Unpopular opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Unpopular opinions

Post by Sharp Guy »

You know what they say about opinions....
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StuntZombie wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 am
1. Bearings are great for people that like to "play" with their knives, but I don't think adding more small moving parts to a folding knife is a good idea. They turn a serious, useful design into a "toy" in my eyes.

2. Same with flipper tabs. There are too many factors involved that have to be just right for them to work reliably.

3. Steel liners on a FRN handled knife like the Delica or Chaparral are unnecessary. They add complexity and parts to knives that should be light use and simple.

4. The compression lock works perfectly fine for southpaws, and I think it works better for left handed people than right handed.

5. "Ergonomic" "curved" handles are actually detrimental to use and handling. More neutral handles with nicely rounded edges are better.

6. Standoffs are inferior to backspacers. Again, they add unnecessary complexity, and add more hot spots compared to backspacers. It's not that much harder to clean a knife with a closed back.

7. Drop shut action seems more like a design defect to me.

8. Flippers aren't the problem. People that buy from them are. The only way to deal with them is to not make it worth their while to buy up all the knives.

All good points, just slightly disagree on the highlighted one:

It is true that liners are not necessary on most (well made) FRN knives - see Pac Salt.
The Chap FRN though is an exception here I think. I cannot imagine that it could be made THAT thin overall and have only (very thin) FRN slabs. I think this particular model needs the added stability steel liners give (or would have to be made with a thicker handle if linerless - a bit like the FRN Native).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:54 am
Serrated edges are useless.

Thumbstuds are way better than the TRH.

Spyderco should stop making Sprints and Exclusives.

:p :D

... For a moment I took you seriously... :p
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:26 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 am
1. Bearings are great for people that like to "play" with their knives, but I don't think adding more small moving parts to a folding knife is a good idea. They turn a serious, useful design into a "toy" in my eyes.

2. Same with flipper tabs. There are too many factors involved that have to be just right for them to work reliably.

3. Steel liners on a FRN handled knife like the Delica or Chaparral are unnecessary. They add complexity and parts to knives that should be light use and simple.

4. The compression lock works perfectly fine for southpaws, and I think it works better for left handed people than right handed.

5. "Ergonomic" "curved" handles are actually detrimental to use and handling. More neutral handles with nicely rounded edges are better.

6. Standoffs are inferior to backspacers. Again, they add unnecessary complexity, and add more hot spots compared to backspacers. It's not that much harder to clean a knife with a closed back.

7. Drop shut action seems more like a design defect to me.

8. Flippers aren't the problem. People that buy from them are. The only way to deal with them is to not make it worth their while to buy up all the knives.

All good points, just slightly disagree on the highlighted one:

It is true that liners are not necessary on most (well made) FRN knives - see Pac Salt.
The Chap FRN though is an exception here I think. I cannot imagine that it could be made THAT thin overall and have only (very thin) FRN slabs. I think this particular model needs the added stability steel liners give (or would have to be made with a thicker handle if linerless - a bit like the FRN Native).
Yeah, I guess you've got a point on the Chap. Though, I think you could go with thicker FRN and still keep it very, very thin. Go with scales the same thickness as the Dragonfly 2 and you'd only gain .02" in width.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:02 pm
You know what they say about opinions....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:58 am
All of the money we have spent on Spyderco knives could build a literal subdivision
Get your rational thinking out of here!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
benben

Post by benben »

I like VG10........don't tell anyone!
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Here's my mic drop of an unpopular opinion:

Spyderco should start using the Axis-Lock.

Maybe Sal is in a unique legal situation that prohibits it, but the patent is long gone, many companies have adopted it now and I can only see that as a good thing. Moreover I bet Sal can do it better than anyone else.
Spyderco should get in on the action.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Not sure if this is unpopular or not. I suspect not, but I am going to put it here anyways!! :D

Please please please start coating the liners on DLC knives. They did it on the latest Yojimbo 2 DLC, so it is possible to do on comp lock knives apparently. The uncoated liners really take away from the look of DLC knives.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

My real "unpopular" opinion is that the FRN Seki knives are my favorite Spydies. I have been carrying my Enduras and Delicas 99% of the time for the past year ever since the Cruwear Delica came out. I rarely use any of my Golden models anymore.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Joshua J. wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:56 pm

Maybe Sal is in a unique legal situation that prohibits it, but the patent is long gone, many companies have adopted it now and I can only see that as a good thing. Moreover I bet Sal can do it better than anyone else.
I think I recall Sal stating that he's just not interested in using it.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I love vg10 and FRN
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Threads like this just go to show how different we all are in our likes and dislikes.

I think I'm lucky that I'm really not that picky. About the only thing I can think of that might be considered an unpopular opinion is that I have no desire to own a Military, Manix 2 XL, or Yojimbo. I'm sure they're great models and I'd probably like them but I have enough models I like already.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Moneyman wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:48 pm
I’m pretty new to this forum (18 months), don’t post much (4), but visit to read almost daily. I learn a lot, but one reason I don’t post much is it seems many of my opinions aren’t held by the majority of this community. For example:
1. My dragonfly feels like a toy. Also, the short wire clip is too rigid.
2. The compression lock hasn’t changed my life.
3. I think my Sage 5 is beautiful, but I don’t carry it because it’s a bit too big and I’m afraid of damaging it. Also, see #2 above.
4. I love my cheap Cat and carry it every day. In fact, my first one was stolen by the security staff at the Ryman Theater in Nashville and I bought another.
5. I love wire clips and black blades. There, I said it.

