The Galley-V, where to now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

The Galley-V, where to now?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I’ve been looking at a proper sharpening system for a while now, the new(ish) galley-v looks to be exactly what I’ve been looking for. Especially since I’m a cook by trade. So what I’m wondering is if there are plans to make a complete set of rods for it. Because I think this is a real knock out of the park in terms of design.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Bill1170

Re: The Galley-V, where to now?

Post by Bill1170 »

The Galley-V appears to be strictly a maintenance platform. Used regularly on knives in good condition, the coarser rods aren’t needed. For plain edges in bad shape, reprofiling on bench stones is a good option. Sharpmaker (in vee configuration) won’t do because the Galley-V is at 20 degrees inclusive.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's threads like this one that make me wonder if a larger sized, larger scale version of the 204 Sharpmaker might be excellent for people that make their living with knives. Especially for chefs, cooks and people in the meat cutting trades.

If I were a chef I would be somewhat turned off to the 204 Sharpmaker because it is a bit of an inconvenience to sharpen really big culinary knives on the current 204 Sharpmaker unit.

Now I tend to slightly disagree with "Bill" about the Galley V. I also think that a Galley V kit with more grit selections of stones might be great for people in the culinary and meat cutting trades.

I've had one of the original GALLEY V kits since the late 90s and I like it for bigger blades. But then again with a 204 Sharpmaker about twice it's size might just be perfect for larger cutlery.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I was tempted to get one, but I definitely would have to get the coarser rods for it to be useful for me.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

For whatever reason I didn't take the time to read up on the Galley V until I saw this thread, now I know its for kitchen knives and I'm very interested; if there were coarse stones available it would be an instant buy, for now its on the short list.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Would the Gauntlet rods fit?
PStone

Post by PStone »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:58 am
Would the Gauntlet rods fit?
They will. They are shorter, but will work just fine. Quote from Sal:
sal wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:15 pm
Hi PStone,

Same config, different lengths. They should be interchangeable

sal
sal

Post by sal »

I've used the CBN Cat's eye stones in the Galley V to re-profile edges.

sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:10 am

sal
This is interesting. CBN cat’s eye stones in 12” length would be a welcome add-on to the Galley-V sharpener. I imagine great care would be required when reprofiling serrations to avoid stripping the abrasive from the rod.

For careful dark-siders a 10 degree sharpening bevel with 15 degree microbevel could be very performant on their folder, and easy to attain with a Galley-V plus a 204 Sharpmaker.

All my knives are at 15 degrees per side or less.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

sal wrote:

sal

Thank you, Sal.
Is an Ultra Fine stone set in the works, possibly, for this new Galley-V 600F?
I just got one ordered last week, and it should be here this next mid-week. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:43 pm
sal wrote:

sal

Thank you, Sal.
Is an Ultra Fine stone set in the works, possibly, for this new Galley-V 600F?
I just got one ordered last week, and it should be here this next mid-week. :spyder:
I too would love to see an Ultra-Fine stone for the GALLEY V. I've also been waiting and hoping for an Ultra-Fine version of the GOLDENSTONE as well.

I've been extremely pleased with all the Ultra-Fine Spyderco stones I own and use. The only one I don't have yet is that big 308 UF Benchstone.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Since I don't own a sharpmaker or a gauntlet, the timing on the GalleyV is perfect. That coupled with the ability to upgrade to the CBN rods will make this the top of my Christmas list for 2020.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:28 pm
Since I don't own a sharpmaker or a gauntlet, the timing on the GalleyV is perfect. That coupled with the ability to upgrade to the CBN rods will make this the top of my Christmas list for 2020.
Hey good to say you back posting again Brother :) We've got to beat the drum on this one. If I could get a new Galley V with stones in at least 4 different grits that would be super for bigger culinary blades to say the least.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

These will be my first experience with the cat-eye stone profile but it should function just as well as my 701s did. I still use those weekly, sometimes daily.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:34 pm
These will be my first experience with the cat-eye stone profile but it should function just as well as my 701s did. I still use those weekly, sometimes daily.
If you have a Dodo model and I'm sure you said once you did. You wouldn't believe how sharp you can get that Dodo model with one of those Cat's Eye stones. Which is why I would really like to see those type of stones in more grit selections. I really struggled when I got my first Dodo model back around 2003. Then one evening I was doing some kitchen knives with my older GALLEY V kit and I discovered that the shape of those Cat's Eye stones are a perfect shape for sharpening the Dodo and a couple of other Reverse S blades too.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:13 pm

This is interesting. CBN cat’s eye stones in 12” length would be a welcome add-on to the Galley-V sharpener. I imagine great care would be required when reprofiling serrations to avoid stripping the abrasive from the rod.
Hey, Bill1170:

We actually don't recommend using the edges of the CBN cat's eye stones, even for serrations. The CBN cuts very aggressively and can reduce the definition of the serration pattern. This is explained in the Gauntlet instruction manual.

Stay safe,

Mike
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I can well imagine many people just screwing the Galley to a wooden block to create a 20 degree Sharpmaker.....
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:08 am
Bill1170 wrote:

Hey, Bill1170:

We actually don't recommend using the edges of the CBN cat's eye stones, even for serrations. The CBN cuts very aggressively and can reduce the definition of the serration pattern. This is explained in the Gauntlet instruction manual.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you, Michael. This is good to know. Does Spyderco offer brown rods for/with the Galley-V sharpener? (I really like the idea of 12” rods for kitchen knives.)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:08 am
Bill1170 wrote:

Hey, Bill1170:

Stay safe,

Mike
That's interesting Mr. Janich because I have used the edges of the "Cat's Eye" stones for sharpening the serrations on a couple of short bladed models. But all I used was the edges on the "Fine" grit Galley V stones >> I've never yet used the Cat's Eye version of the CBN stone you're referring to. Again I love those Cat's Eye stones for the Dodo model and some other Reverse S models as well.

But you make a good point that the Galley V is a specialized type of sharpening tool for sure. Probably best used mostly for culinary blades. I always enjoy and learn from your feedback Mr. Janich :)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, JD Spydo:

The edges of the CERAMIC cat's eye stones are definitely intended for sharpening serrations. The edges of the CBN ones are not. The instructions for the Gauntlet and Galley-V both explain this, but reading instructions isn't everyone's thing--at least at first.

Stay safe,

Mike