Vacation Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
atv223

Vacation Knives

Post by atv223 »

Getting ready for my family's annual trip to the OBX. A week of salt and sand. A few years ago my first ever salt series got a major workout living in my shorts for the week, a Pacific Salt. Last year I donated my second Dragonfly Salt to the ocean. Hopefully I'll return home with all of them this time!

This year the collection has grown and these are the knives that will be coming with me. Not sure which will get the most work out or pocket time. The Spydiechef will likely only see food prep, like lime slicing. But the others will accompany me fishing, kayaking, sailing, fish cleaning, bait prep and doing whatever else. I'm thinking the Siren is going to get the most use, but we'll see.

Not many people would appreciate the thoughts I have about my knives, so I figured I'd share with some like minded people. I'll try to get some vacation knife photos to share!

gbcaffee

Re: Vacation Knives

Post by gbcaffee »

Thinking through which of my Spyderco Knives I wanted to take on vacation, and then preparing for each day, knowing what was ahead for the day and finding the best tool each morning was a very fun aspect of my trip to the cabin this year. Have fun!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I took a vacation in the TN/VA/WV/NC mountains recently and my pair was a SE Pacific Salt 2 and a Street Bowie. Had a large Leatherman as well.
:unicorn
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My Dragonfly or Delica are the usual companions on my journeys. I like your collection ATV.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Ric

Post by Ric »

I visit my aunt and her knives are dull.
Therefore, my Para 3 SPY27 will get more used.

It's my main holiday EDC now and I will use it as much as possible.
Victorinox Rambler as "multitool"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Nice collection, especially for a beach vacation. :)

I tend to take my Chaparral (legal and inoffensive) and UKPK for travel. I have a DFly Salt that I take for saltwater, too.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Ric wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:36 pm
I visit my aunt and her knives are dull.
Therefore, my Para 3 SPY27 will get more used.
That's funny.
I don't cook at my wife's parent's. But my BIL is quite the chef, and sometimes cooks over there. He brings his own knives because the ones there are awful. I've offered to sharpen a couple, but the suggestion was not met with enthusiasm. I've learned that unless someone is really excited and eager about what you have to offer, it's best to just let it be. Hope you're cookin' something good for Auntie.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if that pac salt is se, it’s all you need. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Nate

Post by Nate »

We were just in Nag's Head the 2nd week of June. My Spydie lineup included a South Fork, a PE Pac 1 (have since added a SE,) a Manbug Salt that's always on my keys, a Ladybug Hawkbill carried in my board shorts, and my AEB-L Urban for non-beach edc.

Meant to also grab another mid-sized blade like a PM2, but somehow survived with just the above. :)
:spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm going in a couple of weeks.

I've shifted my vacation carry to a cheaper knife, Kershaw Natrix for most. I think my dpx heat for back pocket or a zdp dragonfly.
I take some Dragonfly Salts for swimming, a Manix 2 S110V lightweight for when I might need to cut more.
In my travel back pack when I'm not flying, I have a Spydie Chef and Chokwe.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I went with a Dragonfly Salt last time I went to the ocean. I also had a Tasman Salt with me and ended up losing it somewhere on the beach. I really hope someone with a metal detector found it so at least someone is using it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The serrated lightweight salts are pretty much ideal for saltwater vacations. It's almost like Spyderco had that environment in mind when they were designed. ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Looks like you're very stocked up and prepared for the trip! Have a great time!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sadly, it’s been years since I’ve been able to go on a vacation. But if I were going on a road trip, I’d most likely take a Pacific Salt SE. It’s what I took on my last vacations years ago, and it worked out great. And depending on where I’m going, I’d also take a 3” or less blade, like a Delica or my Para 3, depending on the local laws of my destination. I always have my Victorinox Executive SAK, and also either a Spartan or Pioneer SAK in another pocket, so having two SAKs on me is a no-brainer. I might also take my Swisstool Spirit.

I’d like to get a Pacific Salt 2, as I like the E4 handle better, but I don’t have the funds to spare for any knives for now.

Jim
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Nice that someone else understands why I need 5 different knives to go fishing and have a picnic.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
brj

Post by brj »

Cool topic.

Pacific Salt 2 for a week on the beach, older FFG (close to zero grind) Pacific Salt for those moments when the 2 feels unnecessary thick :)

Orange/black FrankenMillie for a couple of days off-the-grid (I haven't done it quite on purpose, it was more of a by-product of a project I'm still tinkering with - but I ended up quite enjoying it so it's here to stay).

(Not pictured) Victorinox SwissTool Spirit because it is (to me) the best multitool on the market.

PStone

Post by PStone »

brj wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:44 am
Cool topic.

Pacific Salt 2 for a week on the beach, older FFG (close to zero grind) Pacific Salt for those moments when the 2 feels unnecessary thick :)

Orange/black FrankenMillie for a couple of days off-the-grid (I haven't done it quite on purpose, it was more of a by-product of a project I'm still tinkering with - but I ended up quite enjoying it so it's here to stay).

(Not pictured) Victorinox SwissTool Spirit because it is (to me) the best multitool on the market.

That Millie is pretty dang sweet looking. I can see why you ended up enjoying it!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Just got back jeep'n colorado for a couple weeks.
Out of the half dozen blades we had with us, these got all the use.

I found a blade left behind by previous campers. If anyone can describe it and/or where it was left, I'd be happy to return it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Is that a Native mod? Did you do that one yourself? It's pretty cool looking.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:59 am
Is that a Native mod? Did you do that one yourself? It's pretty cool looking.
yes, yes, and ... I guess.
The shorter height blade makes it more useful to me. I did my sage and pm3 this way also.
Probably can't see it in the pic but starting on the military also.