Who is into fixed blades?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
soc_monki

Who is into fixed blades?

Post by soc_monki »

Didn't see a thread, and didn't want to bump one since most people don't like necro threads! I recently sold my backup Zero Tolerance 0470 because I wanted to buy a nice, heavy duty fixed blade. I went with the Kabar Becker BK2, and man is it a beast! Haven't been able to use it yet because of being busy doing work on the house and yard, but I will try to trim some tree branches soon! Here's a picture! :D

:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JD Spydo

Re: Who is into fixed blades?

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm so glad you brought up this most interesting subject "Soc_Monki :) Yes I do like several of Spyderco's fixed blades and have owned and used a few of them over the years. There is one fixed blade model that I will probably continue to love for years to come. It's one of the few Spyderco fixed blade models that I think they got it "Perfect" from the start.

I'm speaking of the 2004-2005 era TEMPERANCE 1 model. It was one of the very few blades that had a Trainer and was also available in SE & PE both. I have two of each edge type and I wouldn't sell or trade either one. I use my TEMP 1 for kitchen duties mainly>> but I never go on any outdoor venture whether it be hunting, fishing, hiking without taking that great Spyderco TEMP 1 model with me.

I've beat the drums hard over the past 3 years to try to entice Mr. Glesser into making a SALT Series version of that great classic in LC200N and also in SE & PE both. Oh there are a few other fixed blade Spyders I also like but none of them come close to my TEMPERANCE 1 models. And yes I still prefer it over the very popular TEMPERANCE 2 model as well. Great Thread Brother :cool:
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve never owned a Spyderco fixed blade, and own relatively few fixed blade sheath/belt knives at all. However, lately I have become very interested in the Jumpmaster 2. If/when I do get a Spydie fixed blade, that’ll most likely be the one for me, as long as it stays in production.

Jim
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have quite a few fixed blades. I often carry a small fixed blade (usually in addition to a folder, because...more knives better). I rarely have an occasion to carry a larger fixed blade, so mostly they get used either camping or for yard work or remodel work.

I think my favorite Spyderco fixed blades are the Sprig and Southfork, but (as with everything) it's all about what you are using them for. The Province is an awesome heavy use/abuse knife, for sure, and I feel like the Serrata has never gotten enough respect (that was an unintentional pun).

I like the BK-2, but honestly I prefer to abuse my Mules, because it gets me a feel for the blades.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have around 55 to 60 fixed blades. Spyderco makes some of the best fixed blades on the market.

I'd like to buy one more Spyderco Stuart Ackerman Sustain and Spyderco Province. They are excellent knives.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Red

Post by Red »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 am
Didn't see a thread, and didn't want to bump one since most people don't like necro threads! I recently sold my backup Zero Tolerance 0470 because I wanted to buy a nice, heavy duty fixed blade. I went with the Kabar Becker BK2, and man is it a beast! Haven't been able to use it yet because of being busy doing work on the house and yard, but I will try to trim some tree branches soon! Here's a picture! :D

Great thread, I have been eyeing one of those Beckers for a long time!!
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

soc_monki wrote:

You know that you can get two different micarta scales for that knife?

I think they sell them in black and tan.
https://www.tomarskabars.com/BK77BLKHNDL_INFO.html
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I tend to carry folders, but I do appreciate a good, practical fixed blade knife.

Chris Reeve used to make a series of fixed blade knives called the One Piece Range that I really like. These knives featured a blade and a hollow handle made from a single piece of A2 tool steel.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Red wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:07 pm
soc_monki wrote:

Great thread, I have been eyeing one of those Beckers for a long time!!
It is great! The sheath is a little tight, so I left the blade sticking out a little bit to stretch the retention system. Think I might do it again, or use a heat gun, and tune it a little more. It might break in some though, so I may hold off. Thinking about adding a teklok to it. Been working on the edge a bit, smoothing out the shoulders and convexing the edge a bit. Shes sharp! Thinking about bringing it down to 30 degrees inclusive...not sure how that will do for edge stability though. We shall see!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:01 pm

You know that you can get two different micarta scales for that knife?

I think they sell them in black and tan.
https://www.tomarskabars.com/BK77BLKHNDL_INFO.html
Oh yea, and I think there are G10 scales as well. I'm going to use it with the stock scales for a while and see how it goes. I actually really like them!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Water Bug wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:28 pm
I tend to carry folders, but I do appreciate a good, practical fixed blade knife.

