Exclusives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CXXX

Exclusives?

Post by CXXX »

Like many of my devoted Spyderco fans, I am constantly on this site monitoring new releases of my favorite platforms; Sprints, Exclusives etc. Ramzar's list viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85676&p=1388485#p1388485 is very helpful in the quest to buy direct from dealers rather than the secondary market. Thanks Ramzar!
A couple of recent releases have given me pause...BladeOps Para Military 2 Emerson Openers, and Blade HQ's Para Military 2 Tanto Blade. These kinds of knives have historically been standard catalog items, not exclusives. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the financial commitment of the dealers that brought these releases to market. But I would imagine other dealers would like the opportunity to sell these models as well. Just an observation of a new trend at Spyderco to release these as exclusives.
Last edited by CXXX on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Re: Exclusives?

Post by sal »

Hi CXXX,

Yes, it is a puzzlement.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Interesting topic. I’d have to say I agree with your comments CXXX.

As a Canadian trying to get my hands on the tanto PM2 I am having to pay a considerable penny to make it happen, well over the asking price. I don’t want to get into the why (border problems). If the same knife (tanto, wave) was standard production or even a sprint I could just buy it from my local shop for a normal price. Less work and stress is involved too. I’d imagine many people around the globe are experiencing the same issue with these releases. Missing out on a new steel variant is one thing, but a brand new blade shape in one of the worlds most popular knives is another.

Don’t get me started on the copper PM2 which has never been done before... :confused:
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Was a 3 day epic task to get a Jade PM2 in M4 black blade. Aussie based and converting mountain time with Australian time with several daylight savings times whilst being at work and juggling jobs around. Remember high 5ing myself when I got the order confirmed on my iPad hot spotted to my phone sitting in the work car on the wharf.....
Man I love using the knife knowing how hard it was to get.....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

CXXX wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 pm
Like many of my devoted Spyderco fans, I am constantly on this site monitoring new releases of my favorite platforms; Sprints, Exclusives etc. Ramzar's list viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85676&p=1388485#p1388485 is very helpful in the quest to buy direct from dealers rather than the secondary market. Thanks Ramzar!
A couple of recent releases have given me pause...BladeOps Para Military 2 Emerson Openers, and Blade HQ's Para Military 2 Tanto Blade. These kinds of knives have historically been standard catalog items, not exclusives. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the financial commitment of the dealers that brought these releases to market. But I would imagine other dealers would like the opportunity to sell these models as well. Just an observation of a new trend at Spyderco to release these as exclusives.

Sal, or anyone from Spyderco, can correct me if I'm wrong but it's been my understanding that, while there will only ever be a fixed number of a Sprint Run model produced, Exclusives do not share that limitation. If one sells rapidly its sponsor has the option of of ordering another batch and, in any even, if the original sponsor does not order more within a specified time period, then another vendor can do so or Spyderco can make and sell them on their own dime.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have stopped trying to buy exclusives and I only try to grab a few sprints. It's a frustrating experience when you live in the U.S. I can't imagine the frustration of trying to ship to a country with restrictive knife laws or half way around the world. I honestly probably wouldn't even try.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
araneae

Post by araneae »

It seems like an odd plan for Spyderco. Presumably they had a good bit of R & D time into these pieces and to give them to a single dealer would limit their return significantly it seems. An exclusive where you just change colors or steels would be much easier it seems than to develop a variant that may have fairly wide appeal. The tanto PM2 sold out quick, I'm sure more will appear, but they are certainly limiting sales on this variant by making it a dealer exclusive.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I think that after a period of time spyderco should release these as a regular production models. It will allow the dealers that commissioned the model to make it's money back in the initial run or runs, then open up the market for spyderco to justify the price of R&D and tooling costs after that.

