All I want for Christmas...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: All I want for Christmas...

Post by abbazaba »

Rc bladeworks. Might be interested.

Sharp dressed knives. Depending on market demand.

Shepherd CC. Takes forever but would do it by hand. I was his first Manix2 LW project and he came through eventually.

BOOMER52 might. I sent him my Endela for his CAD drawings and worked on a custom design.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Deacon wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:10 am
I believe so. I know I've reached out to several different people on here and BladeForum, over the past few years.
No luck yet, they either don't make anything at all anymore, or they only make custom knives now.

Hear you. A lot of these guys either move on to more lucrative work or at least get selective about what they want to work on. A few get injured and have to quit. And, unfortunately, it seems quite a few of them are a lot better craftsmen than businessmen, get in way over their heads, and wind up trashing their reputations

Only asked about BOOMER52 because he still seems to be active and still making scales for at least some Spyderco nested liner models.
I'll double check with Boomer. I'm pretty sure I've tried him, but then again I've tried 20+ different outfits. So, I could be wrong.

If I can't get something hooked soon, I'll just try to make the cad file myself and go the local CNC route.

Maybe then, I'll sell them! >:)
abbazaba wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:17 am
Rc bladeworks. Might be interested.

Sharp dressed knives. Depending on market demand.

Shepherd CC. Takes forever but would do it by hand. I was his first Manix2 LW project and he came through eventually.

BOOMER52 might. I sent him my Endela for his CAD drawings and worked on a custom design.
Thanks.

I've tried the first two, but I don't know if I've tried Shepherd CC.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

You can always remove the scales and dip them in some Rit Dye to change the color, permanently.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SubMicron wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:07 pm
You can always remove the scales and dip them in some Rit Dye to change the color, permanently.
Haha, I don't think RIT dye is going do the trick. The scale job I am after is a bit more involved than just dying the stock scales.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
foofie

Post by foofie »

I have been looking for Watu scales - similar issues.
Part of the problem - going the cnc route takes a lot of time and effort. This is only worth it for most shops if the scales will sell at high enough volume to offset the startup cost. It sounds like the Caribbean may have a rabid but small following?

I decided to make my own scales as a result - definitely a learning process. Couple attempts, nothing worth showing except as a "what not to do" tutorial...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Update:

I have been in touch with Cuscadi and this project might be getting some legs. It depends on how they treat me, I'm still not thrilled that I could've had these scales done two years ago...

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Try BOOMER52 on this forum (also on Bladeforums). He has a CNC machine and only does Spyderco knives, I believe. Give him a shout and see if he can help.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I checked with Boomer again. No dice, unfortunately.

However, I am in contact with Cuscadi. I have sent over my request and am waiting to hear back. It may take a while, because I have to send the knife over there first.

The scales will be worth the wait, if everything works out. I may get some for my Ulize, while I'm at it.

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My biggest desire for an upcoming "Christmas" gift would be for Spyderco to do a Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob. Oh yes in PE & SE both on that model.

Another "Christmas" idea that I think a lot of people here would like would be a Hawkbill folder with either a G-10 or Micarta handle in a really good blade steel like XHP and of course in SE.

Well I hope that "Sumdumguy" gets his Christmas wish too :)
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:25 am
standy99 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:50 pm
Same as every year.... A fixed blade Spyderco in M4
That sounds awesome....I like it
x3 - Count me in as well. Street Beat in M4 sounds awesome.
--Jeremy
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:18 pm
Pancake wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:25 am
standy99 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:50 pm
Same as every year.... A fixed blade Spyderco in M4
That sounds awesome....I like it
x3 - Count me in as well. Street Beat in M4 sounds awesome.
An M4 Street Beat, with a Micarta handle would be beyond fantastic.

Such an excellent design...

-Thomas Jefferson