Unpopular opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Unpopular opinions

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:26 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:36 pm
Not sure if this is unpopular or not. I suspect not, but I am going to put it here anyways!! :D

Please please please start coating the liners on DLC knives. They did it on the latest Yojimbo 2 DLC, so it is possible to do on comp lock knives apparently. The uncoated liners really take away from the look of DLC knives.
I agree with wanting all steel surfaces on DLC knives to be coated.

But for me, it has less to do with the looks/aesthetics and more to do with the added corrosion resistance of the liners, stop pin, etc. I know many say that DLC doesn’t help with corrosion resistance, but I clearly remember Vivi saying that in his experience it does, and I believe his experience.

Jim
Agreed on the DLC liners. In fact I'd rather have DLC liners than a DLC blade.

Anyways this is one reason I'm excited to carry and use this knife:

The S30V version never showed a speck of rust, even on the uncoated pivot area. I'm extremely interested to see how the M4 holds up. Based on my experiences with the steel I definitely see the uncoated pivot area showing corrosion if I carry this IWB in the summer, but I expect the coated sections of the blade to be fine.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote:
James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:26 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:36 pm
Not sure if this is unpopular or not. I suspect not, but I am going to put it here anyways!! :D

Please please please start coating the liners on DLC knives. They did it on the latest Yojimbo 2 DLC, so it is possible to do on comp lock knives apparently. The uncoated liners really take away from the look of DLC knives.
I agree with wanting all steel surfaces on DLC knives to be coated.

But for me, it has less to do with the looks/aesthetics and more to do with the added corrosion resistance of the liners, stop pin, etc. I know many say that DLC doesn’t help with corrosion resistance, but I clearly remember Vivi saying that in his experience it does, and I believe his experience.

Jim
Agreed on the DLC liners. In fact I'd rather have DLC liners than a DLC blade.

Anyways this is one reason I'm excited to carry and use this knife:

The S30V version never showed a speck of rust, even on the uncoated pivot area. I'm extremely interested to see how the M4 holds up. Based on my experiences with the steel I definitely see the uncoated pivot area showing corrosion if I carry this IWB in the summer, but I expect the coated sections of the blade to be fine.
Hey vivi, so you did get one of those? I thought you passed on it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Originally I passed but I reconsidered. I just got it in the mail today.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Sharpmaker has very limited utility without the diamonds or CBNs.
Compression lock is my least favorite.
Models with a bushing pivot often have side to side play and that disqualifies them for me.
Polished G-10 and carbon fiber scales are great as long as the ergos lock in the hand.
Drop shut action is not desirable.
Spydercos for me have become mostly uncomptetitive due to price increases.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

BobABQ wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:00 pm
I have a Sharpmaker but I almost never use it, not overly fond of it.
I also agree with this. I never use my Sharpmaker base...but I use the rods and free hand with them. I get much better results this way for some reason. I only used the based when reprofiling with the CBN rods, until I got a DMT Extra/Coarse double sided benchstone.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pineapple is actually pretty good on pizza :eek:

It's also really good in fajitas especially if they're grilled and slightly caramelized and crispy :D

SE > PE :cool:

SE is NOT difficult to sharpen! Tedious to reprofile, I'll give ya that but not at all hard to sharpen and keep sharp.

SE is NOT only useful for sailors and people who are lazy and don't like to sharpen their knives (quite the opposite I can assure you).

SE is NOT a saw, does not cut like a saw, and can slice as good or better than PE.

Choils are a waste of space on any knife with a grip that'll support a 4 finger grip. They're better than just a useless ricasso/kick, but from here on I think I'm done buying full sized knives with choils except for a few potential sprints.

Finger grooves are the devil. Shoes come in different sizes for a reason, finger grooves are like having one "average" shoe size for the whole population and hoping the majority of people fit into them.

The Para 2 is just ok. There are literally dozens of knives I'd choose over it. Definitely a great design, but I wish other models got the sprint attention that it gets.