Just my $0.02
Justin :spyder:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

There is nothing stopping Spyderco from releasing a Tanto PM2 orr Emerson PM2 as long as they change the color of the scales or the steel type to make it different from the exclusive. And nothing stopping a dealer like St Nick's from doing an Emerson or Tanto PM2 in their 4V combo.

There is only so much capacity at the factories though. There are many models and combos that would sell well as production models, but limited room in the lineup. Obviously very tough decisions for Spyderco to choose what makes the cut.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

araneae wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:39 am
It seems like an odd plan for Spyderco. Presumably they had a good bit of R & D time into these pieces and to give them to a single dealer would limit their return significantly it seems. An exclusive where you just change colors or steels would be much easier it seems than to develop a variant that may have fairly wide appeal. The tanto PM2 sold out quick, I'm sure more will appear, but they are certainly limiting sales on this variant by making it a dealer exclusive.
Blade HQ have already said more are on the way. What is really upsetting is that flippers have bought up to 5 a piece and there are tons of them on Ebay for nearly $300. I hope people can refrain from giving money to these scam artists and just be patient for the next run. Blade HQ has not said anything about these being a limited model, so hopefully they will keep them in stock so anyone who wants one can get one.

It looks cool, but personally I don't need a tanto PM2. Now if they made a saber ground model (like the Wave model without the wave) I might jump on that.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's an interesting trend. I think that BHQ should not be able to play games about availability. If these are essentially unlimited in numbers then BHQ should say that.
They are skilled at marketing but it can also be deceptive and I think that's unfair.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't think BHQ is being deceptive. It's well established that exclusives are available for re-run. They just have to place a new order, which takes substantial investment and a long lead time.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Well I have some questions about whether or not this tanto run follows the rules of normal dealer exlcusives. If Sal himself thinks this is a puzzlement, then it's no wonder that I'm also confused.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Isn't the idea behind MAP to level the playing field with dealers?
You have a tanto PM2 which is surely a product in high demand. It's essentially a new model but a proven design. You say to BHQ, you can have exclusive rights but you need to pay us up front.
Spyderco's risk is reduced but was it risky to think that a PM2 tanto would sell? Spyderco limits volumes so they potentially suffer in that regard.
Other dealers are excluded so they suffer. The arguably strongest dealer gets even stronger.
Consumers can only buy from one dealer so that may be inconvenient or undesirable for some.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Personally i'm waiting for a non-DLC to surface, then i might give it a try. Regardless of who launch it (although i hope it will be Spyderco, and also as a production model)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 am
You have a tanto PM2 which is surely a product in high demand. It's essentially a new model but a proven design. You say to BHQ, you can have exclusive rights but you need to pay us up front.
Does their exclusive give them rights to the blade shape?

I thought the exclusive was the specific handle/color/steel combo, and covered that combination in all models.

I wasn't under the impression that BHQ had exclusive rights to the tango blade shape. Do they?
Danke

Post by Danke »

I read Sal's comment as puzzlement as to why more dealers don't get in on exclusives. The only barrier is your own imagination.

For Blade HQ what would be nice is if they had a bit more of a holdback on the exclusives something like 90 days. Just in case there was an issue with one of the knives, lost in shipping etc.

As a Canadian the only issue I have with the Blade HQ exclusives is the transit time. Most of the USA had their M4 Dodo or Copper PM2 and they were flipping them while my knives seemed to be on a postal mule plodding across the Rockies headed North.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Danke wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:51 am
As a Canadian the only issue I have with the Blade HQ exclusives is the transit time. Most of the USA had their M4 Dodo or Copper PM2 and they were flipping them while my knives seemed to be on a postal mule plodding across the Rockies headed North.
LOL
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:34 am
I wasn't under the impression that BHQ had exclusive rights to the tanto blade shape. Do they?
Great question! I clearly think the answer is yes, exclusive rights to the PM2 tanto but I would love to hear more from Spyderco or BHQ.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I’m wondering if Spyderco is planning to make the satin version themselves, and only granted BHQ an exclusive in dlc.