Unpopular opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Unpopular opinions

Post by Ankerson »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:45 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:05 pm

There are certain vintage cars that are worth a lot of money, talking about $1 Million or more and they could lose a lot of value if they are driven. So there is always that issue.

That's a rich man's game though, not like MOST people could even buy a car like that now.

They are investments for them.
Or perhaps they are just conspicuous consumption -- a way to flaunt your wealth. In which case driving would be an even more effective way to flaunt your wealth -- "I can own this million dollar car, and I can drive it too, just because I am so rich. It doesn't matter to me if driving it causes it to lose its value".

People that actually have that kind of wealth, deposable wealth aren't that careless.

They didn't get that wealthy by being stupid.

Most people you see that try and act like they have money really don't.... All they have is a lot of debt.... A little hint.... MOST people you see driving those expensive cars are leasing them..... ;)

And a lot of people that really do have it you would never know it. ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:13 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

There are certain vintage cars that are worth a lot of money, talking about $1 Million or more and they could lose a lot of value if they are driven. So there is always that issue.

That's a rich man's game though, not like MOST people could even buy a car like that now.

Or perhaps they are just conspicuous consumption -- a way to flaunt your wealth. In which case driving would be an even more effective way to flaunt your wealth -- "I can own this million dollar car, and I can drive it too, just because I am so rich. It doesn't matter to me if driving it causes it to lose its value".

People that actually have that kind of wealth, deposable wealth aren't that careless.

Most people you see that try and act like they have money really don't.... All they have is a lot of debt....

So true!

I always felt if I somehow ever became rich, I wouldn’t really change much if anything about the clothes I wear, the car I drive, the way I act towards others, etc. Or the knives I carry. Then again, I’ve rarely ever cared what people think of me, and I certainly wouldn’t want to be known as ‘the rich guy’ and having leeches you don’t know and/or don’t even care about you coming out of the woodwork to be your “friends.” I’d rather nobody ever know but me and a few others who are on a need-to-know basis for legal reasons. Plus, people who show off by flaunting their apparent wealth are pathetically desperate for attention and achkowledgement.

Kind of back on topic, however someone enjoys their knives, as long as it’s not for criminal purposes, then more power to them. I have some knives that are used extensively, and some I never use. A couple for sentimental reasons. Mostly the ones I don’t use aren’t used because I like what I like, and the ones I don’t like as much are not used as much. Some other people don’t use their knife because they want it kept sharp for SD purposes. And that’s great, too. There are countless reasons that legitimate knife lovers buy and carry knives, and all are valid.

That said, I still won’t watch any more of the 5 million boring, overly-talkative knife unpackaging youtube videos anymore!

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:34 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Most people you see that try and act like they have money really don't.... All they have is a lot of debt....

So true!

I always felt if I somehow ever became rich, I wouldn’t really change much if anything about the clothes I wear, the car I drive, the way I act towards others, etc. Or the knives I carry. Then again, I’ve rarely ever cared what people think of me, and I certainly wouldn’t want to be known as ‘the rich guy’ and having leeches you don’t know and/or don’t even care about you coming out of the woodwork to be your “friends.” I’d rather nobody ever know but me and a few others who are on a need-to-know basis for legal reasons. Plus, people who show off by flaunting their apparent wealth are pathetically desperate for attention and achkowledgement.

Kind of back on topic, however someone enjoys their knives, as long as it’s not for criminal purposes, then more power to them. I have some knives that are used extensively, and some I never use. A couple for sentimental reasons. Mostly the ones I don’t use aren’t used because I like what I like, and the ones I don’t like as much are not used as much. Some other people don’t use their knife because they want it kept sharp for SD purposes. And that’s great, too. There are countless reasons that legitimate knife lovers buy and carry knives, and all are valid.

That said, I still won’t watch any more of the 5 million boring, overly-talkative knife unpackaging youtube videos anymore!