I’m not really new to Spyderco, just the forum. My first Spyderco was a Delica with the molded plastic clip. I lost it and also its replacement with the metal hourglass clip. Something about my body chemistry repels Delicas.

Things that keep me coming back:
1. I enjoy reading the opinions of others here and have learned much.
2. I get a kick out of some of the funny and inventive user names. Some of my favorites: Sumdumguy, metaphoricalsimile, and dread pirate. Princess Bride is a fabulous movie. If you haven’t seen it, do yourself a favor.
3. I just watched the YouTube video “Spyderco Shop Tour.” Increased my respect for Sal and Eric and cemented my opinion that Spyderco makes the best knives available.

Keep up the good work, ladies and gentlemen. Blessings to all.

Let's see, I've been coming here for 17 years and have never let it bother me that many of my opinions aren't those of the majority. :p

1. Don't care for clips, be they wire or flat steel, and remove them from any Spyderco I carry.
2. Don't like locks that favor right handed use, so no love for the compression lock or any model that uses it.
3. Think the Boye dent is ugly, uncomfortable, and unnecessary.
4. Don't like knives that are too big to ride comfortably at the bottom of my back pocket.
5. Camo handles are a total turn off.
6. Black blades only look good on double edged OTF autos and FB daggers.
7. Will take VG-10 or S30V over any "super steel" that rusts more easily.
8. Detest peel-ply.

There are more, but I think I've made my point. If we all liked the same things, life would be boring. Thankfully, Sal offers such a wide variety of knives that darn near everyone can find one they like.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I collect knives for strategic use....just biding my time with my edged weapons for the right application.

Try to not baton your knife. If you only have one knife, DO NOT baton with your knife.

Wire clips? If the knife has one, I do not care either way.

Linerlocks are pure garbage and I avoid them to save my fingers. I have very few liner lock knives. Frame locks are OK. Backlocks and fixed blades rule.

People need to have their heads examined for ignoring Spyderco fixed blades, which are some of the finest knives in the world. All of this chatter about folders is a turn off.

Make the blade-stock as thin or thick as you want Sal/Eric! Just have a plan and let us know what you're thinking.

Long blades rule! Make 3.75 the smallest folder, and 4.75 the smallest fixed, and I'm fine. I prefer it!!!

S30v is a perfectly good steel for a knife that would be better off manufactured in s90V or 20CV.

Make that S110V knife bro!!!

The Street Beat needs to be made in S90V. The Street Bowie needs to be made in 4V or better.

I don't care for all the goofy designed handles and blades that seem more like collector pieces than users

I never get in on sprints/exclusives. Forgetaboutit! Spyderco should stop making Sprints and Exclusives and have a Custom Shop online for hard to obtain steels and handles.

Users that buy knives with cheap steels such as "Surgical Stainless," 420, 420J, 420HC, AUS-6, 3cr*, 4cr*, 5cr*, 6cr*, 7cr*, 8cr*, and AUS-8 are buying little more than gas station knives.

Flipper tabs are wonderful.

Bearing pivots are wonderful.

Drop shut action does not impress me.

Lock stick s*cks.

Deep carry pocket clips should be included with every folder sold, no matter the manufacturer.

I don't like additional holes drilled in my right handed knives for lefties! Sorry lefties.

Emerson's sticky G-10 finish is the best, Spyderco's is 2nd best.

These comments will be ignored like all of my other posts!
Last edited by Naperville on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
sal

Post by sal »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:25 pm
Joshua J. wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:56 pm

I think I recall Sal stating that he's just not interested in using it.

We've considered it. We would want Benchmade's blessing if we were to use it. With all of the current BS going on (Covid, Lester's passing, etc. We'll look into it when the current issues die down.

sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:36 pm
Not sure if this is unpopular or not. I suspect not, but I am going to put it here anyways!! :D

Please please please start coating the liners on DLC knives. They did it on the latest Yojimbo 2 DLC, so it is possible to do on comp lock knives apparently. The uncoated liners really take away from the look of DLC knives.
I agree with wanting all steel surfaces on DLC knives to be coated.

But for me, it has less to do with the looks/aesthetics and more to do with the added corrosion resistance of the liners, stop pin, etc. I know many say that DLC doesn’t help with corrosion resistance, but I clearly remember Vivi saying that in his experience it does, and I believe his experience.

Jim
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Here's one: neither flippers nor their customers are the problem. The problem is artificial scarcity. Make more knives and there is no problem.
Last edited by Notsurewhy on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

A Lil' Para!!
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

I know that I do not share some of the same opinion as others here. I don’t like the compression lock, I have 2 Spydercos with one. A Lil’s Native and a Salsa. I like the knife designs, just not the Compression Lock. I do not like pocket clips....period! There, I said it! I do not like pocket clips! I do not like FRN handled knives, I had a Delica once with FRN handles, no thank you. They feel cheap to me. I have a Sharpmaker but I almost never use it, not overly fond of it. I much prefer Spyderco’s benchstones and the Worksharp sharpener. I am not a fan of the Military, had one but it is simply just too **** big to carry around in my pocket.
I do LOVE my Lil’ Native with a backlock, much easier to use compared to the Compression lock.