Pacific Salt praise

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Higher

Re: Pacific Salt praise

Post by Higher »

DougC-3 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:45 am
Higher wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:21 am
tonijedi wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:41 am
These last posts show the power of this forums.
Respect!

I am still very impressed by our friend DougC-3. We are surrounded by wonderful people. I appreciate it
Thanks, Higher, I'll have to try to live up to that. It looks like you have really "done your homework" as we say. I'll be looking forward to learning how it all works out.
I have some news.
I got these small axes. One 3.0 mm second 2.5 mm.
They both stood perfectly. Through holes inside them. Threaded.

Now I will need to find the M2 screws.
And a little regring these axes.

I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Higher

Post by Higher »

It seems to me that I will need to buy another pacific salt :rolleyes:

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Higher wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:31 am
If the pivot feels OK and not too wobbly, it looks as though you will be ready to go when you find the screws and grind down the ends of the threaded pivot and lock pin. :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Higher wrote:

That´s certainly a good idea anyway! ;)

Get the Pac Salt 2, I personally prefer its ergos over the Pac Salt 1 (though they are fine either, don´t get me wrong)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Higher

Post by Higher »

DougC-3 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:27 pm
Higher wrote:
If the pivot feels OK and not too wobbly, it looks as though you will be ready to go when you find the screws and grind down the ends of the threaded pivot and lock pin. :)
My friends! Thank you very much for your support!

Everything is as it should be. There is no backlash. Moves not tight, freely.
"pivot feels OK and not too wobbly" - That's right. The words were chosen exactly.

Yes, the next step is to find the screws. I took apart my home PC and old phones, four pieces
but couldn't find the correct screws :)

Now I will disassemble the microwave and the coffee machine. Maybe I can find suitable screws there. (of course not, just kidding) :)

Yes, then I have to grind off these pivots.

Higher

Post by Higher »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:42 pm
Higher wrote:

Get the Pac Salt 2, I personally prefer its ergos over the Pac Salt 1 (though they are fine either, don´t get me wrong)
You always write so interesting. I do not miss any of your posts.
Yes! I agree completely! I really like the ergonomics of the PS2.

I have about 10 pcs of Endura. And they are all ideal for ergonomics. If I understand correctly, the PS2 has a handle from Endura? But the difference is only in the liners in the handle? Do they have the same locks? and the distance between pivots is also the same? I have a little idea ..

vivi

Post by vivi »

Higher wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:17 am
Wartstein wrote:
Higher wrote:

I have about 10 pcs of Endura. And they are all ideal for ergonomics. If I understand correctly, the PS2 has a handle from Endura? But the difference is only in the liners in the handle? Do they have the same locks? and the distance between pivots is also the same? I have a little idea ..
The handles are basically the same minus the liners. There is some texturing on the rear end that isn't on Enduras, otherwise the outsides are the same.

Same lock and same pivot distance.

I really like both versions.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Higher wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:17 am
Wartstein wrote:
Higher wrote:

I have about 10 pcs of Endura. And they are all ideal for ergonomics. If I understand correctly, the PS2 has a handle from Endura? ....
That´s very nice of you to say Sir! I am glad you find something interesting in my posts, though tbh: There are very many here who know a LOT more interesting things about Spydercos, steels and so on than I do. :)

And let me say in return: I think one of the great aspects of this forum is that we get to chat with people from many different parts in the world, and for me it is especially interesting to "hear from" a russian guy like you :) I am glad that you take the effort to even use a translator in order to participate here!

