Book on metallurgy and knifemaking by Larrin Thomas

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

Re: Book on metallurgy and knifemaking by Larrin Thomas

Post by Larrin »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:47 pm
My copy was delivered today but I won't be able to pick it up for a few days!
Oh no!
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Larrin wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:56 am
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:47 pm
My copy was delivered today but I won't be able to pick it up for a few days!
Oh no!
Fortunately, I was able to get a relative to secure it for me, so it will be safe until I can pick it up. :cool:
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

For people inclined to TL;DR: “edge geometry is the most important element of knife performance”.

While many other mysteries are tamed here, H1’s are not...

Maybe this book will encourage Myodo to send some H1 to Larrin for characterization?

Thanks, Larrin, for empowering us.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

My copy is en route...I've learned so much from Larrin's articles, I'm sure his book will be a wealth of information!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I just ordered a copy too. I was browsing some of the preview pages and I like how he carried over a quick summary section at the end of the topics. Looking forward to this one.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Larrin wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:06 pm
I’ve never fancied myself a knife designer.

I do think there’s a hole in the market when it comes to knife design books though. I wish someone with expertise in that area would write a whole book on knife and handle design. Or maybe a book on influential knife designs and why they made an impact.
sal wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:08 am
Hi SubMicron,

I'm open. I've been trying to get a collaboration going with Cliff Stamp for years. Haven't made much progress.

sal

I like the idea of a book about handle design. Frankly its something I dont know a whole lot about.

I'm not in contact with Cliff, hopefully he reads this forum. I like that Spyderco wants to partner with various people in the community. I think doing so is important.

If Larrin were to pursue such a thing, it would be interesting to me to see what kind of blade design he would come up with. My assumption is that he'd take a very technical approach to designing an effective cutting tool. No doubt Spyderco can provide handle and lock solutions.

Hopefully this all plants some seeds... More ideas and more options is always a good thing.

If you were designing a Spyderco for yourself, for your own usage profile, what would it be and why?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

SubMicron wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:16 pm
If you were designing a Spyderco for yourself, for your own usage profile, what would it be and why?
I’ve never really felt there was some major knife design or feature missing in the market that really needed filling. I’ve seen some people complain recently that there are too many steels coming out (with only a small handful over the past 5 years). There are so many more knives that come out I don’t know why it’s cool to say there’s too much in terms of steel choice.

I am not particularly creative with design. When I made a few knives for sale more than a decade ago they were relatively traditional looking kitchen knives with Japanese-style blade shapes. As for folders I like slim knives with ~3” blades and thin edges (of course).
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Larrin wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:06 pm
SubMicron wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:16 pm
I’ve never really felt there was some major knife design or feature missing in the market that really needed filling. I’ve seen some people complain recently that there are too many steels coming out (with only a small handful over the past 5 years). There are so many more knives that come out I don’t know why it’s cool to say there’s too much in terms of steel choice.

I am not particularly creative with design. When I made a few knives for sale more than a decade ago they were relatively traditional looking kitchen knives with Japanese-style blade shapes. As for folders I like slim knives with ~3” blades and thin edges (of course).

If it sounds like I'm trying to talk you into doing it, I am.

I feel that many knives and brands overall have too much creativity, to the point where it impedes functionality.

Coincidentally there's a huge market for the type of knife you described. As far as good ideas go, we often don't control when we get them so if one emerges for you, its good to know that Spyderco will consider it.

Thanks again for taking the time to write the book.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

:D
-Nick :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Arrived just in time for a rainy weekend in which all the Cardinals games are canceled.

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Nice, yes it will be interesting to see the discussions elevated more. There are lots of details I'd enjoy discussing with folks but needs more prerequisite information before it can be discussed.

It will also be interesting to see what topics will capture peoples imagination.

-Shawn

SubMicron wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:59 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:41 pm
SubMicron wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:52 pm
Mine showed up today!
Very nice :D , whatcha think?
I've only begun to read and page through the book. Larrin seems to go over pretty much everything, and it's all presented in a way that's similar to his website. It's easy enough to read and understand and he gets to the point.

