Loving my wharnies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Loving my wharnies

Post by foofie »

I had these knives out for a different pic, so thought I would take a family photo. Little mods to each (or big ones?) has made each a keeper. Dfly is ZDP, delica is Hap-40, and the endura is the only vg-10 I think I own :eek:
I think the k390 series will eventually be released in wharncliffes as well? I might have to get the whole set if so.

Sumdumguy

Re: Loving my wharnies

Post by Sumdumguy »

I am (im)patiently waiting for the Rockjumper.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'd love to see the Dragonfly wharnie in K390.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I know Sal has confirmed the k390 wharnie delica. Haven't seen any confirmation of the wharnie dragonfly - but lots of suggestion that it is one of the models in the works. My fingers are crossed.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Interesting how clearly more negative the blade angle of the Endura wharncliff seems to be compared to the other two knives in the pic.
I was not even aware of that more negative angle till Vivi pointed it out to me. I am sure that that this is a feature I´d like over the more neutral angle of the "regular" Endura (my favorite folder ever together with the Stretch 1) and combined with the ffg SE option a strong point for the wharnie Endura...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:14 pm
I am (im)patiently waiting for the Rockjumper.
So do I. Looks like a perfect option for me (except it could offer about 10 mm more cutting edge, but not a deal breaker at all)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

wharncliffes are always the best cutters. wonderful working blades.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Yup. Anxiously awaiting the serrated rock jumper
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:06 pm
Interesting how clearly more negative the blade angle of the Endura wharncliff seems to be compared to the other two knives in the pic.
I was not even aware of that more negative angle till Vivi pointed it out to me. I am sure that that this is a feature I´d like over the more neutral angle of the "regular" Endura (my favorite folder ever together with the Stretch 1) and combined with the ffg SE option a strong point for the wharnie Endura...

The pronounced negative angle combined with the long wharncliffe (Edit: FFG SE ;) ) blade really makes it a beast (trying not to over-hype it). I hope you try it out. Even if it's not your favorite blade shape, I have a feeling you'll really appreciate the unique performance.
Last edited by PeaceInOurTime on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Wartstein wrote:
I also really appreciate the negative blade angle on the Endura. The Dragonfly is not a fair comparison, since it started life as a leaf and the wharncliffe edge was brought up to the existing tip. The delica is pretty straight and seems to work well for that size knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've often wondered if the older Spyderco "Breeden RESCUE" model would qualify as a Wharnie? I know one thing had they offered that Breeden RESCUE in full SE it would still be in the main line up.

Also I've kind of considered all my sheepsfoot Spyderco models kind of in the same league as Wharnie designs.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I love wharnies too. Anxiously waiting for the release of the next round of Swaybacks from my favorite retailer.
Rab

Post by Rab »

Is there a big difference between Rock jumper and wharnie Delica?
Red

Post by Red »

Wartstein wrote:
Wow, just noticed that blade angle after reading your post. Now I have to add a Wharnie Endura to my never-ending Spyderco want list :)
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
Red

Post by Red »

Also a Wharnie fan here! This little guy rolls with me alot at work. Just seems to cut thicker materials with less effort than some more traditional models.
24999A5B-6C39-4A91-96B0-D780825AD83D.jpeg
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:

I'm really not a fan of the handle myself, but I would definitely consider the wharnie Endura over a Pacific if you're not looking for rust proof steel. That knife is bordering on hawkbill level pull cutting power with how strong it angles downward. Nothing is going to slip off that blade before it gets cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Red wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wow, just noticed that blade angle after reading your post. Now I have to add a Wharnie Endura to my never-ending Spyderco want list :)

Do yourself as favor and make it SE !!!!!

And as said: Did not notice that negative angle myself, till Vivi and others pointed it out!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:05 am
Wartstein wrote:

I'm really not a fan of the handle myself, but I would definitely consider the wharnie Endura over a Pacific if you're not looking for rust proof steel. That knife is bordering on hawkbill level pull cutting power with how strong it angles downward. Nothing is going to slip off that blade before it gets cut.

Thanks, David!
I DO happen to really like the E4 handle and ffg SE, an ffg SE "regular" Endura is seemingly not likely in the near future, "Peaceinourtime" is working hard to convince me anyway ;), and now that negative angle... Not much left that would speak against a wharnie Endura SE... :rolleyes:

EDIT: And in my use and enviroment VG10 is practically totally rustproof anyway...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:32 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:05 am
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks, David!
I DO happen to really like the E4 handle and ffg SE, an ffg SE "regular" Endura is seemingly not likely in the near future, "Peaceinourtime" is working hard to convince me anyway ;), and now that negative angle... Not much left that would speak against a wharnie Endura SE... :rolleyes:

EDIT: And in my use and enviroment VG10 is practically totally rustproof anyway...

I think if LC200N and H1 weren't options anymore, VG10 would be high on my list for SE.

This has me really hoping for a Rock Jumper XL :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David