finger in the hole. I imagine it'll get there in time
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

Sharp Guy wrote:

Mine was also insanely stiff. Much more than any spyderco (or probably any other knife designed to be opened with one hand) that I own. I went to flick it open and that was a total no go. It requires a very surprising effort to even slow roll it open with my thumb. I haven’t had a chance to try aNd tune it yet. I didn’t love that but hopefully it will wear in and I can get some improvement from cleaning, lubing, and adjusting it. I’ll also note some of my DLC knives have been less smooth than their non DLC counterparts so perhaps that is a factor as mentioned above.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:16 pm
PStone wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

My REX45 was a little stiff but nothing like this one. I just compared the two and the REX is actually way better and I haven't really carried it or handled it much since I got. I currently have 3 other LWs (Maxamet, S35VN, & 2015 Forum) and they're all really smooth considering they're washer-less FRN knives. The S35VN is incredibly smooth and the others aren't far behind. I also had the Never Summer Native for a short time and I think I remember that one being really stiff out of the box too. So maybe it's the DLC? Like I said, I'll give it some more time before digging deeper. It's actually fine as is. I just prefer the blade to drop when I push the lock bar. The 4V doesn't budge at this point. I have to guide the blade down with my finger in the hole. I imagine it'll get there in time
Roger that. Makes sense about the dlc. I’m betting it’s thicker stuff than I think. Spydercos variances are so tight, I can understand why it would happen. Anyways, congrats on the score!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

AmpliFyre wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:09 am
https://www.stnicksknives.com/products/ ... -c41prdbk5

now we can talk about it.

when do we get to talk about the other one?? :confused: hopefully soon...
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Got mine today... Looks like I got the oddball, of the 3 N5 LWs I have this one was by far the smoothest out of the box. It was so free falling I actually tightened the pivot a hair.

Unlike my 4V lil Native which was probably the sharpest Spyderco I've ever received this one came fairly dull and the grind leaves a bit to be desired so it'll get a good sharpening before I give it a workout this weekend.

-Turbo
JMM

Post by JMM »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:16 pm
PStone wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

This is really interesting to hear... perhaps I've just gotten lucky but both my Rex45 & my 4V have been really smooth, in fact I adjust neither of them, which now that I think about it is super unusual. Sharpness wise I'd say it was fairly middle of the road, my Rex45 was definitely sharper OOTB.

Cheers,

John
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

So one strange thing about mine. It looks like Spyderco forgot to remove the extra plastic on the clip side clip holes. Like each one of them has a little bit of almost see thru red plastic partially covering the holes. It's no big deal but I've never seen anything like that - kinda a fit and finish fail. Otherwise knife is great.