It would appear that this is the next step for anyone who is trying to further their understanding on this subject matter. I'm sure that it will also serve as a good point of reference for those who are more well versed with knife making and blade steels and no doubt will further their understanding as well.

There's a lot of data in the book and its pretty easy to jump around and find what you're looking for. After all, it's not a storybook, so that's pretty important to me.

I generally am not a reader of books, however I'm glad that this is available in a traditional book form. This is significantly easier than trying to extract and piece together all of this stuff from the internet and it gives my eyes a break from a screen.

With that being said, if this were available in electronic form, I'd purchase that as well just for the purpose of portability.

Generally speaking, I think that demystifying the subject of Knife Engineering, which obviously is the title of the book, is the best method of growing the whole market for blade based tools over the long term. I hope that every knife YouTuber reads this book as well as anyone who's in the business of making or selling knives.

Hopefully over time it also helps to elevate the level of discourse and quality of information on the various different web forums and social media platforms where people discuss such things.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I was pleased to get mine yesterday. I have only started to read a bit of it, but looking forward to spending more time with it soon.
IMG_20200731_163156.jpg
foofie

Post by foofie »

Mine arrived as well. Definitely a bit heftier than I originally thought. Luckily there are plenty of pictures :D

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My copy will be here Wednesday. Looking forward to jumping in
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Mine came on Thursday!

--Jeremy
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Just got mine delivered today. I told my wife she may not be able to speak to me this weekend.
20200801_161049.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

It took a while to get it and take a quick look but Larrin's book is now on the shelf right next to "Tool Steels" which was pretty much the reference most makers interested in heat treating their own blades. It is also now a text book for students and practicing metallurgists. Larrin's book is of course more directed to knives and their design. This is the reference we wished we had 25 plus years ago and his detailed work on heat treating numerous blade steels would have save a lot of time and test coupons. It is clearly written and organized with numerous graphs and illustrations. Thanks Larrin and I recommend this book for anyone interested in knives and engineering in general. Phil
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:06 am
It took a while to get it and take a quick look but Larrin's book is now on the shelf right next to "Tool Steels" which was pretty much the reference most makers interested in heat treating their own blades. It is also now a text book for students and practicing metallurgists. Larrin's book is of course more directed to knives and their design. This is the reference we wished we had 25 plus years ago and his detailed work on heat treating numerous blade steels would have save a lot of time and test coupons. It is clearly written and organized with numerous graphs and illustrations. Thanks Larrin and I recommend this book for anyone interested in knives and engineering in general. Phil

Got mine in the other day. :)

Having done too much other than thumb through some of it so far, but it looks to be a very solid reference. :cool:
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:06 am
Thanks Phil, your recommendations carry a lot of weight.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I received mine!

Back when I was getting into the knife hobby more deeply, I did a fair bit of reading of John Verhoeven, Cliff Stamp, Roman Landes, and Sal of course - and others.

This is the resource I wish I’d had back then.

And I’m very glad we have it now. :cool: :)

I see it’s not the first time my volume has appeared on these pages, though! ;)
Enactive wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:38 pm
I was pleased to get mine yesterday. I have only started to read a bit of it, but looking forward to spending more time with it soon.

IMG_20200731_163156.jpg
Thank you brother - your kind and gracious gift is very much appreciated! Cool postcard too... :) :cool:

I’d also be keen to see Larrin do some research into the H1 SE questions that I’m sure many other members are also curious about.

Is SE H1 harder towards the edge, and if so, by how much?

If the steel in a finished blade exhibits a kind of ‘differential hardness’ due to rolling and machining, then what hardnesses and difference in microstructure are displayed from spine to edge?

How does SE H1 compare to other steels in CATRA testing, like VG10, GIn-1, MBS26, CTS-BD1N and S30V, when they are ground identically?

Is there any difference at all in SE H1 edge apex hardness after the knife has been extensively used and sharpened?

If I recall right, Sal may have mentioned that they have some H1 in Golden to make Autonomys with, and he could be open to sending a piece to Larrin for testing?