/ I am one of those too who finds the Endura 4 ergos just perfect and even better than the Endura 3 (=Pac Salt 1) style handle. Never had any problems with the placement of the finger grooves like some others obviously do.
As Vivi said: The Pac Salt 2 now offers the Endura 4 handle shape, and should I ever have to replace my Pac Salt 1 I am looking forward to an for me even improved design in the Pac Salt 2 :) (though as said: The Pac Salt 1 ergos are more than fine for me already too).
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the PS2 is the way to go...and in full serrated Spyderedge. I have one in my cart again, but then there is that K390 Endura. Apparently, Sal thinks I am made out of money. :D :D :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I was worried that I would not love the 2 as much as I love the 1, but I have read enough to be convinced that I will love it at least as much. I may even slightly prefer it. I can't wait to get one, black blade SE. Now, if only my state, and the virus, would let me get back to work. Three months off, a month on, and now at least another month off isn't cutting it, pun intended.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the pac salt seems to be one of the more popular models among forum members. i wonder if it's as popular outside of this forum. i also wonder if part of it's popularity is that it's an endura with a more sturdy blade and a coating. i also also wonder why such a popular model doesn't have more variations like endura frn colors (or more) and/or a waved blade variant.

you couldn't take my money fast enough for a se waved ticn gitd pac salt 2.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:53 am
the pac salt seems to be one of the more popular models among forum members. i wonder if it's as popular outside of this forum. i also wonder if part of it's popularity is that it's an endura with a more sturdy blade and a coating. i also also wonder why such a popular model doesn't have more variations like endura frn colors (or more) and/or a waved blade variant.

you couldn't take my money fast enough for a se waved ticn gitd pac salt 2.
Based on Amazon reviews I read months ago, the Pacific Salt is indeed very popular.

Many "non knife people" described it has having good edge retention (for the PE version!) and I remember reading such things about it:

"Spyderco's masterpiece"

"Lo Spyderco"

"This is it"
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Over a year ago before my family trip to Hawaii, I should have listened to the recommendations to get the Pac Salt. I opted instead for the Salt 2, which is still a great and useful knife, but I’ve become more accustomed to a larger knife since using the Millie during this entire pandemic.

I’d love to be able to buy a black SE Pac Salt 2 with a yellow, orange, or especially a toxic green handle. I may at some point buy the blacked-out SE PS2 and the yellow SE PS2 to make what I want and throw the resulting-leftovers-knife in the glovebox.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Had to throw this one in here for you Vivi. :) This is my first Pac Salt, a mod/regrind I bought from a maker. It has a thin convex grind.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:23 am
Over a year ago before my family trip to Hawaii, I should have listened to the recommendations to get the Pac Salt. I opted instead for the Salt 2, which is still a great and useful knife, but I’ve become more accustomed to a larger knife since using the Millie during this entire pandemic.

I’d love to be able to buy a black SE Pac Salt 2 with a yellow, orange, or especially a toxic green handle. I may at some point buy the blacked-out SE PS2 and the yellow SE PS2 to make what I want and throw the resulting-leftovers-knife in the glovebox.
What I'd love is a Pacific Salt with toxic green handle and TiCN coated, FFG serrated blade in LC200N.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Woodpuppy wrote:
I may at some point buy the blacked-out SE PS2 and the yellow SE PS2 to make what I want and throw the resulting-leftovers-knife in the glovebox.
That's what I did. It's the best of both worlds, imo, and really should be a regular production option.

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I understand this knife is hugely popular in AK. I can understand why.

I want this knife in GITD.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Pac 2 is one of the few knives on my list of possible/probable future acquisitions. I have a couple Pac Salts, but I like the E4 handle design more than that of the E3. Not really sure if I’d prefer a satin or black-bladed version; my Pac Salts are both satin. Not that it really matters; it’ll get all scratched up anyway.

Jim
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:29 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
I may at some point buy the blacked-out SE PS2 and the yellow SE PS2 to make what I want and throw the resulting-leftovers-knife in the glovebox.
That's what I did. It's the best of both worlds, imo, and really should be a regular production option.

YAASSS!
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

You bunch of enablers. I haven't been able to make a GB2 rust yet I want this. In all black and serrated. I'm a bit sceptical of the hollow ground though, how does it compare to say a SE Endela which is full flat?

Edit: Or if we're talking all black SE knives, how does the PS2 compare to a Shaman when it comes to cutting performance?

My main uses are recycling, gardening, food prep, and package opening.
/ David