The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by MacLaren »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:50 am
I like oddball stuff...1941 Johnson rifles, 1896 Broomhandles, odd calibers...just odd stuff.

Yesterday I bought a Handi-Rifle in 9.3x62 (European medium/large game caliber... .366 bore diameter....275gr JSP bullet at 2350fps) and it joins the ones in 38-55, 45-70 and 9.3x57. It's brethren have all taken game so this fall it will go to the woods to be blooded also. The last few years I've found hunting with a single-shot makes me concentrate on the job at hand more completely.

And I just ordered a medium contour 6.5 Grendel barrel for my Savage varmint rifle. Love the cartridge in my AR and want to wring it out a bit further via a fixed breech rifle. That's part of the beauty of the Savage rifles, easily swapping barrels and bolt faces vastly increases flexibility of use.

Looking for a shooter grade 10ga SxS...either Spanish or Turkish. Plan on bobbing the barrels to 22in , adding screw-in choke tubes and express sights. I've got a case of 10ga slugs and need something to shoot them up with.....LOL
Lol. Yeah man, you have fun with that dam 10 Guage!
Talk about turnin your shoulder black and blue.....mercy!
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:25 am
RustyIron wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:33 am
Nice Sig, MacLaren.
My P229 is an old school SA/DA railless in .357 Sig. I like the look of the new ones better, but still prefer the DA/SA. The interesting thing is how easy it is to shoot fast and make small groups.
seriously though, if you decide to add another 9mm then consider a legion
The Legion has remarkable ergos
MacLaren, I'd love for you to handle and put a 100 rounds through my P30L, just melts in your hand!
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:28 am
OldHoosier62 wrote:
I like oddball stuff...1941 Johnson rifles, 1896 Broomhandles, odd calibers...just odd stuff.

Yesterday I bought a Handi-Rifle in 9.3x62 (European medium/large game caliber... .366 bore diameter....275gr JSP bullet at 2350fps) and it joins the ones in 38-55, 45-70 and 9.3x57. It's brethren have all taken game so this fall it will go to the woods to be blooded also. The last few years I've found hunting with a single-shot makes me concentrate on the job at hand more completely.

And I just ordered a medium contour 6.5 Grendel barrel for my Savage varmint rifle. Love the cartridge in my AR and want to wring it out a bit further via a fixed breech rifle. That's part of the beauty of the Savage rifles, easily swapping barrels and bolt faces vastly increases flexibility of use.

Looking for a shooter grade 10ga SxS...either Spanish or Turkish. Plan on bobbing the barrels to 22in , adding screw-in choke tubes and express sights. I've got a case of 10ga slugs and need something to shoot them up with.....LOL
LOL....I have a Ithaca Mag-10, a Browning BPS-10 and just sold my Remington SP-10. They really aren't THAT bad. With the SxS I'm envisioning a "Redneck Express Rifle" since I don't want to drop the coin on a real one. Built one for a client a few years ago for an Africa hunt and it was very successful on medium game and camp meat.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:02 am
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:28 am
OldHoosier62 wrote:

