Exclusives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Exclusives?

Post by steelcity16 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 am
TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:34 am
I wasn't under the impression that BHQ had exclusive rights to the tanto blade shape. Do they?
Great question! I clearly think the answer is yes, exclusive rights to the PM2 tanto but I would love to hear more from Spyderco or BHQ.

I'm thinking BHQ has the rights to this specific Tanto/Steel/Finish/Color combo, but Spyderco or any other dealer could do a Tanto PM2 in another combo. BHQ was just the first to do the Tanto shape and pushed for it and put up the $ to make it happen. I doubt Spyderco would give them exclusive rights to the Tanto blade shape in the PM2 short of a commitment from BHQ to commission 10K plus of these or some other huge number over the next few years given the R&D cost of bringing a new blade shape to market.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 am
I'm thinking BHQ has the rights to this specific Tanto/Steel/Finish/Color combo, but Spyderco or any other dealer could do a Tanto PM2 in another combo. BHQ was just the first to do the Tanto shape and pushed for it and put up the $ to make it happen. I doubt Spyderco would give them exclusive rights to the Tanto blade shape in the PM2 short of a commitment from BHQ to commission 10K plus of these or some other huge number over the next few years given the R&D cost of bringing a new blade shape to market.
Has there ever been a dealer exclusive that was released before a standard prodution version? I don't believe so which is why I'm skeptical. Also s30v is commonly a standard production steel...
pdixon

Post by pdixon »

I didn’t buy it for basically everything that has been said in this thread. Plus I have to add £50 to any BHQ order to get it shipped to the uk.

I sat and watched it, and it didn’t actually sell out as fast as I thought - obviously that’s subjective depending on stock levels. But it did sit there available for a good while. Maybe others are tiring of this too?

I do dislike the forced exclusivity on these things and the way they tap in to consumerism and FOMO. I think I thought the same sat watching the copper PM2 go.

I like Benchmade’s custom shop and the ethos behind creating that exclusivity through your own ideas. I actually spent money with them instead for that reason and also picked up a WE knife for the Combined price of the PM2T.

Plus I sat playing with my PM2 that day and decided the Para 3 was an all together better knife. The PM2 exclusives remind me of when a car manufacturer needs to shift a load of dead models so they stick big wheels and fenders on it and say it’s a ‘sport’.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

pdixon wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:52 am
Plus I sat playing with my PM2 that day and decided the Para 3 was an all together better knife.
The PM2 has never worked for me personally, but the PM3 fits my hand _much_ better.

Still, the PM2 is incredibly popular, so it obviously works for a lot of people.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:48 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 am
Has there ever been a dealer exclusive that was released before a standard prodution version? I don't believe so which is why I'm skeptical. Also s30v is commonly a standard production steel...
In terms of new blade shapes on existing models, there was the Kahr Arms Delica, which never became a production model. Also dealers have commissioned entirely new exclusive/collaboration models, too, such as the Wolfspyder which was sold through Ray Mears and SFO only.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m still confused whether or not HH has exclusive rights to the G10 UKPK.. :confused:
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
pdixon

Post by pdixon »

I think they have the rights to things which are red, like their logo.

I’m totally okay with that though, the only red knife I’d ever buy is a Victorinox.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:38 pm
I’m still confused whether or not HH has exclusive rights to the G10 UKPK.. :confused:
Good point. Guess we won't find out until the damasteel ukpk with ivory g10 is released
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:38 pm
Maybe I missed some info at some point but I don't see why they would. Maybe exclusive rights to the red G10/S30V combination but I would think if SNK wanted to do a red G10/4V/DLC they would be allowed to
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:28 am
I must applaud Heinnie Haynes not only for listening to the requests of their UK customers, but also for the courage to make such an investment. As an exclusive, they "own" the design as long as they keep making them. They will keep making them as long as you keep purchasing them.

I would also like to applaud the Golden Knife-Makers for the execution of this model. It's a beautiful piece. I'm carrying one today. I'll be cutting sushi with it tonight. :)

Sorry for not giving more information. I'll leave that to Heinnie Haynes.

sal
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

So bladehq made quite the investment in the Emerson and tanto in terms of research development and product marketing....?????
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

odomandr wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:28 am
So bladehq made quite the investment in the Emerson and tanto in terms of research development and product marketing....?????

Its hard to know the exact specifics without knowing the details of the agreement but on the surface it would appear that BladeHQ agreed to fund the entire batch, to the point where it made financial sense for Spyderco to develop and manufacture it. Much like the Copper PM2.

Without the financial commitment from a dealer, I would think it would be difficult to spend time and resources on such things considering how many other things Spyderco is juggling.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

A copper PM2 and a tanto PM2 are two very different things. I don't see why a tanto PM2 wouldn't have broad appeal. It can also be sold in a variety of blade steels and scale options even including...copper.
If BHQ gets to sell every tanto PM2, they were handed a golden ticket.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:32 am
they were handed a golden ticket.
I see what you did there, or the pun was unintended? :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.