I'm terribly bored with plain slab sided G10 handles. I would pay extra for some 3D machining or Shaman like contouring.

I just don't understand the appeal of wafer thin handles. I get the argument that knives spend more time in your pocket so they need to carry nice, but a Shaman isn't exactly a brick and I'd argue that the contouring helps to blend the shape into your pocket/hip vs a squared off blocky handle and the trade off in improved ergonomics is 100% worth an extra ~1/8 inch thicker handle.

Not so much an unpopular opinion but I wish Spyderco made more automatic models, especially if those models could be variants of existing models and especially if they use the Plunge Lock. To be completely honest I think I would prefer every Spyderco I own to be an automatic and use the Plunge Lock (where size isn't a constraint).

I've completely lost interest in thumb ramps and would be more than happy if every model made had a blade/spine profile like the Shaman. My thumb just wants to stretch out and relax.

Every knife that's going to use a lanyard tube, should use the kind that's incorporated into the clip like the Shaman/Caribbean. It's a more efficient use of space and I like that a lanyard is positioned right where the knife is clipped vs being offset to the side. It also eliminates the drama about clip position vs lanyard hole position (Para 3 I'm looking at you).

Sharpening choils are the worst trend in knife design since rainbow anodizing. Why would you WANT a snag point at the end of your blade? I've even added a couple myself in the past before I realized just how much this can be an issue. There are several models that have come out in the past 5 or so years that are amazing designs otherwsie but I've ultimately ignored because of this. Why can't this just be a single large serration??? That way at least it still cuts, doesn't snag, still functions as a sharpening choil, would be useful for cutting cord...it's win win win.

I miss micarta. I love G10 and polished G10 is an almost fair compromise, but I wish more knives came with scales like the Cru-carta Shaman. They just feel so great, almost "organic".

I could do this all day but it's kinda like peeing into the wind.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 pm
BobABQ wrote:
I also agree with this. I never use my Sharpmaker base...but I use the rods and free hand with them. I get much better results this way for some reason. I only used the based when reprofiling with the CBN rods, until I got a DMT Extra/Coarse double sided benchstone.
Have you ever tried using the sharpmaker like a bench stone?

https://streamable.com/7lpkll

Watch the end.

I get my best edges this way.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:23 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:25 pm
Joshua J. wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:56 pm
Here's my mic drop of an unpopular opinion:

Spyderco should start using the Axis-Lock.

Maybe Sal is in a unique legal situation that prohibits it, but the patent is long gone, many companies have adopted it now and I can only see that as a good thing. Moreover I bet Sal can do it better than anyone else.
Spyderco should get in on the action.
I think I recall Sal stating that he's just not interested in using it.

We've considered it. We would want Benchmade's blessing if we were to use it. With all of the current BS going on (Covid, Lester's passing, etc. We'll look into it when the current issues die down.

sal
If it ever comes to pass my first thought is that the Tenacious line should be re-tooled for the Axis lock (especially the Resilience). The knives already have a very appealing design and changing the lock would be a significant upgrade.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 pm
Here's one: neither flippers nor their customers are the problem. The problem is artificial scarcity. Make more knives and there is no problem.
Definitely unpopular as far as I'm concerned. Of course sprint and (some) exclusive runs are "artificially scarce". They're LIMITED production runs. That's what makes them special and so desirable. Not everyone is going to be able to get one. I don't see why that's a problem.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Here's one: neither flippers nor their customers are the problem. The problem is artificial scarcity. Make more knives and there is no problem.
Definitely unpopular as far as I'm concerned. Of course sprint and (some) exclusive runs are "artificially scarce". They're LIMITED production runs. That's what makes them special and so desirable. Not everyone is going to be able to get one. I don't see why that's a problem.
I agree and disagree at the same time. I don’t see a problem at all. I love the sprint game. But I also don’t see artificial scarcity.

Spyderco regularly does “limited editions” that number in the hundreds, if not 1000+!! They offer vendors the option to do multiple runs on exclusives they commission as well. How on Earth is that artificial scarcity?

