Where's the 3V?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kerrcobra

Re: Where's the 3V?

Post by kerrcobra »

I'd like to see a 3V Police 4 with a smooth G10 or a Micarta handle.
--Jeremy
JMM

Post by JMM »

I was curious about 3V and picked up a Spyderco 3V Tuff and promptly sold it about a month later... It's a neat knife design, and if the Tuff model were made with a different tool steel like 4V or Rex45 I would totally buy one, but IMO 3V has no place in a folder. If you wanted a fixed blade camping knife that you could baton the crap out of, then I say 3V all the way. It's edge retention is pretty on par with my decade old 154cm Manix... Just my 2c from personal experience.

Cheers,

John
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

While 3v may not be thee optimal folding knife steel, most aren't. Some steels are better for specific applications, but a good numbee of blade steels are simply outclassed by one steel or another, yet we still see a wide array of options. Knife enthusiasts like variety.

3v is absolutely good enough, and different enough to warrant inclusion in this thing we do. I don't understand the movement to surpress it's use.
blues

Post by blues »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:21 pm
While 3v may not be thee optimal folding knife steel, most aren't. Some steels are better for specific applications, but a good numbee of blade steels are simply outclassed by one steel or another, yet we still see a wide array of options. Knife enthusiasts like variety.

3v is absolutely good enough, and different enough to warrant inclusion in this thing we do. I don't understand the movement to surpress it's use.
Commie infiltrators, obviously.

3V...it smells like...Victory!

:p
- Retired from the chase -
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:21 pm

I don't think people are to "suppress its use". Spyderco's resources are limited, so the use of one steel will temporarily reduce the production resources available to make knives in other steels. So, the people who don't expect to benefit from the use of 3V or buy knives in 3V would prefer that limited production resources be spent on other steels.

If Spyderco has to choose among 3V, Z-wear, and 4V for the next series of Golden folding knife sprints, I would prefer that they use 4V.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Karl_H wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:07 pm
If Spyderco has to choose among 3V, Z-wear, and 4V for the next series of Golden folding knife sprints, I would prefer that they use 4V.
Me too. 4v is my all around favorite.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Commie infiltrators, obviously.
Yep

I've had discussions with people with the viewpoint that 3V only has toughness going for it and is a waste in folders. I obviously disagree but have mostly moved on.

I'll take it in a folder as quickly as I will Cruwear or 4V. IMO it's one of the best all around knife steels and rivals Cruwear for balance. The only thing I wouldn't recommend it for is high rc's and red hardness which is why we have steel like Rex 45 and CPM M4.

3V even has near stainless levels of corrosion resistance and does moderately well with thin edges and good stability. Better than almost all stainless for edge stability with the exception of ones with lower wear resistance such as 13C/AEBL.

Joe
blues

Post by blues »

^^^^^
I'm with you, Joe.

I'll also look forward to adding some 4V when the opportunity presents so I can compare with my 3V and Cru-Wear.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yep, I don't think anyone is saying it is the end-all be-all folder steel, or that it should even be a production steel for folders. Just saying that it is plenty good for a lot of different folder models, so some sprints and exclusives in CPM-3V would be encouraged. I can guarantee they would sell out immediately as long as they don't try something silly like smooth G10 or saber grinds. Plain old solid colored Peel Ply G10, FRN, or matte micarta paired with a CPM-3V blade is a recipe for success.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see some 3v sprints of fixed blades. A 3v Proficient or 3v South Fork would be an amazing outdoors knife. A 3v Serrata would be pretty cool too.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The 3v name inspires feelings of an "invincible" blade steel that is impossible to chip and break...:D

The reality is that it's impact toughness drops to 4v levels at ~62rc as can be seen in your Knife Engineering books on pg 47
So if it's gunna be run at 62 why not use 4v? :D

Keeping the 3v blade in it's highest impact toughness HRC range under 60rc compromises the edge stability for extra ductility(shock resistance for the whole blade) the edge however will yield badly in use compared to 4v which will hold it's edge shape better and resist wear better with heavy cutting.

3v edge after abuse. Edge yielded badly, not gunna strop out.

Variety is the spice of life however, 3v it up boys. :D
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

CPM 4V F O R E V E R!

(Ignore me, I'm bias :D)
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

It’s unfortunate that Larrin doesn’t seem to have CVN impact toughness data at 64-66 HRC.

From what I can tell, other knife makers that use 3V currently seem to be heat treating to 60-62 HRC.

IMO, CVN impact toughness >= 15 ft-lbs is probably universely adequate for folders. Increases to CVN impact toughness beyond 30 ft-lbs probably will not have much tangible benefit, as the edge will almost always fail by plastic deformation.

For context, most structural specifications use a “bend before break” approach, which requires a minimum toughness to ensure brittle fracture will not occur before the steel deforms.
blues

Post by blues »

You've got a lot of nerve, Shawn. Lotta nerve. Don't let me catch you around these parts after sundown. Savvy?

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blues wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:50 am
You've got a lot of nerve, Shawn. Lotta nerve. Don't let me catch you around these parts after sundown. Savvy?

I think he gets kickbacks from St Nicks! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
blues

Post by blues »

Eventually I'll pick up one of their offerings in 4V. Last time I got booted in the middle of checkout. C'est la vie.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

blues wrote:

Now you listen here Mr Spyderco Lawdog, 3v just don't go round here :p :D

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
blues

Post by blues »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:55 am
blues wrote:

Now you listen here Mr Spyderco Lawdog, 3v just don't go round here :p :D

Well played, Ike.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:47 pm
The 3v name inspires feelings of an "invincible" blade steel that is impossible to chip and break...:D

The reality is that it's impact toughness drops to 4v levels at ~62rc as can be seen in your Knife Engineering books on pg 47
So if it's gunna be run at 62 why not use 4v? :D

Keeping the 3v blade in it's highest impact toughness HRC range under 60rc compromises the edge stability for extra ductility(shock resistance for the whole blade) the edge however will yield badly in use compared to 4v which will hold it's edge shape better and resist wear better with heavy cutting.

3v edge after abuse. Edge yielded badly, not gunna strop out.

Variety is the spice of life however, 3v it up boys. :D

Is this based on the heat treat used by Nathan Carothers (and others like Survive!) on his Delta 3V knives? My understanding is that the Delta heat treat yields improved edge stability while keeping toughness roughly the same. He runs his 3" EDC fixed at 61-62 HRC. I think something like this in a folder would be a very worthwhile. I'd love to see a Military with Delta 3V.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yup. When I think of 3v at its best, I think of Delta 3v
Big difference from what I understand