Chris Reeve used to make a series of fixed blade knives called the One Piece Range that I really like. These knives featured a blade and a hollow handle made from a single piece of A2 tool steel.
Oh yea, I've seen the CRK fixed blades. They are nice! I've been eyeing the HInderer fixed blades too...Ranch Bowie anyone?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:39 am
I'm so glad you brought up this most interesting subject "Soc_Monki :) Yes I do like several of Spyderco's fixed blades and have owned and used a few of them over the years. There is one fixed blade model that I will probably continue to love for years to come. It's one of the few Spyderco fixed blade models that I think they got it "Perfect" from the start.

I'm speaking of the 2004-2005 era TEMPERANCE 1 model. It was one of the very few blades that had a Trainer and was also available in SE & PE both. I have two of each edge type and I wouldn't sell or trade either one. I use my TEMP 1 for kitchen duties mainly>> but I never go on any outdoor venture whether it be hunting, fishing, hiking without taking that great Spyderco TEMP 1 model with me.

I've beat the drums hard over the past 3 years to try to entice Mr. Glesser into making a SALT Series version of that great classic in LC200N and also in SE & PE both. Oh there are a few other fixed blade Spyders I also like but none of them come close to my TEMPERANCE 1 models. And yes I still prefer it over the very popular TEMPERANCE 2 model as well. Great Thread Brother :cool:
I do really like some of Spyderco's fixed blade offerings. The Bradley Bowie, Respect, and Province all call to me. Especially the Respect! Such a beautiful knife! I've been saying for a while that I have no need for a fixed blade, and I really don't at the moment, but I really wanted a nice, thick knife that could do some work around the yard at least. I have a hatchet, but I feel better using a knife! And one that can chop some limbs from trees and cut down brush works just fine for me!

A lot of people say that the BK2 isn't really good at normal knife duties, but that's why I also have a folder! Use the big knife for big knife things, and if I need something for cutting up some food or doing detail work I have a folder. Best of both worlds!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm very fond of the Bradford Guardian 3 for EDC. The Guardian 4 is a good fixed blade too, and they make them in progressively larger sizes, usually with 3v blades in the larger ones.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I love fixed blades. I've never had a BK2, but I have a BK7 that is truly a tank of a knife. I carry that with me whenever we down a tree for firewood. It's great for whacking off smaller branches.

I also love carrying a fixed blade for foraging and mushrooming, and generally while hiking or being in the woods for whatever reason. Most recently I bought my first Bark River Knife - a Bravo EDC - and very quickly my second - a Fingerling. The third is looming. I think I could fall as hard for BRK fixed blades as I have for Spydie folders.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Obligatory the province is amazing post.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

You should try a CPK FK2, I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Josh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Speaking of fixed blade knives>> In at least 3 knife shows I've been to I've noticed what seems to be a cult forming. I'm sure most of you all are aware of the knife company Busse. Some of the guys I met that were gathered around the BUSSE booth truly gave me the impression that they were devout members of some type of a cult. They very much reminded me of guys who are big fans of MicroTech's great folders.

I've never owned a BUSSE knife because I spend most of my disposable cash with the tools produced by the Great Spyder Factory. I've heard that their "INFI" blade steel is awesome. It would be interesting to know what the main intrigue is with their knives?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

soc_monki wrote:
Didn't see a thread, and didn't want to bump one since most people don't like necro threads! I recently sold my backup Zero Tolerance 0470 because I wanted to buy a nice, heavy duty fixed blade. I went with the Kabar Becker BK2, and man is it a beast!
I literally cut my knife loving teeth with Ka-Bar, Buck & Queen along with a couple of the other knives that they traditionally sold at most hardware stores. All the Ka-Bar knives I've owned I've liked and I've felt like I got my money's worth. I had a twin bladed, stag handled Ka-Bar Hunter-Folder that I used on my hunting trips for many years. I gave that knife to my Nephew and he still loves it. Ka-Bar is truly Americana anyway you look at it.

It's amazing how many of America's great knife companies originated in New York State.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Fixed blades have been my most common purchase the last few years

Chris Reeve - Professional Solider (Had to they had discontinued)

LT Wright - Camp Muk (Had to it had a lime green handle)

Spyderco - Junction (Had to they had discontinued)

Spyderco -Mules. (Had to they had discontinued) Back on now....

Couple of Custom Damascus knives from a local knife maker that supplies a fair bit of Damascus steel to the Aussie Knife making market. Surprised he lived in driving distance from my place ( Had to ;) )
One in camel bone and One in buffalo horn. (Lost the camel bone to the misses as soon as I got home)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Had a old butchers knife made into a camp knife

Had this old cracked handled knife
Turned into this
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.