Imagine if they only did runs of 150pcs or less. Imagine only 25pcs of one sprint. Or imagine the sprints are made with only uber expensive materials and cost $1000+.

I feel Spydercos way of doing sprints is the absolute best we could ask for. Keep ‘em coming. If I miss one, I’ll have money for the next!!
vivi

Post by vivi »

As for unpopular opinions:

1. I don't have any desire for a folder smaller than the Pacific Salt / Endura. For my uses there are no benefits to the smaller size.

2. I've never used the sharpmaker safety rods, the dvd or the lid to the case.

3. I don't see a point to putting bearings in knife pivots. It seems like unnecessary complexity considering how smooth a well made knife with washers can be.

4. For me, the axis lock doesn't have any advantage over the cbbl. Though, from a design perspective, it may fit into models where a cbbl would take up too much space.

5. I've always unlocked cbbl with just my thumb. Never handled a cbbl knife that was too stiff for this method to work.

6. I'd like more models with stock thickness under 3mm. Using a lot of SAKs and Opinels this year made me realize how excessive 3mm thick blades are for most things I cut.

7. I've never handled an after market clip I like as much as the standard hourglass clip.

8. I don't get the copper trend. Heavy, smelly, and IMO inferior across the board to Ti.

9. I prefer not to have drop shut action. I prefer to manually control the closing action.

10. I really don't like the sprint business model. Missing out on the Manix XL sprint after asking for a sprint for a decade put a bad taste in my mouth. Luckily I got one on the secondary market for a fair price.
Reject

Post by Reject »

I was a Spyderco collector and I still have several hundred unused Spyderco knives locked up in a safe.
:D And I am ok with that.
How much can a Koala bear?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:45 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
BobABQ wrote:

Watch the end.

Thanks Vivi, I'll give that a try on my next touch up. I've tried it on the of the base before to create a "benchstone" with both rods together, but the very tiny gap between them threw me off. I'll likely give this a try tomorrow or Wednesday after work.

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:56 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:45 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
BobABQ wrote:

Watch the end.

Thanks Vivi, I'll give that a try on my next touch up. I've tried it on the of the base before to create a "benchstone" with both rods together, but the very tiny gap between them threw me off. I'll likely give this a try tomorrow or Wednesday after work.
I've tried the bottom of the base but I found there's not enough clearance between the stone and sharpmaker base for me to effectively sharpen most my knives. Works great on a chef knife but on most my Spyderco folders the handles get in the way.

This way the stone has much more clearance. It can wiggle around a bit so you've really got to have a light touch, but I get great results from this method.
wheats

Post by wheats »

As nice as it is to have variety in model and steel, I “could” live the rest of my life just fine with only a Delica(or even Urban) and a Dragonfly
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I have a unpopular opinion. Another exclusive PM2? :rolleyes: How many PM2’s does one man possibly need?
Josh
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:14 pm
I have a unpopular opinion. Another exclusive PM2? :rolleyes: How many PM2’s does one man possibly need?
I think a lot of us, even people that actually like the PM2...are feeling this way. Count me in!

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

wheats wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:45 pm
As nice as it is to have variety in model and steel, I “could” live the rest of my life just fine with only a Delica(or even Urban) and a Dragonfly
As much as I’d hate it now that I’m so deep in the rabbit hole... a dragonfly would do it for me. I have a special attachment to an orange dragonfly and this is coming from a guy who usually prefers large blades.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:44 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
I agree and disagree at the same time. I don’t see a problem at all. I love the sprint game. But I also don’t see artificial scarcity.
We're on the same page. I guess the artificial part added some confusion. They're just scare because of they're a limited run
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:25 pm
wheats wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:45 pm
As much as I’d hate it now that I’m so deep in the rabbit hole... a dragonfly would do it for me. I have a special attachment to an orange dragonfly and this is coming from a guy who usually prefers large blades.
Dragonfly (or Delica or Urban) is all I really need too