Name your favorite sprint run series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Name your favorite sprint run series

Post by wrdwrght »

I never graduated to the “sprint run series” idea. I prefer the flexibility that single sprint events give me. I can say no without FOMO rearing its ugly head over my ugly head. :)
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Rex 45.

In exclusives, I have other views, but I think the Rex 45 sprints are my favorite so far. At least until Spyderco discovers the next amazing sprint they'll do. :)
Nate

Post by Nate »

The solid Super Blue Calys have always been my favorite.
:spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

How many does there need to be for it to be considered a series?

True to form for me I really have no favorites. I have several from the burnt orange/HAP40 series and some from the burnt orange/REX45. So I guess technically they should be my favorite despite the fact that I don't really care for the color. The grey/Cruwear PM2 & Para 3 are great and probably my most used in those models. I also have 3 of the V-Toku 2 models that I like too. For one-offs the tan micarta/Cruwear Shaman and green/HAP40 Caly 3 are ones that that won't be leaving my collection any time soon. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

The foliage green series they did a long time ago. There was a C95 Manix, Schempp Kuhkri, UKPK, Endura, Delica and others I'm forgetting.

It's my second favorite color for knives, first being black. I'd love to see them bring it back in some way.
:unicorn
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yes vivi the foliage green was a great color g10!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I realized I don’t own any sprints, just dealer exclusives. I resist the FOMO successfully, feel it would upset my equanimity. Of the exclusives I have, the BBS Paramilitary 2 in M390 with smurf blue scales is my favorite.

I’m grateful that Spyderco made S110V a production steel so anyone can try it out. Sprints and exclusives, well, they exclude a lot of potential users from having the experience.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:32 pm
The foliage green series they did a long time ago. There was a C95 Manix, Schempp Kuhkri, UKPK, Endura, Delica and others I'm forgetting.

It's my second favorite color for knives, first being black. I'd love to see them bring it back in some way.
FWIW, I'm pretty sure the only foliage green G10 knives that were actually sprints were the Manix & JD Smith. All the others (Kuhkri, Barong, Rock Lobster, Dragonfly, Delica, Endura, UKPK, Urban, plus ?) were all regular production models

SG89

Post by SG89 »

The foliage green Rookie was a sprint
Spydergirl88
Holland

Post by Holland »

The Hap40 burnt orange run was my favourite so far.

The K390 run will likely take the number 1 spot
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:

Don´t know if the foliage green Endura was a sprint or not, but your post made me recall that I had a comboedged once for quite some time. Eventually gave it to a lady who really loved that knife... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:13 pm
Yep forgot about that one. There were foliage green C36 Military & C81 Para Military sprint runs too.

Spyderco's done a lot of Foliage Green! :)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Rex45 and hap40.
Looking forward to the k390 run.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

No one favorite. My favorites: Micarta/Cruwear, CF/S90V, Light Grey/Cruwear, Dark Gray/Maxamet.

Ok, if I had to pick a fav that I own, Light Gray/Cruwear. Fav that I don't own, Micarta/Cruwear.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

vivi wrote:

Oh hey, Vivi is back. Cool.
JMM

Post by JMM »

The Rex45 sprints, both of 'em -- followed by the Carbon Fibre / S90V series
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Wouldn't the mule project fall into this category? I would think it does becuz every release there is only a certain number made. The collectors and the flippers are usually absent in these releases. No offense to any collectors out there, but the mules are not exactly safe queens. Also the design hasn't changed either, it doesn't need to. What the mule project has is a following of good people if not great ppl at the the wheel. Everything else falls behind that imo. For me the rex45 military run would be my choice after that. I ended up buying a pm2 used like a year and a half after the run was released. I'm always going to remember reading up about rex45 in the cancer center waiting rooms. The guy I bought it from butchered the edge pretty bad and it took a good effort to get it back on track. In use I enjoy the performance I'm able to achieve. I wasn't thrilled about the pumpkin colored scales, but after some time I noticed them starting to build a character of their own. Really enjoy rex45 a lot, and I have jumped on the most recent releases as much as I could.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
I really covet that rookie. It looks like such an awesome little knife, and I love the fg g10 scales. Don't you have a Worker with the same? Another awesome-looking knife.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:50 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I really covet that rookie. It looks like such an awesome little knife, and I love the fg g10 scales. Don't you have a Worker with the same? Another awesome-looking knife.
It's a forest green worker but I'd trade it for a foliage green Rookie in a second
Spydergirl88
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Would be cool to see the Rookie join the K390 production series! I've been wanting to see a K390 Rookie sprint for a long time now but maybe its actually ready for another round in the production lineup. I think it would look great in cobalt G10. ;)
-Nick :bug-red