LOL....I have a Ithaca Mag-10, a Browning BPS-10 and just sold my Remington SP-10. They really aren't THAT bad. With the SxS I'm envisioning a "Redneck Express Rifle" since I don't want to drop the coin on a real one. Built one for a client a few years ago for an Africa hunt and it was very successful on medium game and camp meat.
Nice. Ill bet it was.
I'd like to shoot a 10 guage someday.
My Uncle has one, can't remember what brand though.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 am
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:25 am
RustyIron wrote:
Nice Sig, MacLaren.
My P229 is an old school SA/DA railless in .357 Sig. I like the look of the new ones better, but still prefer the DA/SA. The interesting thing is how easy it is to shoot fast and make small groups.
seriously though, if you decide to add another 9mm then consider a legion
The Legion has remarkable ergos
MacLaren, I'd love for you to handle and put a 100 rounds through my P30L, just melts in your hand!
Yeah man, I hear those HK's are nice :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Nice Sig, MacLaren.
I have a P229 in .357 sig as well. Mine is the old school (no rail) stainless model. I put a hogue grip on it a long time ago. I honestly haven't shot it (or even really thought about it) in several years. But now that you guys have reminded me, I'll have to take it out soon. I've been mostly shooting suppressed rifles lately. I enjoy the fact that I can shoot in open land less than 20 minutes from home. I used to do that when I lived in California, but my friends there tell me that's no longer possible where I grew up.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 am
RustyIron wrote:
Nice Sig, MacLaren.
I have a P229 in .357 sig as well. Mine is the old school (no rail) stainless model. I put a hogue grip on it a long time ago. I honestly haven't shot it (or even really thought about it) in several years. But now that you guys have reminded me, I'll have to take it out soon. I've been mostly shooting suppressed rifles lately. I enjoy the fact that I can shoot in open land less than 20 minutes from home. I used to do that when I lived in California, but my friends there tell me that's no longer possible where I grew up.
It's awfully nice not having to go to a gun range imo. I mean, there is nothing wrong with ranges and I'm certainly glad we have them - well, not where I live now. No use for them - but I can step out on my front porch or back deck if I want and just let'er rip
Although, I've yet to do that lol.....
I'm just about too lazy to mess with shooting much anymore- and I shouldn't be that way. It's certainly a perishable talent, sport, whatever ya wanna call it.
But, I do love me some .357 Sig.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I live in the middle of town. You know, the old western towns that were built all at once about a hundred years (or a little more--our house was built in 1914) ago. It's the kind of street where you wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wally and the Beav walking down the sidewalk toward you. It's a great place to raise kids, but it does mean that my neighbors' houses are roughly forty feet from ours. Maybe someday I'll live somewhere that I can shoot on my own land...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:38 am
I live in the middle of town. You know, the old western towns that were built all at once about a hundred years (or a little more--our house was built in 1914) ago. It's the kind of street where you wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wally and the Beav walking down the sidewalk toward you. It's a great place to raise kids, but it does mean that my neighbors' houses are roughly forty feet from ours. Maybe someday I'll live somewhere that I can shoot on my own land...
Totally understand.
Used to live in Asheville and in an HOA.
And, I wouldn't wanna disturb my neighbors anyway.
Especially rifles, they're loud as heck.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Out here in the country, I have been able to use predictive fire, also called map shooting. Printing google satellite photos of the pasture north of my back porch, I scribed the radius in yards from my picnic table and penciled in the hold off at 50 yard intervals. Coyotes have fallen to my 220 Swift in excess of 400 yards.
It would be difficult for me to return to the city.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maybe someday, after the kids are on their own, my wife and I will move out to the country. It's just so convenient to be able to walk almost everywhere. I walk to my office, the kids walk to the park and the library...the only time I drive in town is when we have to carry stuff (like grocery shopping), or for work reasons.

I sure would love to be able to shoot right off the back porch though. :)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:52 am
It's awfully nice not having to go to a gun range imo. I mean, there is nothing wrong with ranges
Nah... they’re all pretty awful. There’s one less than ten minutes from my front door, but I only go when teaching a newby or testing out something new. The BEST is a drive up into the high desert, where there’s fresh air, blue skies, and no rules. But this time of year it’s too hot.

Rob

P.S.
Buy the HK.
Last edited by RustyIron on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:52 am
MacLaren wrote:
It's awfully nice not having to go to a gun range imo. I mean, there is nothing wrong with ranges
Nah... they’re all pretty awful. There’s one less than ten minutes from my front door, but I only go when teaching a newly or testing out something new. The BEST is a drive up into the high desert, where there’s fresh air, blue skies, and no rules. But this time of year it’s too hot.

Rob

P.S.
Buy the HK.
The only thing I don't have readily is long range
I would love to have a 1,000 yards
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Driving out of town here it's pretty easy to find a 1000 yard 'range' in the desert.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MacLaren wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 am
RustyIron wrote:
Nice Sig, MacLaren.
It's awfully nice not having to go to a gun range imo. I mean, there is nothing wrong with ranges and I'm certainly glad we have them - well, not where I live now. No use for them - but I can step out on my front porch or back deck if I want and just let'er rip
Although, I've yet to do that lol.....
I'm just about too lazy to mess with shooting much anymore- and I shouldn't be that way. It's certainly a perishable talent, sport, whatever ya wanna call it.
But, I do love me some .357 Sig.
I feel like we've kinda got the best of both worlds right now...a small house in the city and property in the country. We've set up our own rifle range from the porch of our cabin with steel targets at about 60 and 150 yards. Our property is mostly wooded, though, so we're still trying to find a good safe spot for a longer range. But there's really not much that's quite as fun as shooting rifles off your own porch. :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:02 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Driving out of town here it's pretty easy to find a 1000 yard 'range' in the desert.
My husband was stationed at 29 Palms before we met...from the stories I've heard, that was the activity of choice pretty much every day he had off!
- Julia

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

benben wrote:
MacLaren
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
benben

Post by benben »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:11 pm
benben wrote:
MacLaren
Haha, you know I wondered what MacLaren looked like.....he is from Asheville ya know! :D

That made me laugh!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:11 pm
benben wrote:
MacLaren
I cannot unsee that. 🤣
- Julia

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:34 pm

I cannot unsee that. 🤣
Hey Julia, I was tossing up between quoting benben as I did or quoting you "My husband". Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin