Unpopular opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi
Member
Posts: 7494
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby vivi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:12 pm

James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:26 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:36 pm
Not sure if this is unpopular or not. I suspect not, but I am going to put it here anyways!! :D

Please please please start coating the liners on DLC knives. They did it on the latest Yojimbo 2 DLC, so it is possible to do on comp lock knives apparently. The uncoated liners really take away from the look of DLC knives.
I agree with wanting all steel surfaces on DLC knives to be coated.

But for me, it has less to do with the looks/aesthetics and more to do with the added corrosion resistance of the liners, stop pin, etc. I know many say that DLC doesn’t help with corrosion resistance, but I clearly remember Vivi saying that in his experience it does, and I believe his experience.

Jim
Agreed on the DLC liners. In fact I'd rather have DLC liners than a DLC blade.

Anyways this is one reason I'm excited to carry and use this knife:

Image

The S30V version never showed a speck of rust, even on the uncoated pivot area. I'm extremely interested to see how the M4 holds up. Based on my experiences with the steel I definitely see the uncoated pivot area showing corrosion if I carry this IWB in the summer, but I expect the coated sections of the blade to be fine.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

User avatar
VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby VooDooChild » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:16 pm

vivi wrote:
James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:26 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:36 pm
Not sure if this is unpopular or not. I suspect not, but I am going to put it here anyways!! :D

Please please please start coating the liners on DLC knives. They did it on the latest Yojimbo 2 DLC, so it is possible to do on comp lock knives apparently. The uncoated liners really take away from the look of DLC knives.
I agree with wanting all steel surfaces on DLC knives to be coated.

But for me, it has less to do with the looks/aesthetics and more to do with the added corrosion resistance of the liners, stop pin, etc. I know many say that DLC doesn’t help with corrosion resistance, but I clearly remember Vivi saying that in his experience it does, and I believe his experience.

Jim
Agreed on the DLC liners. In fact I'd rather have DLC liners than a DLC blade.

Anyways this is one reason I'm excited to carry and use this knife:

Image

The S30V version never showed a speck of rust, even on the uncoated pivot area. I'm extremely interested to see how the M4 holds up. Based on my experiences with the steel I definitely see the uncoated pivot area showing corrosion if I carry this IWB in the summer, but I expect the coated sections of the blade to be fine.
Hey vivi, so you did get one of those? I thought you passed on it.
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

vivi
Member
Posts: 7494
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby vivi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:21 pm

Originally I passed but I reconsidered. I just got it in the mail today.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby ABX2011 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:26 pm

Sharpmaker has very limited utility without the diamonds or CBNs.
Compression lock is my least favorite.
Models with a bushing pivot often have side to side play and that disqualifies them for me.
Polished G-10 and carbon fiber scales are great as long as the ergos lock in the hand.
Drop shut action is not desirable.
Spydercos for me have become mostly uncomptetitive due to price increases.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5138
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby TkoK83Spy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 pm

BobABQ wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:00 pm
I have a Sharpmaker but I almost never use it, not overly fond of it.
I also agree with this. I never use my Sharpmaker base...but I use the rods and free hand with them. I get much better results this way for some reason. I only used the based when reprofiling with the CBN rods, until I got a DMT Extra/Coarse double sided benchstone.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22228
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby Evil D » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:31 pm

Pineapple is actually pretty good on pizza :eek:


It's also really good in fajitas especially if they're grilled and slightly caramelized and crispy :D


SE > PE :cool:


SE is NOT difficult to sharpen! Tedious to reprofile, I'll give ya that but not at all hard to sharpen and keep sharp.


SE is NOT only useful for sailors and people who are lazy and don't like to sharpen their knives (quite the opposite I can assure you).

SE is NOT a saw, does not cut like a saw, and can slice as good or better than PE.


Choils are a waste of space on any knife with a grip that'll support a 4 finger grip. They're better than just a useless ricasso/kick, but from here on I think I'm done buying full sized knives with choils except for a few potential sprints.


Finger grooves are the devil. Shoes come in different sizes for a reason, finger grooves are like having one "average" shoe size for the whole population and hoping the majority of people fit into them.


The Para 2 is just ok. There are literally dozens of knives I'd choose over it. Definitely a great design, but I wish other models got the sprint attention that it gets.


I'm terribly bored with plain slab sided G10 handles. I would pay extra for some 3D machining or Shaman like contouring.


I just don't understand the appeal of wafer thin handles. I get the argument that knives spend more time in your pocket so they need to carry nice, but a Shaman isn't exactly a brick and I'd argue that the contouring helps to blend the shape into your pocket/hip vs a squared off blocky handle and the trade off in improved ergonomics is 100% worth an extra ~1/8 inch thicker handle.


Not so much an unpopular opinion but I wish Spyderco made more automatic models, especially if those models could be variants of existing models and especially if they use the Plunge Lock. To be completely honest I think I would prefer every Spyderco I own to be an automatic and use the Plunge Lock (where size isn't a constraint).


I've completely lost interest in thumb ramps and would be more than happy if every model made had a blade/spine profile like the Shaman. My thumb just wants to stretch out and relax.


Every knife that's going to use a lanyard tube, should use the kind that's incorporated into the clip like the Shaman/Caribbean. It's a more efficient use of space and I like that a lanyard is positioned right where the knife is clipped vs being offset to the side. It also eliminates the drama about clip position vs lanyard hole position (Para 3 I'm looking at you).


Sharpening choils are the worst trend in knife design since rainbow anodizing. Why would you WANT a snag point at the end of your blade? I've even added a couple myself in the past before I realized just how much this can be an issue. There are several models that have come out in the past 5 or so years that are amazing designs otherwsie but I've ultimately ignored because of this. Why can't this just be a single large serration??? That way at least it still cuts, doesn't snag, still functions as a sharpening choil, would be useful for cutting cord...it's win win win.


I miss micarta. I love G10 and polished G10 is an almost fair compromise, but I wish more knives came with scales like the Cru-carta Shaman. They just feel so great, almost "organic".


I could do this all day but it's kinda like peeing into the wind.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

vivi
Member
Posts: 7494
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby vivi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:45 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 pm
BobABQ wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:00 pm
I have a Sharpmaker but I almost never use it, not overly fond of it.
I also agree with this. I never use my Sharpmaker base...but I use the rods and free hand with them. I get much better results this way for some reason. I only used the based when reprofiling with the CBN rods, until I got a DMT Extra/Coarse double sided benchstone.
Have you ever tried using the sharpmaker like a bench stone?

https://streamable.com/7lpkll

Watch the end.

I get my best edges this way.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

Joshua J.
Member
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Central Alberta, Canada.

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby Joshua J. » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:07 pm

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:23 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:25 pm
Joshua J. wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:56 pm
Here's my mic drop of an unpopular opinion:

Spyderco should start using the Axis-Lock.

Maybe Sal is in a unique legal situation that prohibits it, but the patent is long gone, many companies have adopted it now and I can only see that as a good thing. Moreover I bet Sal can do it better than anyone else.
Spyderco should get in on the action.
I think I recall Sal stating that he's just not interested in using it.

We've considered it. We would want Benchmade's blessing if we were to use it. With all of the current BS going on (Covid, Lester's passing, etc. We'll look into it when the current issues die down.

sal
If it ever comes to pass my first thought is that the Tenacious line should be re-tooled for the Axis lock (especially the Resilience). The knives already have a very appealing design and changing the lock would be a significant upgrade.

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5991
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby Sharp Guy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 pm
Here's one: neither flippers nor their customers are the problem. The problem is artificial scarcity. Make more knives and there is no problem.
Definitely unpopular as far as I'm concerned. Of course sprint and (some) exclusive runs are "artificially scarce". They're LIMITED production runs. That's what makes them special and so desirable. Not everyone is going to be able to get one. I don't see why that's a problem.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

PStone
Member
Posts: 1382
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby PStone » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:44 pm

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 pm
Here's one: neither flippers nor their customers are the problem. The problem is artificial scarcity. Make more knives and there is no problem.
Definitely unpopular as far as I'm concerned. Of course sprint and (some) exclusive runs are "artificially scarce". They're LIMITED production runs. That's what makes them special and so desirable. Not everyone is going to be able to get one. I don't see why that's a problem.
I agree and disagree at the same time. I don’t see a problem at all. I love the sprint game. But I also don’t see artificial scarcity.

Spyderco regularly does “limited editions” that number in the hundreds, if not 1000+!! They offer vendors the option to do multiple runs on exclusives they commission as well. How on Earth is that artificial scarcity?

Imagine if they only did runs of 150pcs or less. Imagine only 25pcs of one sprint. Or imagine the sprints are made with only uber expensive materials and cost $1000+.

I feel Spydercos way of doing sprints is the absolute best we could ask for. Keep ‘em coming. If I miss one, I’ll have money for the next!!

vivi
Member
Posts: 7494
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby vivi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:25 pm

As for unpopular opinions:

1. I don't have any desire for a folder smaller than the Pacific Salt / Endura. For my uses there are no benefits to the smaller size.

2. I've never used the sharpmaker safety rods, the dvd or the lid to the case.

3. I don't see a point to putting bearings in knife pivots. It seems like unnecessary complexity considering how smooth a well made knife with washers can be.

4. For me, the axis lock doesn't have any advantage over the cbbl. Though, from a design perspective, it may fit into models where a cbbl would take up too much space.

5. I've always unlocked cbbl with just my thumb. Never handled a cbbl knife that was too stiff for this method to work.

6. I'd like more models with stock thickness under 3mm. Using a lot of SAKs and Opinels this year made me realize how excessive 3mm thick blades are for most things I cut.

7. I've never handled an after market clip I like as much as the standard hourglass clip.

8. I don't get the copper trend. Heavy, smelly, and IMO inferior across the board to Ti.

9. I prefer not to have drop shut action. I prefer to manually control the closing action.

10. I really don't like the sprint business model. Missing out on the Manix XL sprint after asking for a sprint for a decade put a bad taste in my mouth. Luckily I got one on the secondary market for a fair price.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

User avatar
Reject
Member
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Australia. Up a Gum tree.

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby Reject » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:31 pm

I was a Spyderco collector and I still have several hundred unused Spyderco knives locked up in a safe.
:D And I am ok with that.
How much can a Koala bear?

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5138
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby TkoK83Spy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:56 pm

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:45 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 pm
BobABQ wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:00 pm
I have a Sharpmaker but I almost never use it, not overly fond of it.
I also agree with this. I never use my Sharpmaker base...but I use the rods and free hand with them. I get much better results this way for some reason. I only used the based when reprofiling with the CBN rods, until I got a DMT Extra/Coarse double sided benchstone.
Have you ever tried using the sharpmaker like a bench stone?

https://streamable.com/7lpkll

Watch the end.

I get my best edges this way.
Thanks Vivi, I'll give that a try on my next touch up. I've tried it on the of the base before to create a "benchstone" with both rods together, but the very tiny gap between them threw me off. I'll likely give this a try tomorrow or Wednesday after work.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

vivi
Member
Posts: 7494
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby vivi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:14 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:56 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:45 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 pm
BobABQ wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:00 pm
I have a Sharpmaker but I almost never use it, not overly fond of it.
I also agree with this. I never use my Sharpmaker base...but I use the rods and free hand with them. I get much better results this way for some reason. I only used the based when reprofiling with the CBN rods, until I got a DMT Extra/Coarse double sided benchstone.
Have you ever tried using the sharpmaker like a bench stone?

https://streamable.com/7lpkll

Watch the end.

I get my best edges this way.
Thanks Vivi, I'll give that a try on my next touch up. I've tried it on the of the base before to create a "benchstone" with both rods together, but the very tiny gap between them threw me off. I'll likely give this a try tomorrow or Wednesday after work.
I've tried the bottom of the base but I found there's not enough clearance between the stone and sharpmaker base for me to effectively sharpen most my knives. Works great on a chef knife but on most my Spyderco folders the handles get in the way.

This way the stone has much more clearance. It can wiggle around a bit so you've really got to have a light touch, but I get great results from this method.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

wheats
Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby wheats » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:45 pm

As nice as it is to have variety in model and steel, I “could” live the rest of my life just fine with only a Delica(or even Urban) and a Dragonfly

murphjd25
Member
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Bothell,WA

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby murphjd25 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:14 pm

I have a unpopular opinion. Another exclusive PM2? :rolleyes: How many PM2’s does one man possibly need?
Josh

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5138
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby TkoK83Spy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:22 pm

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:14 pm
I have a unpopular opinion. Another exclusive PM2? :rolleyes: How many PM2’s does one man possibly need?
I think a lot of us, even people that actually like the PM2...are feeling this way. Count me in!
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

prndltech
Member
Posts: 1475
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby prndltech » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:25 pm

wheats wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:45 pm
As nice as it is to have variety in model and steel, I “could” live the rest of my life just fine with only a Delica(or even Urban) and a Dragonfly
As much as I’d hate it now that I’m so deep in the rabbit hole... a dragonfly would do it for me. I have a special attachment to an orange dragonfly and this is coming from a guy who usually prefers large blades.
- Shannon

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5991
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby Sharp Guy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:40 pm

PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:44 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 pm
Here's one: neither flippers nor their customers are the problem. The problem is artificial scarcity. Make more knives and there is no problem.
Definitely unpopular as far as I'm concerned. Of course sprint and (some) exclusive runs are "artificially scarce". They're LIMITED production runs. That's what makes them special and so desirable. Not everyone is going to be able to get one. I don't see why that's a problem.
I agree and disagree at the same time. I don’t see a problem at all. I love the sprint game. But I also don’t see artificial scarcity.
We're on the same page. I guess the artificial part added some confusion. They're just scare because of they're a limited run
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5991
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Unpopular opinions

Postby Sharp Guy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:44 pm

prndltech wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:25 pm
wheats wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:45 pm
As nice as it is to have variety in model and steel, I “could” live the rest of my life just fine with only a Delica(or even Urban) and a Dragonfly
As much as I’d hate it now that I’m so deep in the rabbit hole... a dragonfly would do it for me. I have a special attachment to an orange dragonfly and this is coming from a guy who usually prefers large blades.
Dragonfly (or Delica or Urban) is all I really need too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AHarbuck, GaryArt1, Google [Bot], JD Spydo, jensh, Mushroom, NJHitmen, Rp5, sabb8pro2, Sumdumguy, thefly01, vivi and 45 guests