Best Spyderco for the $$

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Best Spyderco for the $$

Post by Wartstein »

I started a similar thread like a year ago (see here: viewtopic.php?t=83948#p1331538) and my choices have not changed since then...

Chaparral FRN:

For the money you get amazing built quality, fit and finish, and a great steel (XHP)
Also a perfectly executed backlock without any play (and featuring internal stop pin).
Furthermore (this is subjective of course!) a knife with a really clever design when it comes to what most people will use a small folder for: Reasonably thin, slicey blade, great ergos for the small size by making perfect use of the available handle space, and a lot of actual edge to work with for such a small package

Endura 4 in VG10:

For me the best value when I emphasize versatility and want a "do it all" folder. A lot of blade, not too thick, not too thin blade stock, light, slim, a good backlock, and VG10 imho is still a great "real life" EDC steel. This for really not too much money.

Now: I have to admit I have no experience with Spydercos "value line". Maybe for example I´d find the Tenacious LW SE the best Spyderco for the money if I tried one
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

The Resilience really surprised me. I got lucky and found one on clearance for $25.

Even at full retail, the Resilience is a great value, but i think the A11 Mule Team has been the best value for my money
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i also agree that the resilience is a great knife. even if it wasn't a budget knife, i'd still like it as long as it came with a better steel. in fact, i've asked a handful of times on this forum already for that to happen. a resilience salt with full liners and lc200n would be a dream (but it's also very close to a caribbean, so i won't hold my breath). on the other hand, i've also said that spyderco does their 8cr13mov better than other companies i've tried, so no problem there for it's price.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:38 am
i also agree that the resilience is a great knife. even if it wasn't a budget knife, i'd still like it as long as it came with a better steel. in fact, i've asked a handful of times on this forum already for that to happen. a resilience salt with full liners and lc200n would be a dream (but it's also very close to a caribbean, so i won't hold my breath). on the other hand, i've also said that spyderco does their 8cr13mov better than other companies i've tried, so no problem there for it's price.

A Resilience in LC200N (or another "upgraded" steel) would be great and imho really NOT to close to the Caribbean but offer some advantages for me personally:
- Linerlock instead of a comp.lock (in my use the better choice in a large, more "outdoorsy" folder)
- A lot more cutting edge (4.25 vs 3.67)
- Thinner blade stock
Downside: Rather heavy...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Bow River
Gayle Bradley 2
Delica wharncliffe
celestiaequestria

Post by celestiaequestria »

Manix 2 Lightweight, any of the Sprints or the Dusk Blue in CPM-BD1N.

If I could only ever own one knife, it would be a Manix 2 or a Para 3. The opening mechanisms on those knives, the blades, the scales, the wire clips on the lightweights - beautiful. They are just precision engineered goodness for someone who is an EDC knife enthusiast. They're more than the sum of their price tag and you will fall in love with those magical Golden Earth knives.
Red

Post by Red »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:02 pm
Endura for sure. Been carrying my two most of 2020. The K390 will be an instant buy and I'm hoping for Cruwear and non-zome GITD versions soon to match the Delicas from 2019.
I had to think long and hard between the Endura and the Resilience. Both such a great value for the money. Spyderco is far and away the best I have ever seen at providing a quality product at an affordable price. Their models under $100 are great. The more expensive ones are obviously even better!!
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
Red

Post by Red »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:38 am
Yes!! A Resilience Salt would be a dream to have, awesome idea👍👍
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, it would be the FRN/VG-10 Stretch 2. It has all the features I require in a primary EDC carry folder:

• 50/50 choil for hand protection and grip options
  • hand neutral lock
  • decent blade to handle ratio
  • handle long enough to be allow a full 4 finger grip behind the choil
  • handle short enough to ride comfortably at the bottom of my back pocket
  • steel that's decently stainless, holds an edge reasonably well, and is reasonably easy to sharpen
  • FFG blade that's not excessively thick (although I'll admit even thinner would be even better)
  • price tag right around the $100.00 mark
  • readily available if the need to replace arose
  • custom scales available
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Red

Post by Red »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:40 am
For me, it would be the FRN/VG-10 Stretch 2. It has all the features I require in a primary EDC carry folder:

• hand neutral lock
  • steel that's decently stainless, holds an edge reasonably well, and is reasonably easy to sharpen
  • FFG blade that's not excessively thick (although I'll admit even thinner would be even better)
Oh wow, ok now I want one!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

If the Rookie and Caly Jr. were still in production I would add them. There are so many great models from the past that shouldn't be overlooked. Those two should be prime candidates for a Sprint Run IMO.

They were both great for the price and both made great EDCs for a shorter bladed model. I've always thought the Rookie model to be the near perfect EDC model.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Red wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:46 am
The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:40 am

• hand neutral lock
Oh wow, ok now I want one!!

I´d recommend: Try to find the (discontinued) Stretch 1 ("one")!

Imho it does even better what the Stretch 2 does so well already (Stretch 1: Shorter handle (=closed package) with still enough space, longer blade and especially longer edge, and it is even lighter...)
Red

Post by Red »

Thats great, thanks for the info. Sounds like a very cool knife for sure.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I can second the Stretch 1.

It is a great knife at a great value(if you can find the deal). It has such a nice handle.

But, I still think the Caribbean is the steal! :D

If we are talking about personal values, I paid <$125 each for my Caribbean, Mantra 1 and Ti Millie.

Also, my Mantra 2 was technically free, that's gotta be the best value for money. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Delica 4
Delica 4
Delica 4
Delica 4
Delica 4
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Red

Post by Red »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 am
Delica 4
Delica 4
Delica 4
Delica 4
Delica 4
Ha, what about the Delica 4??
😀
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Red wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:40 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 am
Delica 4
Delica 4
Delica 4
Delica 4
Delica 4
Ha, what about the Delica 4??
😀
What about it?
🤪
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
jdw

Post by jdw »

When these threads pop up my answer is always the same. Cat. Value priced, G10, decent steel and a very functional design. If you are asking what's the best bang for a knife that isn't a value folder and you can actually find then I would say any sprint/exclusive Manix. Dollar for dollar I don't think there's a better value in the Spyderco line up right now.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Definitely NOT the DELICA...it was when prices were lower but man almost $80...nope. I will recommend para 3 lightweight at $90 or if you can find one, -manix 2 g10 rex 45. I paid $122!! That knife could have been sold at a higher price point like $160-180. I can't believe it was only $122 for what you get.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

If a better value for money pocket knife exists to rival an S110V Military, I haven’t found it. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin