Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Post by ABX2011 »

Seems likely there will be many versions if it sells well.
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I really want a tanto PM 2. a black/black coated s30v is not a version I am supremely interested in. If I knew it was for ever and always the only version we will ever see I would buy one, but I think I will hold out and wait for a different color/steel combo.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

If this one sells well, we may see more....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

If the sales are good, BladeHQ could make an exclusive of Tanto PM2 with M4/jade G10, but that is my speculation.

We don't know yet if this will be like a 1200 piece batch, or it will stick for a year or two. But I have a feeling that we will see at least a few runs of this model. There was some time consuming development of this model, and it seems like a waste to make only one batch.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

samdasnake wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:25 am
FeistyKat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:50 am
samdasnake wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53 pm
First DLC isn't my favorite... I prefer plain blades...Third I just got a double bevel not too long ago to satisfy my spydie tanto bug and I absolutely love it.

I, too, bought a double bevel because I wanted a Tanto. I like it, sort of, but I'm not wild about the liner lock & lack of a choil. I'm always afraid I'm going to take my finger off when I close it.

The double bevel is also a little small for my tastes (I regard it as my '007' knife, if I ever wear a tuxedo this is the knife I'll have in my pocket), but it looks like the PM2 tanto is about the same size.

I've never handled a PM of any configuration. Are they stout like the Shaman? I love the 'thock' of my Shaman.

As for DLC, I think I will look at removing it, if I am lucky enough to score one of these knives.
The PM2 is a pretty solid knife, but you're not going to find much as stout as your Shaman. And it definitely doesn't have the same "thock" that you're looking for. That said, I only have one PM2 so my experience with then is somewhat limited. As for removing the DLC, that's not a bad idea :)

What do you like about your Double Bevel?

There is a nice review from 2014 praising the Double Bevel, saying it "oozes quality":
viewtopic.php?t=62803

I'm not expert enough to comment on that, but I will say the Double Bevel has very nice aesthetics. The G-10 scales have an upscale look and feel and I love the way the light plays off the multiple grinds on the blade.

If I weren't so bloody in love with my Shaman, I would give the Double Bevel a try for EDC. Maybe I'll just carry both.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FeistyKat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:50 am
samdasnake wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53 pm

I've never handled a PM of any configuration. Are they stout like the Shaman? I love the 'thock' of my Shaman.

I have a PM2 and handled a Shaman, the latter feels a lot more stout with its much less tapered blade and especially the more robust tip (though in that capacities the Tanto PM2 should be a lot closer to the Shaman). Add the weight and beefier feeling handle, and the Shaman - for me - is in a different category than the PM2.

Funny, cause if I was gifted one and could choose I´d take the Shaman. While practically speaking the ("regular"PM2 design suits my normal EDC tasks much better... (and I like the PM2, don´t get me wrong!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Not a tanto fan, big PM2 fan. I think the high price made the decision for me. However, maybe it will also deter flippers?

The wave PM2 stuck around a while, but I'm guessing this one will be more desirable.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Anxious to see if this is a 5 minute or less sell, 2 hours ?????, or a day????? or????? I don't suspect this will be a one and done run either. As the other poster mentioned, there is a lot of time and money that has gone into it to be limited to a small quantity.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The site was moving pretty slow but I scored one. :)
-Nick :bug-red
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

There's no limit on the number you can purchase which makes me think the knife is not in very limited supply. Either there are a ton of 'em or there will be more made later.
beard0x0

Post by beard0x0 »

So much fanfare for a different blade shape - like others said it makes no sense to make this a one-off since it's not a "sprint run" nor does it make sense to design and program a new blade shape/grind for just a single run (from a cost perspective). Hinderer has a half-dozen blade shapes to choose from so Spyderco having 2 for the PM2 family isn't exactly a stretch.
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

I'm holding off since I just bought a car but they're still available
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I have wanted one of these for a long time but I’m trying to buy less knives. Well, I woke up this morning and it was still available so I added it to cart, just for a second to see what it felt like. And well, one thing led to another and before I knew it I was pulling out my credit card. I’ve got one on the way. Hopefully it makes it into Canada without issue. 👍🏻

I have zero self control sometimes. 😂
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

40 minutes in and not sold out. I wonder if flippers sit back and start sweating when a knife doesn't sell out super fast and start regretting their purchases lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
moose1000

Post by moose1000 »

wow shocked I showed up 30 minutes late to the party and was able to score one!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:39 am
40 minutes in and not sold out. I wonder if flippers sit back and start sweating when a knife doesn't sell out super fast and start regretting their purchases lol.
I would imagine so.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Nabbed one! I'll be very happy to finally get it in hand....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Gone now
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

From IG, "SOLD OUT!! Don’t worry, more will be on the way!"
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Any idea how thin these are behind the edge compared to a regular PM2?