Jim

Jim,

I am the same way, if I was THAT wealthy nobody would ever know it for the same reasons you stated.

Normal house, normal cars, clothes etc.... I just wouldn't show it...

Yes there are way too many YT videos that are worthless and a waste of space on the internet.

And it just keeps getting worse as time goes on.

There are some very high quality YT reviews out there done by professionals and it really does show. One just has to look for those, mostly in the technology fields.. Massive difference all the way around...

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I get to see what people borrow on their house mortgages - many people who have all the toys and bling also have eye-watering debt.

A few years ago I went into a house recently vacated by a “celebrity reality tv couple” - you know the sort, who populate all the tabloids and glossy magazines with their 15 minutes or so of fame. All they had left was a load of junk and legal documents relating to people chasing their wedding debts ...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:02 pm
Hey Michael,

Thank you for your reply, though totally unnecessary on your behalf. I never realized you were an actual knife designer and apologize for feeling that I had overstepped my boundaries here. As I said, I meant no disrespect...which I'm glad you noted right away in your reply.

I just based your post off of what I've seen you post before, which Nick had pointed out...who am I to judge?? But I will say, I've always noticed your incredible and rare collection that you have and envy/respect that!

Thank you for being understanding and not taking my post the wrong way, as it easily could have. I'm also sorry for not realizing who you are and what you have accomplished in the knife world. You won't hear another peep out of me :o :cool:
Hi Rick,

No worries! All is good here, my friend. :) I also really appreciate your kind words, but I am not anyone special. I'm just a fellow Spyderco fan and knife-junkie like the rest of us. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Ankerson wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Most people you see that try and act like they have money really don't.... All they have is a lot of debt.... A little hint.... MOST people you see driving those expensive cars are leasing them..... ;)

Maybe -- and perhaps in most of the cases, I think you are right.

There is a middle ground of the "newly rich" that are into conspicuous consumption.

Or those that inherit it and didn't work for it.

I was working with a sharp realtor when I moved into the neighborhood where I am and he said, "you would be surprised how much "stealth wealth" there is in this part of town." Not that I am one of them -- I am probably bringing property values down in the neighborhood. But the phrase has stuck with me.

I don't see how a discussion of knives even gets into this territory. Someone with a safe full of knives that thinks they are sitting on an investment is just kidding themselves.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Do people really watch knife review videos on You Tube?

I did for a while, and I get a kick out of Nick Shabbaz, though I don't give his reviews any particular weight. But it was clear in short order that I was wasting time unless I just wanted to get a quick look at a knife in somebodies hand.

I should add this to my unpopular opinions -- "I think youtube knife videos are rubbish", but I don't think that is an unpopular opinion around here.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:08 pm

I did for a while, and I get a kick out of Nick Shabbaz, though I don't give his reviews any particular weight. But it was clear in short order that I was wasting time unless I just wanted to get a quick look at a knife in somebodies hand.

I should add this to my unpopular opinions -- "I think youtube knife videos are rubbish", but I don't think that is an unpopular opinion around here.
I agree, most are nothing more than any of us could do if we chose to. I do appreciate a few though. Gideonstactical was one of the first I came across with actual real world use. I enjoy his videos, a lot to do with camping.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:22 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

I agree, most are nothing more than any of us could do if we chose to. I do appreciate a few though. Gideonstactical was one of the first I came across with actual real world use. I enjoy his videos, a lot to do with camping.
I like to look up videos of bushcrafty fixed blades to get an idea of how good their geometry is, and gideonstactical is one I've come across a few times. His videos are good. They're informative and he does a good job of showing them in use.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:56 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:22 pm
I like to look up videos of bushcrafty fixed blades to get an idea of how good their geometry is, and gideonstactical is one I've come across a few times. His videos are good. They're informative and he does a good job of showing them in use.
I think you would really like his channel if you're not already sub'd. He reviews all sorts of folders, fixed blades, choppers, flashlights, camping equipment, tents, backpacks, etc. Sometimes he does weekend trips with his wife and young kids and reviews various kinds of gear all in one 15 minute video. Very all around knowledgeable guy and makes great videos overall.

-Rick
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

the next sprint run should be a ultra high carbide, non-PM steel. Do D7. Maybe the gargantuan carbide size unbroken by particle processing would make a difference, good and bad.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I look at YouTube videos after I decide to buy. I want to make sure that it is what I want, and to get some up close images of the entire knife. I'm usually right, and I make the purchase.

I unsubd from Shabazz a long time ago. I don't have anything nice to say about most of his reviews, so I'll just skip it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:04 pm
I look at YouTube videos after I decide to buy. I want to make sure that it is what I want, and to get some up close images of the entire knife. I'm usually right, and I make the purchase.

I unsubd from Shabazz a long time ago. I don't have anything nice to say about most of his reviews, so I'll just skip it.
Him and keithkevinken don't have anything worthy to provide, but usually get you a glimpse of a new knife before others. Nice to see them compare them alongside other knives so you can get the jist of the actual size. I can definitely watch both of them on mute though!

Edit... sometimes Nick's disassembly videos can be very helpful, I'll give him that.

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

CPM-3V is a great steel for a folder. Not sure if it is actually unpopular, but it can definitely be a polarizing opinion!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:18 pm
CPM-3V is a great steel for a folder. Not sure if it is actually unpopular, but it can definitely be a polarizing opinion!
I have no experience with 3V, how does it compare or differ from the 4V we've come to love from these St Nick's exclusives?

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:31 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:18 pm
I have no experience with 3V, how does it compare or differ from the 4V we've come to love from these St Nick's exclusives?

Easier to sharpen, more stainless, tougher, less wear resistance. I do love 4V, but I don't need that much wear resistance, so I prefer Cruwear or 3V. 3V is more similar to Cruwear than 4V in my opinion. Like Cruwear would be the love child of 3V and 4V. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Don't worry about your opinions being unpopular. Gotta be you. My opinion that blades are too thick, edges are too thick, and price/performance is too high is not shared by the vast majority of spydie buyers or designers. So I left for greener pastures. Which I found. I swing by here every six months or so out of curiosity, when I'm bored and see the bookmark on my phone. Follow your bliss.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

So many opinions, I jumped here from the first page, so it's all probably mentioned before, unpopular or not.
In order of importance (calculated by how many knife purchases I think they have prevented)
- clip placement and blade to handle ratio is more important than a (well placed) lanyard hole, especially on smaller blades.
- some times it's OK to prioritize cutting edge over finger choil, especially on the longer blades that have ample real-estate in the handle anyways.

Wow, those two are really the only real gripes I can recall, everything else is mostly nitpicking.

Oh, and youtube reviews are great! To have a multitude of experienced knife people with different perspectives on knives handle, compare and point out details you be hard pressed to capture in any other media, at the convenience of your fingertips is nothing short of amazing. I usually couldn't care less about their opinions, they are always somewhat tainted by subjective preferences. What I take away from the reviews, aside from the visual impression, is anything the reviewer can convey that I consider to be an objective and / or technical analysis of the knife. In my situation, where returning a knife often involves the timely and costly process of sending the knife half way around the world, anything you can learn before buying is pure gold.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Pacific Salt 2 is a downgrade.

It's like "New Coke".
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tucson Tom wrote:

I did for a while to mainly get a feel for size, but it's been a very long time since I bothered even with that. I don't even make them much anymore because it's kind of a waste of time, I don't have any aspirations of becoming a YouTuber or making a profit off a channel and really don't care if people like or dislike my "content" so that whole thing just isn't for me. I've made a few videos lately because sometimes a video is better proof than pictures and words, but I don't even talk in my videos anymore, I just try to get straight to the point of what the video is about and not waste anyone's time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David