Who is into fixed blades?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Who is into fixed blades?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like fixed blades and I have as many fixed blades as I do folders.

I own many of the Becker blades. The only one I sold was the BK2. I am still unsure why someone would ever need a 1/4 thick blade. The BK9 weighs the same as the BK2 and it can do so much more while still being more or less unbreakable.

This pic is missing my BK7 and BK62.

The BK62

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 am
Speaking of fixed blade knives>> In at least 3 knife shows I've been to I've noticed what seems to be a cult forming. I'm sure most of you all are aware of the knife company Busse. Some of the guys I met that were gathered around the BUSSE booth truly gave me the impression that they were devout members of some type of a cult. They very much reminded me of guys who are big fans of MicroTech's great folders.

I've never owned a BUSSE knife because I spend most of my disposable cash with the tools produced by the Great Spyder Factory. I've heard that their "INFI" blade steel is awesome. It would be interesting to know what the main intrigue is with their knives?
I've heard people talk about Swamp Rat knives with a lot of love, and I think that's one of the Busse brands. They're a bit more tactical than I go for, but look really nice and obviously have a devoted following.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:28 am

I own many of the Becker blades. The only one I sold was the BK2. I am still unsure why someone would ever need a 1/4 thick blade. The BK9 weighs the same as the BK2 and it can do so much more while still being more or less unbreakable.

The BK62

I like the bk15! I'm a sucker for trailing point fixed blades.

What do you use to remove the black coating?
- Julia

Red

Post by Red »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:28 am

The BK62

Very nice 👍
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I made a couple dozen hss bladed knives in '80s & '90s that were regularly used for everything under the sun.
These were gradually retired, or delegated to kitchen duty over the years as similar bladed folders came available.

Other than kitchen use, these pictured are the only ones I still use frequently.

shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Jumpmaster2 and the M4 Manix2 XL for comparison. Two nice knives.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

shunsui wrote: Jumpmaster2 and the M4 Manix2 XL for comparison. Two nice knives.
The grind lines on cpm m4 are absolutely AMAZING! Cpm 10v is the only thing I have seen that is close to it. If people want it coated for corrosion purposes then I get it, but I would never get satin finish m4 coated if I wasnt worried about that. It just looks way too awesome.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Picked up my first Spyderco fixed blade recently, a MT27 in PD#1.

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
James Y

Post by James Y »

When I was a kid, back in the late 1970s, I really wanted one of the Buck 100 series fixed blades, like the Buck 102 or the 105, or whatever. There was a big Buck Knives display case at a local marine supply shop, and having one of those was a dream of mine. I never did get one, and for whatever reasons, I’ve still never even handled one, all these years later.

Jim
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:29 pm
Picked up my first Spyderco fixed blade recently, a MT27 in PD#1.
Good for you. I find it hard to understand that there's still Mule Team 27's in Micro-Melt PD#1 available after all this time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:16 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 am
Speaking of fixed blade knives>> In at least 3 knife shows I've been to I've noticed what seems to be a cult forming. I'm sure most of you all are aware of the knife company Busse. Some of the guys I met that were gathered around the BUSSE booth truly gave me the impression that they were devout members of some type of a cult. They very much reminded me of guys who are big fans of MicroTech's great folders.

I've never owned a BUSSE knife because I spend most of my disposable cash with the tools produced by the Great Spyder Factory. I've heard that their "INFI" blade steel is awesome. It would be interesting to know what the main intrigue is with their knives?
I've heard people talk about Swamp Rat knives with a lot of love, and I think that's one of the Busse brands. They're a bit more tactical than I go for, but look really nice and obviously have a devoted following.
I don't keep up with Busse fixed blades and I really don't know much about them other than they have a very solid fan base probably even similar to what Spyderco has. Most of the Busse fixed blades are too wide for most of my uses. But I will say that they seem to be quality built and I can respect any company that is quality minded.

I've owned quite a few of BUCK's fixed blades over the years and the BUCK model 119 that I still have is a nice piece. However I wish that BUCK would offer their units in newer/better blade steels like Spyderco does.
James Y

Post by James Y »

At this point, I’ll probably never buy a Buck fixed blade. I’m not overly big on fixed blades, because I have few uses for one in general.

But I’m strongly considering Spyderco’s Jumpmaster 2. I hear it’s the knife Sal and Eric keep in their bugout bags. Looks rock-solid, SE H1, great integral guard, and little maintenance required. And IIRC, Sal has said out of all the SE H1 blades, for some reason the Jumpmaster 2 holds an edge the longest.

Jim
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Busse has made a lot of interesting knives in all sizes and thickness. You can keep up with their model releases by joining their email list, and you'll get the email before they're sold out. They also have a small selection of knives available at their website store.

This one was a military over run of the Dog Soldier 8 (DS8).
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Here are a couple of choppers that I use. There's a BK9 near the middle for size reference. Some of these are production pieces; others are from local smiths.

I also have two Mules, but I'm trying to convince myself that I need a Spyderco Province :)
Attachments
choppers.jpg
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I love the MT's most of all, but there is just something about the Province that just wow's me!

I also have a few CS fixed blades...Kukri plus and some mini-tac tanto neck knives.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:32 am
I love the MT's most of all, but there is just something about the Province that just wow's me!

I also have a few CS fixed blades...Kukri plus and some mini-tac tanto neck knives.
I think I've said this before, but the scales on your PD1 mule are so beautiful! I've got the blank PD1 mule, just waiting to find scales I love that much. ;)
- Julia

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I almost always have a fixed blade on me. Lately it's been an infi RMD carried iwb. I've used it for all kinds of stuff. Even digging a hole. Sometimes you just gotta get it done. It's not something I worry about with that knife either. I usually feel good beating on it.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 pm
I think I've said this before, but the scales on your PD1 mule are so beautiful! I've got the blank PD1 mule, just waiting to find scales I love that much. ;)
Thank you Julia! Are you referring to the red pearl Kirinite?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:09 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 pm
Thank you Julia! Are you referring to the red pearl Kirinite?
Oh I didn't realize you had two! The kirinite is awesome, too, but I was thinking of the wood ones.
- Julia