SRS-15 / SRS-13 ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: SRS-15 / SRS-13 ?

Post by JD Spydo »

Forgive me if this question has been asked previously. I used to own one of the Cold Steel bowies with a San Mai steel. I never used it much because I mainly used my Cold Steel Trailmaster with Carbon V and it was quite adequate for what I was using it for.

With that said what is the main advantage of a laminated San Mai type of steel? Oh I'm sure it would have more tensile strength but other than that what would be the main advantage?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:54 am

With that said what is the main advantage of a laminated San Mai type of steel? Oh I'm sure it would have more tensile strength but other than that what would be the main advantage?
History.
Traditions.
Culture.

Main reason was to have hard core with softer outer layers, for strength.
Secondary, if you have tool/carbon steel, stainless outer layers will protect it from corrosion.
Other than that, I am not sure if there some other benefits to San Mai. Maybe less steel needed for one blade, but than again you have to weld everything together, so the price is even.
It is just japanese thing I guess. Like every other thing in USA have stars and lines on it, every other thing in Japan is made in San Mai :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I wonder what the chances are to get Spy27 and SRS-13 mules before the end of the year? I need my mule fix :o
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

I'm just eager to see some Seki sprints
archangel

Post by archangel »

DF needs to be added to my spydiefamily again, so count me in! ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

well seeing as it's extremely close to Sg2/R2 steel, which is my favorite kitchen knife steel, I'm all in! may I suggest a Spydiechef sprint cladded in damascus?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:05 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:54 am

History.
Traditions.
Culture.

Main reason was to have hard core with softer outer layers, for strength.
Secondary, if you have tool/carbon steel, stainless outer layers will protect it from corrosion.
Other than that, I am not sure if there some other benefits to San Mai. Maybe less steel needed for one blade, but than again you have to weld everything together, so the price is even.
It is just japanese thing I guess. Like every other thing in USA have stars and lines on it, every other thing in Japan is made in San Mai :D
I think you are right on every observation you made. I came extremely close to getting one of Cold Steel's Gurkha Kukri models that was available in a layered San Mai>> but I thought the price was a bit lofty.

And I'm sure that layered, laminated blades have incredible tensile strength as well. I would love to see the TEMPERANCE 1 model brought back either in one of these blade steels or LC200N. In SE & PE of course.

Having a really hard high carbon core makes sense as well. I still like my original Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr with ZDP being the core and 420 being the outer layer. It's worked great for me. IF there are other advantages I would sure love to hear about them.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

One more thought about San Mai and stainless steel. Yes, it is kinda senseless to clad already stainless steel with stainless steel, but the SUS410 should be more stain resistant that most cutlery stainless steels, and the package should be more though than monolithic blade.

And, let's not forget that maybe there is just not SRS 13 available in unclad format.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:55 pm
I was thinking to do the entire Endura family as a Sprint? Which is growing lately with the addition of the P4 and the Endela, and more if you include Wharncliffe's. Plus we've got the Rock Jumper coming this year. Maybe a dark brown?

sal
Dark brown definitely. Eat a piece of Hershey’s dark chocolate for inspiration.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

How about a midnight forest green? I think I made that up, but makes sense to me so... :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would buy the usually delica and dragonfly if the endure family gets this run
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'd certainly be interested in this steel. The upcoming K390 has me ready to buy now, but this steel/color combo (thinking Hershey brown) would be a win for me. I understand the ease of getting this in the Delica/Endura family, but could this potentially be seen in the Caly frame? 3 or 3.5
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Does the cladding make it easier to work with?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:46 pm
Does the cladding make it easier to work with?
I know it makes surface grinding easier in the factory so I would say yes.
*Landon*
sal

Post by sal »

We'll do a Mule Team first. Need to see reaction.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:34 pm

sal
Well count me in.
*Landon*
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

sal wrote:

sal
:D <------this is my reaction to this news!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:

sal

Has there ever been a San Mai Clad Mule Team?? Will this one be clad? If no, then I will buy one for sure.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:09 pm
sal wrote:

sal

Has there ever been a San Mai Clad Mule Team?? Will this one be clad? If no, then I will buy one for sure.
I may be wrong, but I think the cobalt special(?)
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Mule? Interesting. If not for the stupidly high customs and other taxes I could buy one....but right now I don't feel like spending 30 % + on top of base price. Shame, but I wait for the folder line to come (hopefully) in the future.