What do you think of the Spyderco Travel Case?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

1) Like it!
32%
2) Would prefer something else.
21%
3) Don't care/doesn't matter to me.
46%

Total votes: 28

cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Throwing this out as a poll to see how people feel about the Spyderco Travel Case that came with a Spyderco knife you purchased (not as an accessory purchased separately because you obviously liked it enough to purchase one if you went this route).

Got mine with a titanium/damascus Delica 4 purchase.

Personally, I don't have the need for it and would prefer a standard Spyderco box or an up-scaled Spyderco box or maybe just the standard Spyderco box with a different color scheme that represents higher priced knives.

Wondering what you all are thinking, or if you even care. If it is something other you prefer, leave a comment as to what it is.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Re: What do you think of the Spyderco Travel Case?

Post by cycleguy »

OK ... so this one went over with little interest which tells me most probably don't care...!

I love spyderco!!! Have only purchased two non-spyder-hole folders since I've been overtaken by Spyderco. BUT, going to ding them on their travel case. I would really like to see them doing it better.

Here is one I recently acquired which I like much better. It is a nylon shell with quilted cotton liner, and is embroidered, and is neither too big, too small, too bulky, too flimsy, too cheap, or to tacky.

If moisture or potential to hold moisture is a concern then I'd suggest a liner of a water proof and or wicking fabric like I have in one of my better shotgun cases.

This one comes from Mexico.

Hope to see an embroidered Spyder some day!!!

Enjoy,

CG
Attachments
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

How do you like the Doug Ritter now that Hogue is making it?

I have the BM version, which did not come with a case of any kind.

I'm not sure that everyone immediately understands what you meant by a "travel case". I was kind of trying to figure out if Spyderco made some kind of briefcase or luggage for carrying a bunch of knives, at least before I saw your picture.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not for me. I also got a Spyderpac and I have no idea why because I like to keep them in their boxes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Pfft...rather have that coffee mug I started a thread about the other day....
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have always kept my boxes and considered the box part my collection, so it was unexpected when I got my first Spyderco in a zipper pouch. I actually really like the pouch now though. I've only received them with higher end Spyderco's, so I appreciate the added protection it provides.
Also, I don't mind the simple gold printed Spyderco logo on them. It looks pretty good and it probably helps keep the cost down a little, at least. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d prefer a dirt cheap brown cardboard box like Amazon’s “frustration free” packaging if it would save a bit on overall cost of the purchase.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:44 pm

With folders, I'm a smaller knife guy. UK, Delica, Chaparral, Sage all feel my needs nicely. This is a big pocket knife for me so I'm exploring newer waters with it. I'll have to spend some time with it before I can comment, but think I prefer the PM2. If someone is a grip fan, I don't see why they wouldn't enjoy the DR. Lock smoothness is on par with the better BM's I've been around.

CG
Last edited by cycleguy on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

TomAiello wrote:

I'm not sure that everyone immediately understands what you meant by a "travel case". I was kind of trying to figure out if Spyderco made some kind of briefcase or luggage for carrying a bunch of knives, at least before I saw your picture.
I went to the Spyderco web store and went to accessories and travel case is their words for it ...

CG
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 pm
I’d prefer a dirt cheap brown cardboard box like Amazon’s “frustration free” packaging if it would save a bit on overall cost of the purchase.
Spyderco offers a $5 rebate program if you agree to have your purchase shipped in a dirty sock. :cool:

Joking aside, I too would like to pay exactly zero extra dollars for frilly packaging. I would actually take the sock shipping option to save five bucks were it offered. (Clean sock though please)

ETA: I am aware that spending a bit of effort on packaging and presentation is usually good for a company’s business. I’m just raising my hand as one of the data points that doesn’t really care about that. :spyder:
Last edited by Surfingringo on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

TomAiello wrote:

Personally I think it’s delicious that BM cancelled the Ritter collab and Ritter went to Hogue with the design and axis lock, and appears to be making a better knife. Now about that M390... let’s get something else in there.

I wonder how good is Hogue’s heat treatment?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:26 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Spyderco offers a $5 rebate program if you agree to have your purchase shipped in a dirty sock. :cool:

Joking aside, I too would like to pay exactly zero extra dollars for frilly packaging. I would actually take the sock shipping option to save five bucks were it offered. (Clean sock though please)
Ha! Just wrap it in butcher paper. I save boxes because they come in boxes... and collectors want boxes.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:26 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:

ETA: I am aware that spending a bit of effort on packaging and presentation is usually good for a company’s business. I’m just raising my hand as one of the data points that doesn’t really care about that. :spyder:
I would buy two just to get the free socks ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 pm
TomAiello wrote:

Personally I think it’s delicious that BM cancelled the Ritter collab and Ritter went to Hogue with the design and axis lock, and appears to be making a better knife. Now about that M390... let’s get something else in there.

No experience with the hogue ritter, but they claim 61-62 HRC on the m390 which should be good to go if accurate.

Also, am I reading it wrong, or are you disappointed that the knife has m390? If so, those are some pretty high standards you have there.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:36 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

No experience with the hogue ritter, but they claim 61-62 HRC on the m390 which should be good to go if accurate.

Also, am I reading it wrong, or are you disappointed that the knife has m390? If so, those are some pretty high standards you have there.
I no longer get excited over stainless steels (except the truly rust proof H1 and LC200N). I got along fine with 154cm and M2hs before getting sucked back into the Spyderco world last June, and now I guess I have developed a bit of steel snobbery. I’ve always tended to prefer the tool steel spectrum primarily for sharpening response. But to be fair, I’ve never tried the M390/204P/20CV family and they do have a following. I’ve simply never felt let down by HAP40, M4, REX45, or Cruwear. Just needs a little more care from time to time.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Woodpuppy wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

I totally agree on the switch to Hogue.

The only BM I still have is the Ritter. I'll probably buy the Hogue soon just to show my support for his political efforts.

But, I LOVE the m390. Most of my EDCs aren't stainless, but M390 is my go-to stainless. It's also my preference for travel knives (where I may go a month or more without really being able to do any maintenance on them). It's also my top choice in the kitchen at the moment.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Woohoo! Have you seen the latest Spyder Byte? Woohoo!

I'm going to claim 99.98% of the credit ... but 99.99% certain my commentary didn't matter. :p

Thumbs Up! I like it! Way to go Spyderco... :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

CG

(p.s. now referring to them as zipper pouches instead of travel cases which makes more sense as well ... CQI)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Boxes? Cases? My knives are all in a drawer. If they travel, it is one at a time in my pocket.

I do have a bunch of Spyderco boxes in a big cardboard box. Someday I'll move or need space and toss all that in a dumpster.
Red

Post by Red »

I liked the pouch that came with my Civilian. I dont keep the knife in it but when you spend a decent chunk of hard earned cash (at least for me) on something its kind of cool they do something a little extra.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I don't feel strongly either way about the pouches unless it's a Ti knife, they really help them from getting beat up. I do prefer the case that came with my Swayback over the older plastic leather pouches but mainly I am ok with my Spyderpac if I really need to travel with multiple knives.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka